PDA

View Full Version : Old World Charm

saithan
02-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I finalized the land masses for the world I have been working on for my books.
but while fighting off boredom I took one of the sections and played around and thought I'd share what I have so far.

The text is hard to read in spots (I know), I just thought that the Flaws of this map sort of lend to its charm. (IMHO)
anyways, I created the terrain with fractal terrains pro.
the etch effect was created basically with xero lithograph and flaming pear india ink and a whole lot o layer modes.

again thanks the all the people of this forum for the great pointers and ideas.

Ascension
02-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Dude, that's awesome. Gotta get me that plug-in.

Clercon
02-13-2009, 03:40 AM
Really nice map.

Hoel
02-13-2009, 06:33 AM
How nice it is!
I'd love to open up a book and find this. Much better than almost anything I've seen in published litterature.

NeonKnight
02-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Pretty Sweet!

Eilathen
02-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Very nice. I totally dig that style. I hope to see your book one day.
Care to elaborate a bit on your story?

Steel General
02-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Great work!

woekan
02-13-2009, 09:02 AM
I love the halftone look.

ravells
02-15-2009, 06:31 AM
lovely look and feel to the map. The India Ink filters really rock. They are very generous with the demo download as well. It's 30 days free, unrestricted use. India ink is one of the most useful third party filters for mapping I have seen.

Eilathen
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
I need to bump this one.

Any news? Progress? It looks very good and i'd like to see more of it.

torstan
03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I missed this the first time round. That is a really beautiful map.

Eilathen
08-05-2009, 07:41 AM
To quote myself :lol:

I need to bump this one.

Any news? Progress? It looks very good and i'd like to see more of it.

saithan
08-05-2009, 08:06 PM
I really appreciate the interest in the stories behind that map. Valahn was originally created in 1978 for my old D&D group (yes that was 1st ed). It was a way to get away from the tolken euro/scan mythos the world rather resembled darksun with less desolation.

Valahn today as far as the books are concerned is a Low fantasy world in a pre tech era. The Cathian empire is most similar to the roman empire prior yet close to the fall. the world is still in an age of discovery which sets the tone for the first book.

the books follow a single bloodline of a no body character's rise to prominence , infamy and redemption.

the novels are going well I have 3 of the 4 books written in rough form complete, I am currently proofing and revising to allow each book to stand alone while also moving the main story.

Eilathen
08-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of work done on your books. Any chance for an excerpt?

Any news on the map? Is this the final version? Or will you do more work on it and if yes, what are your plans? Btw is there a worldmap where we can see all continents?

saithan
08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
that is pretty much the final version for the book, but there is a full world and places and subjects for other future works( I intend to write other stories based in this world). give me some time and i'll post a few things to give you a feel for what valahn is like.

Eilathen
08-07-2009, 06:35 PM
That'd be great, saithan :) Looking forward to it...

And please do show us your worldmap...and if it does not yet exist...what are you waiting for ;)