PDA

View Full Version : February Entry: Ancient China - The Warring States

mogul76
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I created the below map for the main campaign of the << Qin: The Warring States >> RPG: TiÓn Xia.

It is based on the map which is part of the core rulebook. That map is available as a PDF file at http://www.cubicle-7.com/acrobat/qin_map.pdf

In find the latter map extremely beautiful but not very clear. That's why I chose to create a simple political map which is less << busy >>.

The coast lines were taken over from a map of Eastern Asia which can be found at http://english.freemap.jp/

I then added the details such as the cities and the state / commandery borders in Illustrator. The Qin-army symbols were later imported in Photoshop for aesthetic purposes.

This is a historical map, which is fairly accurate. I hope you'll like it, even if it's quite simple.

All the best,

Mogul76

PS This is the first time I participate at a monthly challenge :P

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
02-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for joining the challenge. To fit the rules though, you need to place some kind noble house crests, insignia or other symbol graphic for each of those territories to completely comply with the rules of the challenge. Glad to see another entry!

GP

mogul76
02-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Oh... :( ... How could I have missed that. Thanks for pointing that out, Gameprinter. I'll add them at a later stage. As a result, please consider this as a WIP.

Gamerprinter
02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Its both cool and strange, that we've never had an oriental map in a challenge, yet this month we have two!

Check out my Genpei War map, Mogul76 - its Japan, of course, however.

GP

mogul76
02-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah, what a coincidence, Gameprinter!

So far, I have only created maps for Chinese settings, though.

I'm a fan of the Warring-States and Three-Kingdoms period.

Here's my latest WIP.

I think that the Qin-army symbols didn't match the map style anyway.

By the way, the << state symbols >> are authentic. I was lucky to find some samples on the web.

PS The map which you have submitted is fantastic!

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Yee-hah! Another entry...

By my vaunted powers as Community Leader... I have updated the name of the thread to the correct format.

Midgardsormr
02-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Nice! I developed quite an interest in the Warring States period during a class in Chinese philosophy I took a couple of years ago. It's a fascinating bit of history.

Have some rep for venturing into the Challenge and for a cool map. And for using Illustrator.

mogul76
02-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Major update:

I decided to change the style of the map and give it an old-school, black-&-white, hand-drawn flavour (I like to look back at the good, old days :)). Lots of politically relevant symbols were added. I also drew the 2 most important rivers of China: the Huang He and the Yangtze (the Yellow and the Blue river). The unit of distance was changed from "kilometres" to the Chinese standard "li" (1 li = 500 meters). It's basically still the same map except for the change of style. 99% was done in Illustrator. 1% of postwork in Photoshop.

Hopefully you'll like it, because - as we German-speaking people say - "Ich habe diese Karte mit viel Liebe erstellt!" (I created this map with a lot of love). Constructive feedback is always welcome :o

Have a nice Sunday evening,

Mogul76

PS Thanks for your interest and the rep, Midgardsormr :P
I share your fascination for ancient China.

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
02-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I like this much better, Mogul! The other one looked more like an assignment from a grade school text book (not in the quality of grade school, but style.)

The new one has much more spirit and class, good job!

GP

ravells
02-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Much better style! Great work!

Ascension
02-15-2009, 01:48 PM
This is what's known as "steeping up". Very nice and clean, good job.

Steel General
02-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Nice work...

mogul76
02-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the fast and positive feedback. I'm happy that you enjoy the map. Below you will find a larger version with a few additional postwork corrections.

### Latest WIP ###

mogul76
02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Hello again,

I have posted the map on the official French forums of Qin: The Warring States.

The authors (and players / GM's) like the result and would like to print it, so that they can use it during their own RPG sessions as a handout.

I have therefore decided to adapt the size of the map to the proportions of an A4/A3 sheet. It's not 100% A4/A3 but - considering the fact that borderless printing is not possible on a b/w laser printer - that doesn't really matter.

I will translate the map into French this weekend.

Here's the latest result.

By the way, could someone please tell me why my current map doesn't appear with the other February thumbnails?

Am I using the wrong script?

All the best,

Mogul76

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
02-19-2009, 05:42 PM
That's great that the publishers like work enough to want to use it in their games! Maybe you can talk them into "buying" the map for users of the game and getting yourself published as a fantasy cartographer - good luck!

Regarding the script, currently it doesn't run automatically for updates. Rather, Redrobes has to visit the forum and run the script manually, but RR is a busy guy and can't always keep up with our own updates in our threads.

Its not a problem with the script or how you are labeling it for the script. RR has to be more diligent about updating it more frequently. So there is no issue here.

GP

mogul76
02-19-2009, 05:50 PM
That'd be great, GP. However - when I look at your work and that of others - I don't feel ready at all. Besides, I like my current job. Mapping is a hobby. I like my amateur status and want to keep it that way. Cartography helps me relax and I wouldn't like to create maps under time pressure :P

PS I know what a clic price is... I can calculate them... I know Fiery RIP's... PCL / PS PDL's ... As a printer, you probably know in which industry I work :P

mogul76
02-22-2009, 10:53 AM
This is just a minor update. The only thing which has changed since the previous version is the orientation of the Yin and Yang symbol. I'm not sure whether this update was really necessary (it probably wasn't... after all, Yin / Yang is all about balance...) and still need to figure out if there's actually a "correct" way to position it. But at least it now matches the Yin / Yang symbol which is shown on the character sheet of the Qin RPG. By the way, I have also translated the labels into French, which was a bit annoying since the font I used does not support the French "accents" (Ú, Ŕ, etc.). I had to add them "manually". Both the French and English versions of the map will soon be made available as a download on http://qin.tharaud.net/

### Latest WIP ###

mogul76
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Last-minute changes:

1. In order to comply better with the rules of this month's contest, I added little shields for each nation on the map. These represent the armies of the different warring states. The placement of these troops is based upon personal assumptions i.e. fictional.

2. I changed the symbol of the trading sites. The current symbol is a coin typical for ancient China.

3. << State seals >> has been modified to << State symbols >>. The second character of these << seals >> has been removed. If you take a close look at these characters (in the previous versions of the map), you'll notice that they can be divided into two identical groups. Although I do not read Chinese / ancient Chinese, I assume that they mean << kingdom >>. Hence, they were obsolete, unnecessarily taking up valuable space.

Many of the other entries are excellent! I nevertheless hope that these modifications will help me get at least a few votes.

Many thanks to those cartographers who have so far commented on my map & all the best to all of you,

Mogul76

### Latest WIP ###

Konrad Oldenhaller
12-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Very useful for me. Thanks a lot

I┤m searching for maps in the Cartographer's Guild and things like this map makes me feel very happy

Mogul76 your maps are unique and beatiful ... thanksss!!

(by the way, does somebody know what scale the map from the Qin Rulebook uses??

Urist
01-01-2014, 12:52 AM
(by the way, does somebody know what scale the map from the Qin Rulebook uses??

On the inside cover map, at the bottom of the legend it states 1 inch is equal to 150 miles. That should mean that the scale is 1:9,504,000.