PDA

View Full Version : February Entry: The Planet which has stopped

Qbista
02-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi everybody.

Short description of my project (please be understanding for my English grammar, I've do not have any time to correct my post right now, so probably it'll be full of some stupid mistakes ; ) ):

450 years ago, planet "Bachus" suddenly stopped rotating around her own axis, dividing the planet surface on two areas - one with permanent Day, and one with permanent nighy.

People from the Dark Side of Planet, started to migrate at the the Bright one terrains, instantly causing overpopulation. After few decades, people from the bright side, to prevent their countries from starvation, separated themselves from the Dark Side, building a huge stone wall across the border of light. From 400 years nobody haven't cross the Border.

Today, people from the Bright side, taking advantage from permanent day status, started to invent technologies, gaining control over the steam & sun power. Currently, their technology level is very similar to that one, at the end of Earth's XIX century.

Their perfect world fall down about one hundred years ago. After three centuries of of silence across the Border, suddenly, People from the Dark Side have attacked the Border. Despite they old, medieval technology, they've sent to battle unholy creatures, called to live with magic, which were forbidden on the bright side for centuries.

To defend themselves from the attacks, nine States, created after the subdivision of former North Empire, created a confederation, based on producing supplies and soldiers to defend they perfect world from the dark plague - quickly the formal reign of the confederation was given to Totalitarian Party, which had everything (including all living people) subordinated to the politics of saving the Bright Side - this way the 'Nation' was born.

Bloody politics of the Nation was the cause of tensions across it and the South Empire, and other, smaller States, that currently live in the fear of being conquered by the Nation - which is still needing new resources and supplies in order to continue they war at the Border - everything indicates that the only way to gain supplies will be the cruel expansion.

-------------------------

Map presented below is just a WIP.
It's the Political map of the bright side of Bachus; (none have ever went at the dark side to create it's map)
for now, you must excuse me, it's written in Polish, but I swear, that the final version will be done in English.

For now, here's a small dictionary:

Jasna Strona = The Bright Side
w roku 450 - in year 450 APS (After Planet Stopped)
Państwo - The Nation
Cesarstwo Południowe - The South Empire
Stolica - Capital Province
Królestwo Aleksandrov - The Kingdom of Aleksandrov
Hanza - Hanseatic League

all other names are Russian/Ukraine-based and they're just personal names of provinces and countries, they do not have any equivalent in English.

Currently I'am working on the rest of Political Borders, later I will note the Border, dividing Light and Bright side.

Yours,
Qbista.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Good to see you joining in... :)

joćo paulo
02-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Another good one!

Qbista
02-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Ok, Political Borders already finished, now it's time for the worst part of this job - Cities (i think that there will be about 2 hundred of them), rivers (maybe), and some other minor details.

I hope You enjoy it.

PS. Please look at the map using the maximum possible zoom - most of texture details are good shown only then.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
02-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Beautiful composition and colours, very nice indeed!!!

Gamerprinter
02-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I see, like others, you are using colors to differentiate between the different political entities on the map. Make sure you include some type of family crest, flags, banners or other type of insignia in each political entity as well. It is the focus of this month's challenge afterall - no exceptions.

Looking good so far!

GP

Qbista
02-12-2009, 08:42 PM
(...) Make sure you include some type of family crest, flags, banners or other type of insignia in each political entity as well. It is the focus of this month's challenge afterall - no exceptions.

(...)

GP

Today I've made some part of heraldry part - at this time, all 9 provinces of the Nation and the Kingdom of Aleksandrov have gained they're own emblems.

### Latest WIP ###

Talroth
02-13-2009, 06:18 AM
Just thought I would point it out, but if a planet didn't rotate around its own axis, then it would have year long days. You are looking for rotation synced with orbit, like Earth's moon is with Earth. The moon rotates as it goes around the earth, just the amount it rotates matches up in such a way with the amount it orbits at a given time to always point the same half of the moon at the planet. (And a far more possible event than rotation completely stopping. We'll just ignore that annoying little issue of anyone living on the light side of the planet would eventually burn to a crisp. Science seems to go out of its way to ruin interesting story lines,... Damn you science!)

Very nice looking map by the way. I'm really liking your colour and shading effects.

Qbista
02-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Just thought I would point it out, but if a planet didn't rotate around its own axis, then it would have year long days. You are looking for rotation synced with orbit, like Earth's moon is with Earth. The moon rotates as it goes around the earth, just the amount it rotates matches up in such a way with the amount it orbits at a given time to always point the same half of the moon at the planet. (And a far more possible event than rotation completely stopping. We'll just ignore that annoying little issue of anyone living on the light side of the planet would eventually burn to a crisp. Science seems to go out of its way to ruin interesting story lines,... Damn you science!)

Very nice looking map by the way. I'm really liking your colour and shading effects.

Im not so sure about it. Hmm... We have tested our concept with a bunch of physics and an astronomer, and we think that (of course not in our galaxy) this is possible. You're right - the rotation of Bachus is strictly synced with it's orbit (everything was based and tested at the model of Earth and the Moon). In fact, from physical point of view - Bachus didn't exactly stopped to rotate - but it's rotating nearly exactly the same around the planet as the Moon around the Earth - the time, that is needed to rotate over 90 degress is nearly the same as time needed by Bachus to travel 1/4 of it's orbit (it goes around on the circular, not hyperbolic orbit). In this way, changes of the border of light are relatively small (about 200 miles per year periodically), but this don't changes so drastically the fact of dividing the planet on two parts.

The only thing, that pretends me to call this planet stopped, is the technologic level of people that are living on is not such big enough, to prove this matter of facts, so they think (and also this information is passed in the public fame) that they planet has stopped.

And stay calm - they not gonna burn themselves. Temperature didn't go up - Bachus is still at this same position, so any changes of temperature or climate didn't went on it's surface - those are things linked with the move across the orbit, not around oown axis. Of course - at the first years people, don't used to the new way of living, was dying (about 25% of population on the light side), but crisis is forcing the evolution. Currently, on the light side there are living people, which were strong enough, to live in that conditions. At the planet surface there are still climatic zones - tropical, temperate - even polar, because the sun don't affects it's so much (they are living in the permanent 'greenhouse effect climate', but, after 500 years, they already learned how to survive.

But, of course, we didn't have any experiment, which would without any doubts state that this is possible.

RobA
02-13-2009, 10:45 AM
I believe the term used for this situation is "tidal locked".

-Rob A>

Bohunk
02-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Interesting question, so I googled What if the Earth Stopped Spinning?

http://starryskies.com/articles/2003/09/earth.rotation.html

Interesting.

Qbista
02-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok, almost all done.

I still need to paint those God Damn Cities ; )

(and end the translation)

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Very cool, the 'antiquiness' is very convincing.

Ascension
02-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah, that's lookin good.

torstan
02-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Now that is turning out to be a bit of a stunner. Great work so far.

ravells
02-19-2009, 02:29 PM
That is a helluva stunner. Beauty.

Qbista
02-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Ok. Almost all cities (Capitols and 250.000+) are done, railways in progress (I think less than 20% more to go with them).

Please feel free to C&C.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
02-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Very nice! :)

joćo paulo
02-20-2009, 10:56 AM
My other favorite.
Good luck.

torstan
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Looking good so far. a couple of comments at this stage.

Why do the Southern Empire and Kingdon of Alexandrov not get their names on the map?
The Hanseatic League name is very saturated along the country boundary and it throws it out a bit.
The railways a re very straight - is this all on a plain?
There are no railways leaving the countries.
What is the white region? I assume it is contested land, but with such clear labelling elsewhere, it's a little strange that the mapmakers didn't clarify the meaning of these regions. Equally with the regions that have coloured stripes - for example the island to the SE.

These are small comments on a lovely map. It really is coming together beautifully.

Ascension
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
This is awesome...spectacular key/legend. The only thing (IMO) that it needs is smaller font size on country names...they're quite big, dark, and dominating. I'd make the font size smaller and space out the leading between letters so as to fill the same amount of space horizontally. Really nice job.

Qbista
02-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Looking good so far. a couple of comments at this stage.

Why do the Southern Empire and Kingdon of Alexandrov not get their names on the map?

I just need to translate both of them, at the final job it will be done.

The Hanseatic League name is very saturated along the country boundary and it throws it out a bit.

I know. I've noticed it today, I'll think about it.

The railways a re very straight - is this all on a plain?

Nope, they'll be warped.

There are no railways leaving the countries.

I need to argue with that. International railway-links are very common and Europe is full of them - here there is an example - http://www.mapki.org/mapa%20kolejowa.jpg

What is the white region? I assume it is contested land, but with such clear labelling elsewhere, it's a little strange that the mapmakers didn't clarify the meaning of these regions. Equally with the regions that have coloured stripes - for example the island to the SE.

I now. I promise that at the final work everything will be done clearly.

Thank's for comments.

torstan
02-20-2009, 05:53 PM
I entirely agree with the railways! I come from the UK and even it has rail links to the continent even with sea in the way. I was meaning that there were no railways leading to the SW.

I'm glad most of the comments were things you were going to do anyway. Glad to see this coming along, and I look forward to the final version. I'd suggest bumping up the opacity of some of the heraldry in the regions as they are a little subtle at the moment, but otherwise I have no crits - this is great!

Qbista
02-20-2009, 06:03 PM
I entirely agree with the railways! I come from the UK and even it has rail links to the continent even with sea in the way. I was meaning that there were no railways leading to the SW.

Sorry, it was a little misunderstanding. ; )

Railways are not leading to the SW, because those terrains are on the Dark Side of the the Planet (I've mentioned about it at the first post) - Those lands are totally cut off from the Light Side. I know, that currently nothing indicates that, but all those things with 'the Border', and the Dark Side I've left at the end.

torstan
02-20-2009, 06:33 PM
I understand that there is a dark side. I'd just expected there to be some old tracks leading there from before the time when the world stopped. I can entirely understand if that were not the case.

Qbista
02-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Ok, I followed Your previous opinions, and I changed some part of those annoying bugs.

I hope, that now it looks better, still feel free to comment.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
02-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Ooo dark side, very scarey...totally butt kickin.

Steel General
02-22-2009, 09:26 AM
This is really quite good Qbista - if I didn't say so earlier it looks like it came right out of a old text book or something similar.

mogul76
02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
A very nice entry. Your map is amongst my favourites.

torstan
02-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Great work. This is a beautiful map with a very authentic feel. I think you'll do well with this.

Qbista
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Ok, all done.
I added all mising emblems to the map and done some changes in details.
I hope You'll like the FINAL version, enjoy.
(still - please look at the map at the maximum possible zoom.

Thanks for supporting my while I was creating this map, I really enjoyed Your help and criticism.

### Latest WIP ###

Hoel
02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Awsomer and awsomer.
I'd put a fair bet on you winning this one.
I think the old hand drawn style is a real crowd pleaser, shame for us realistic mappers...

joćo paulo
02-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I agree with the words of Hoel.

Very cool map Qbista!

ravells
02-24-2009, 01:19 PM
That is just simply stunning!!!