PDA

View Full Version : A possible I.C.E. commission!

Gamerprinter
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Well the Iron Crown temple map contest, which was extended to the beginning of March, was really a foot in the door for me, as far as commission work for I.C.E. is concerned. Shortly after the start of the contest, Iron Crown made some deal with a company called 0one games, who had a whole slew of encounter maps for castles, dungeons, inns, over a hundred maps I believe, which are now posted for sale from the Iron Crown site.

Apparently they need a regional map that will contain all these encounter maps. They've developed the background story, and now need a large island to place them on. So I've been contacted by the Iron Crown staff to do just that.

Whether I win the I.C.E. contest or not, my real goal was commission work, so it looks like my strategy worked! I'll post what I can, if and when I receive the commission. I guess they are looking for a "Harn" look in the map, I'll see what I can do!

GP

Hoel
02-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey, congratulations! That's great news!
I know you'll make us proud

Steel General
02-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Way to go GP!

torstan
02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
That's brilliant news. I look forward to seeing the result.

Ascension
02-11-2009, 05:03 PM
The first step to world domination...put a foot in the door. Congrats man.

ravells
02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Congrats, GP, I can't think of a better person to bring it all together!

woekan
02-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Congrats, don't forget to post every now and then when you get rich and famous! ;)

NeonKnight
02-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Congrats!!

Turgenev
02-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Congrats, GP! Way to go!

Gamerprinter
02-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Looks the style of mine they like best is the one on last month's Lands of Crae map, but they asked me to throw on a hex grid and scale, so here's what they like for their regional map in style anyway... I need to make two maps, the whole island and a single peninsula, which is the starting area for their background story.

GP

Steel General
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Cool beans!

Nomadic
02-13-2009, 04:48 AM
Yea that's pretty dang awesome. Best of luck with it.

Gamerprinter
02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Ah, the trials and tribulations of the publishing industry.

The bosses at I.C.E. want to put off that project for a bit, so I've received a different commission on a different I.C.E. project - what do you know.

I'll post more when I know more - something to do with a book called Cyrandon and a detailed map of a peninsula going into the Carnal Sea.

Anyway, more commissions, always a good thing!

GP

ravells
02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Just as long as they keep you in work, that's a good thing!

Gamerprinter
04-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Finally got some I.C.E. map commission work. I've been given 7 maps to create, already completed with 6 of them which were all encounter scale maps, and this last one, which I'm almost complete. I haven't labeled anything, placed the town/village symbols or the roads yet - that's next.

Just for your perusal and critique!

This is supposed to be a map of the Awakened Lands. Apparently some catastrophe had "destroyed" this region and turned it all into sterile desert. But a recent magical source has awakened the circular area of this map.

Enjoy!

GP

Steel General
04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Interesting concept and your usual good stuff GP...

ravells
04-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I really like your handdrawn scriblbly lines....they add individuality to the work so it doesn't look like just another computer generated map. Great stuff.

Ascension
04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I second Ravs...the line work is great.

DevinNight
05-01-2009, 04:56 PM
great looking map.

Gamerprinter
05-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys, but of course, when working from a crude rough draft. Sometimes I don't see what the client actually wants so some changes, and still not finished.

The mountains were too wide apart, the valleys needed to be much narrower. They want town symbols, actually asking for top downs, but the scale is too large to facilitate that. So on experiment, I created some village, town, ruin symbols and placed them. I've got more to place, but somehow I figure some of village placements are actually towns, etc. So this is a temporary next step waiting for approval and further information to do a better job.

I improved the desert areas I think.

C&C welcome!

GP

Gamerprinter
05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Still need to work on the regional map, finish anyway.

Here is a not quite encounter scale map, I had to create for this commission. Almost done. The ruined village of Kaursar - ruins make maps of communities easy!

Enjoy!

GP

loogie
05-04-2009, 04:52 PM
nice work! i can't help but hope i had a little bit to do with gettin you together with ICE, I afterall posted the first ICE contest. With your work tho, it was only a matter of time :)

Gamerprinter
05-04-2009, 05:50 PM
nice work! i can't help but hope i had a little bit to do with gettin you together with ICE, I afterall posted the first ICE contest. With your work tho, it was only a matter of time :)

Speaking of which I keep expecting to see a "Loogie" map entry for one of the I.C.E. map contests and I never do.... come on, you can compete too.

GP

DevinNight
05-04-2009, 07:26 PM
great looking maps GP.
I like the revised version of the 1st map a lot better. It feels more natural with the grass line not being so drastic.
Your encounter map looks really nice too.
-D

Vroomfogle
05-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Great news gp - looking forward to seeing the end product. ICE will really benefit from having all the adventures and maps they have started to push.

ravells
05-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I really like those ruins! I know you're having to do these at speed (isn't Xara wonderful that way? I love drawplus for the same reason)....if you havn't quite finished the ruins any chance you could make little piles of rubble so the walls look decayed? For me it would really finish off the map.

loogie
05-12-2009, 08:47 PM
lol, i need the time and skill to do so my friend.. I'm still getting used to my tablet, and all the stuff i'm working on is bogging me down! I think I'll have to do a few free functioning maps before i try my hand at a battle map. hopefully in the future however!

If you want to check out what I'm working on, look in the city forum... got a crapload of time on the train to and from work to thing of ideas... right now i'm boggin down in setting the damn thing up.. but hopefully that will get smoothed out soon, and I'll be posting entries and maps again...

loogie
05-12-2009, 09:02 PM
BTW, i have the cyradon book, so i have a bit of knowledge of whats going on :P

Gamerprinter
06-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Looks the I.C.E. product I had been commissioned to create maps for has finally been published and now being sold online.

The main regional map is in the fact the cover art, hmmm.

Here's a link to that product sale page, if anyone is into HARP RPG by Iron Crown Enterprises.

http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_20&products_id=895

GP

PS: on an aside, the very first professional commission I did was for Dog House Rulez, back in December 07. They just contacted me and need some more maps - it feels like moving in full circle, back to the beginning!

Steel General
06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Great News GP!

Turgenev
06-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Cool stuff, GP. Too bad you can't get a cover art commission on top of the map commission. :P