PDA

View Full Version : Terrathion

Historyhead
02-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here is my updated black and white map. I've now given it a nominal name and added mountains and rivers. I will be working on adding the countries and cities but report cards are in the way right now. Hopefully, I can get this down for the February challenge.

Jason

gorkamorka
02-14-2009, 01:21 AM
It's Iceland and over it Ireland on the right. But where did you get the large shape on the left? First I thought that was Svalbard, but that turned out to be wrong.

EDIT: Just read your other post on this map. The main mass in the Falklands (Islas Malvinas), Right. I Knew I recolonised it from somewhere.

Historyhead
02-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Yes,

What I've done is take some real world islands and rescaled and modified them. Obviously, Iceland and Ireland stand out. I've combined the three Falkland islands and the main group is the Shetland islands at a larger scale. Finally, I've use the Philipines at the bottom but just rotated them. I think it gives a good effect.

Jason

Redrobes
02-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeah I spotted Ireland right away - perhaps if rotated I might have missed it tho. Not a bad start but your gonna get a ribbing from players unless you can hide those places.

ravells
02-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Very nice....I have to say I didn't spot any of them! Really clean feel to the map which is really attractive.

bartmoss
02-15-2009, 04:39 AM
Unless this is deliberately a silly or "weird" fantasy world, you should definitely edit ireland and iceland, as they are quite easy to see. Just combining them into one island would probably already do the trick. The style of the map is nice.

Historyhead
02-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I've made some adjustments with Ireland and Iceland which makes them less obvious. Now to start adding country borders. I'm going to use a Mercator style. Here is the updated map.

Historyhead
02-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Here is an update. Have to add city names. What are some peoples methods for creating names?

Steel General
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
You can try this site that I found after a quick GOOGLE - http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

I'm sure there are other ones out there as well.

You know if you added some flags/coat of arms, etc. to this map you could enter it in this month's challenge.

woekan
02-16-2009, 04:00 PM
this is my favorite generator

http://www.squid.org/rpg-random-generator

Historyhead
02-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Here is an updated map with heraldry and city names. Everything is done using CC3. Thank you for all the advice and criticism. I've had the CC3 program for a while and have been interested in map making for a while but just never had the time to really get into much depth with it. This is my first finished map and I think I've just scratched the surface with what I would like to do in the future. Should I enter it in the February challenge?

Regards,

Jason

Fabrice
02-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Very very nice.

Go ahead and jump into the challenge. As far as I can see, your map fulfills the conditions... Good luck!

ravells
02-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Hi Jason - I think it's a rule of the challenge that people cannot post already completed maps that they have been working on for longer than the challenge period (to be fair to the people who are starting maps from scratch). The length of time that the map has beeen worked on is evidenced by WIPs posted by people as they they go along.

Great map though, I really like the heraldry!