PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing Findings...

Gamerprinter
02-14-2009, 03:30 AM
So, on a whim, I decided to Google some of the names of my maps I've created here, to see if and where they show up.

I was more than a little disturbed to find a Photobucket account "Pictures by Kreenakal" with hundreds of maps - most of them from the CG, including a bunch of mine, but there is no reference to where they came from, or who made them, other than the twisted idea, that this guy "Kreenakal" is the creator. I know I didn't give this guy permission to post my maps. So I sent an Abuse Email to Photobucket regarding that account.

Also curiously I found dozens of CG maps, in Gleemax Forums posted by a non-member of the CG, but I did find that he posted "here's a bunch of maps from the Cartographers' Guild"...

Just for those who use the maps found at the Guild. Most are CC licensed which gives you permission to use in your own personal games. The license does not give you the permission to post elsewhere online, without our express permission. Please, do not do that!

I've got no real problems with posting a map that has a link back to the CG, or to my own site, as long as you make it clear where the map originated and who created it. That's actually what I was seeking to find, when I googled tonight.

GP

ravells
02-14-2009, 03:40 AM
Good work GP and thanks for taking the initiative on this. I suppose it's possible that Kreenakal is using photobucket to hold the maps as reference for his own games, but if he wants to do that he should not make the album available for public viewing.

Heh...can't see any of my maps there, don't know if I should be relieved or offended! :)

Redrobes
02-14-2009, 07:51 AM
None of mine on there... I am disappointed :P

Well if he sticks to the CC (SA-BY-NC) where applicable then I don't care. Still its true then each member here makes their own license and without one stated then its not for republishing.

Its also a timely reminder that with a few of Kimmo's art on there by having the CC statement nailed as part of the image the license terms travel with the image. Its not enough that you make a text statement next to the image about its license as people don't take that and re-post it next to the image.

I saw Hoels and Torstans maps there too amongst many others unnamed - if they want to check.

NeonKnight
02-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Hmmmm, One of my maps there: City of Seawharf. Page 3.

Don't know if that means its a recent addition, or an old addition

Ascension
02-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Damn, that ****es me off...I'm flattered that he likes my stuff, but still a lil tiffed. On the other hand, I didn't see where he claims that he made all of those images and at least he hasn't stuck his name in place of mine. Obviously a lurker here, I'm wondering if there should be a letter of reprimand or something sent to him about banning his IP address. Maybe he should change his album to "pictures FOR kreenakal" instead of "BY kreenakal". With the wealth of pics he's collected, I don't think that there is a sane person who thinks that he made them all.

Steel General
02-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Probably 75% of every map I've ever posted here is on that guy's site. That's ridiculous!

Hoel
02-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Can't say I'm terribly upset, but I do agree with you, he is an asshole.
One thing thou, it would be cool to have a gallery of EVERY map posted in the finished maps forum. Just to be able to browse around for inspiration without having to go through all the threads would be nice.

NeonKnight
02-14-2009, 10:25 AM
We could just post a link to this guys site :P

Midgardsormr
02-14-2009, 11:39 AM
lol.

Thanks for the heads-up, GP. I've requested a take-down of the only image there that I want to reserve rights on, along with a CC license notice on the others that I made. As well as an admonition to give credit where it's due.

jfrazierjr
02-14-2009, 12:59 PM
I likewise have requested my image taken down. I can't believe someone would be so stupid as to think that they can violate copyrights of tens or even hundreds of people....

Nomadic
02-14-2009, 03:43 PM
That is pretty stupid of him to have done that and then named the album in such a way as to appear that he made those images. I am pretty sure he hasn't made a single one (I recognize things that aren't maps that I know aren't his). I hope we can get him shut down.

loongtim
02-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Despite my CC license, I discovered a long time ago that people are going to take your work and post it other places without giving attribution. Most of them are probably just ignorant and don't mean any harm, but sometimes you get people who try to claim your work as their own. So I just started putting a copyright on my maps with my website name since most people are too lazy to crop it off.

Steel General
02-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I've thought about it some, and the thing that gives me the most gas is that they didn't even ask!

Redrobes
02-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Can't say I'm terribly upset, but I do agree with you, he is an AH.
One thing thou, it would be cool to have a gallery of EVERY map posted in the finished maps forum. Just to be able to browse around for inspiration without having to go through all the threads would be nice.

We could just post a link to this guys site :P
LOL,

Maybe Hoel is right and that we should have thumbs for the images in a page. So shall I knock up a thumbnails scripty thing for finished maps too ?

Arcana asked a while back if we could backdate the TN's for the old challenges before we started doing the TN script. The thing is that with this or finished maps it takes a lot of cross reffing and building up the entry list. If anyone would like to help out in that area then we could get this done no prob.

Hope the script can be embedded into the site at some point then all your thumbs might get updated in a more timely fashion ;)

Being slightly more on topic again, your gonna have to accept that people will nick the images. You could watermark them or something if you feel really upset by it. Only if they start to sell them for any kind of significant profit without permission do I get flustered by it all.

Licensing your image is important.

joćo paulo
02-14-2009, 04:51 PM
"None of mine on there... I am disappointed" [2]

Ascension
02-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I always hide my name subliminally into everything (color, shapes, patterns, lines, sizes, etc. even if you have to zoom in to 1600% to see it) so that even if no one notices I know its there and its quite hard to crop that out...been doing that since high school. I also sometimes add my name to the saved image name like I do in the challenges but that can be easily renamed but lazy folks forget to.

Sigurd
02-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I'd rather not change anything no matter what anyone does.

Perhaps I'll add a 3% high band with some info at the bottom. That way if they want to they can cut it but people who care will have author info if they want it.

MadLetter
02-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Well bad thing, that. It will happen, though.. mostly because out of ignorance folks just post away.

If you take a closer look at the gleemax (WotC) board you might see a certain poster named Leichenreiter politely telling the map-poster to not post maps of others heedlessly, but instead link to the Guild itself. For informations sake, that's my account, and I thought something like this here might be the outcome.

Where was the Photobucket page you spoke about? I doubt it, but was one of my maps online there, too?

NeonKnight
02-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Well bad thing, that. It will happen, though.. mostly because out of ignorance folks just post away.

If you take a closer look at the gleemax (WotC) board you might see a certain poster named Leichenreiter politely telling the map-poster to not post maps of others heedlessly, but instead link to the Guild itself. For informations sake, that's my account, and I thought something like this here might be the outcome.

Where was the Photobucket page you spoke about? I doubt it, but was one of my maps online there, too?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;)

And by that, Link to the Gleemax post.

Here is the link to the aforementioned Photobucket issue:
http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg389/Kreenakal/?start=140

MadLetter
02-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Link to the Gleemax Thread in question: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1068720&page=4

The relevant post is #94 on page 4.

Edit: Wow, he really does have one of mine online, too. Without any and all reference to the creator of the map.

Edit2: SOmeone said something about licence. Do all works posted here fall under a certain licence or do we need to put the notice up ourselves? :)

torstan
02-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the find GP - those maps he used of mine are actually not even CC licensed. They were for a commission so they are fully copyrighted, and when they pop up in a window that says "Living Airship 1 by Kreenakal" it really is taking the biscuit. I posted a comment on the image requesting that it be removed. Now all we need to do is notify Wayne Reynolds and the legal department at WotC and we'll see that account vanish pretty sharpish.... :)

I hope it's just a young guy with no sense and that this gets cleared up quickly.

Good idea about putting the licensing into the image info. I'll start doing that.

Redrobes
02-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for that link. Now that I have looked at it he does say that a) he didn't create them and b) they were collected from the cartographers guild. I think links would have been better but links into this site don't show images unless your logged in.

When you upload an image here its yours. You own copyright to the image which means that you cant legally save a copy of the image to your HDD or use it without permission. Now nobody here is that fussed that they don't want it shared to some extent. Most people don't mind taking the image and printing it for your game and using it personally.

As creator of the image you have the rights to license your image or sell it or disclaim all copyright and make it public domain.

If you sell the copyright then you don't own it any more. Sometimes that's what happens when your commissioned to make a piece of art. Somebody buys the art and rights to it.

Most of the time however you license it and state under what terms you want people to use your artwork. You can make up any license you want but if your prepared to fight for your rights then it has to be something that a lawyer will defend which is not easy. So the "creative commons" or CC license was made where by you can take that license and apply it to your work. It comes in a variety of flavours where you can opt for some or none of the features. The usual is BY-SA-NC which means:

BY - you must state who made the artwork
SA - Share Alike, if you repost a derivative work of the art then you must do so using a similiar CC license to this one
NC - Non Commercial. You cant charge for its publication.

If you go down the public domain route then you give up rights. Anyone can do anything they like with your art as its not your art any more. This is the best artwork to embed into your maps as your completely free to do so. Note tho that history has shown that big corps who can afford lawyers might try to state that the art was in fact theirs all along and its then your job to defend the fact that it is in fact free again. Daft tho this is, that's how its become.

So most people make a statement about how they want their art used in a license terms that ought to be part of the image but often is just stated by the original poster of it.

So from my point of view. If anyone wants to use my art and its CC then as long as you abide by the BY-SA-NC then go right ahead. No complaints from me. This poster in gleemax has not abided by it because many of the maps are not CC at all and for those that were, he didn't post who made them. That's why it ought to be part of the image. Most people are too lazy.

You don't have to make a license but I recommend that you do. If you don't then by default you get the tightest possible - All rights reserved - anyway so its not something that means you lose your work by posting here. Note however that if you post to MySpace et al then you loose that right since by joining, your agreeing to give it all up to the owners of it when you post there !

jfrazierjr
02-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Link to the Gleemax Thread in question: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1068720&page=4

The relevant post is #94 on page 4.

Edit: Wow, he really does have one of mine online, too. Without any and all reference to the creator of the map.

Edit2: SOmeone said something about licence. Do all works posted here fall under a certain licence or do we need to put the notice up ourselves? :)

By default, your artistic work is under full copyright, meaning no one can do anything without your permission, at least thats what I understand..... You may use a license to have a less restrictive copy write if you so choose. Most people use Creative Commons in some form or another.

Nomadic
02-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Well it's good to know that my stuff is well protected. Though I hope jfrazierjr doesn't mind as I am going to steal his signature since I do want people to be able to use and modify my images non-commercially.

Torq
02-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Man, the thing that galls me the most is that most of my stuff thats up there isn't even the finished map but rather some of the earlier WIPs.

Torq

Arcana
02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
The overall disclaimer for the site is at the footer of the page...VERY bottom...if I need to make it more prominent I will, but basically stated, all posted content is owned by the poster. The Cartographers' Guild doesn't claim any right to your works except for the ability to use them for cross-site promotions and advertising.

Ascension
02-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Maybe put that part right under the title banner? I don't think it would mess up the aesthetics of the page too badly if it were there...and maybe a bit larger font size and in red :) Arr, matey, don't be stealin our maps.

ravells
02-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Harrrr! Make 'im walk the plank! I say....keelhaul him! String him up from the yardarm!

HARRR!!!

Steel General
02-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Tar and feather the scurvy dawg!

Nomadic
02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Guys, the February mapping contest is already over. :P

Midgardsormr
02-16-2009, 07:27 PM
'Round here, every day is Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Ascension
02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
It's part of the initiation ritual ;)

Midgardsormr
02-16-2009, 10:04 PM
How do I always manage to post at the top of the page break? It's just weird.

RobA
02-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Looks like the pb account has been shut down....

-Rob A>

ravells
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
The power of multiple complaints is amazing :)

Midgardsormr
02-18-2009, 12:03 AM
I'd imagine that breaks all those links at WotC, too.

Gamerprinter
02-18-2009, 04:20 AM
I'd imagine that breaks all those links at WotC, too.

Actually, no. The mods at Gleemax, managed to keep those maps, linked to by quotes from Seyon's posts, by the subsequent posts by guild members there, and thus hosted within Gleemax's system itself, rather than pointing links on the closed PB account.

However, the mods completely removed Seyon's posts otherwise, calling it a breach of the Code of Conduct, as a forum member on Gleemax.

Your linked maps in your post on that thread still point to those specific maps.

I know, because I checked.

GP

IngIngsvar
02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Firstly, I know the guy (IM NOT HIM)

Ill tell him that ur all ****ed.

He just knew from the people at the thread on WotC.

Hes in Middle School with me (hes 14)

He also took em' down himself (and the Photobucket site).

He was very distraught about the whole incident, and he did say in the first post that he got them from the Cartographer's Guild.

He also has no life.

ravells
02-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Good. Tell him he's welcome back here. But tell him to grow a sense of decency and honesty about using other people's stuff and he'll be fine.

jfrazierjr
02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Firstly, I know the guy (IM NOT HIM)

Ill tell him that ur all ****ed.

He just knew from the people at the thread on WotC.

Hes in Middle School with me (hes 14)

He also took em' down himself (and the Photobucket site).

He was very distraught about the whole incident, and he did say in the first post that he got them from the Cartographer's Guild.

He also has no life.

Thanks for the information. Most of us here are fine with someone using our work in SOME cases. The big thing is that most people allow use IF for personal/non commercial use AND giving attribution(the photobucket account makes it seem as if he was the one doing the work)

Some of the maps posted here are actually not allowed to be redistributed as the artist has sold the rights. In those cases, some of the maps the fellow linked to could put him (his parents actually) into serious legal trouble as a few of those maps are owned by corporations(who gave permission for the artist to post to a specific site, here for example) and those corporations may end up contacting him. In general, if you find anything on the internet that you want to use, make sure who your getting it from has the legal ability to pass it on and you have the legal ability to use said stuff.

Now, with that said, if the kid (or you for that matter) wish to post up some work you did yourself and ask for help, feel free.

joćo paulo
02-23-2009, 04:57 PM
He is just a naive kid.

Gamerprinter
02-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Look the photobucket site is down and his problem posts were removed, so no one is P***ed anymore. It was just worrisome when copyright written is freely posted without regard to our protected rights that's all.

Tell him, just to learn what he can and can't do and be more careful.

Being he was a 14 year old and had done this - its a misunderstanding on his part. So tell him to join the CG and we'll teach him how to map, so he can post his own maps and be proud of it (and completely legal too.)

We aren't upset with him anymore. Our fear was that some adult had completely disregard our protected rights and were distributing our work without consideraton of what a license is. Knowing it was the misunderstanding of a 14 year old, and the content is down. No reason to be upset.

OK?

GP

Redrobes
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Firstly, I know the guy... etc
I kinda expect my art work to be nabbed and reposted - its the modern way. I know it wasn't my maps actually posted but I would have been ok with it. It would have been better if he had posted the credits to them but I mentioned before he did credit the guild for them all as a whole. I kinda think that if anyone was impressed enough to repost my map that I make for people to reuse for free then Id be pleased at the thought he liked it. Still it was wrong of him not to credit it and there's a little lesson there but he doesn't have to feel devastated over it.

Oh and IngIngsvar, we all don't have a (normal) life over here. heh heh. Yay for nerdism, go geek etc :D

IngIngsvar
02-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the information. Most of us here are fine with someone using our work in SOME cases. The big thing is that most people allow use IF for personal/non commercial use AND giving attribution(the photobucket account makes it seem as if he was the one doing the work)

Some of the maps posted here are actually not allowed to be redistributed as the artist has sold the rights. In those cases, some of the maps the fellow linked to could put him (his parents actually) into serious legal trouble as a few of those maps are owned by corporations(who gave permission for the artist to post to a specific site, here for example) and those corporations may end up contacting him. In general, if you find anything on the internet that you want to use, make sure who your getting it from has the legal ability to pass it on and you have the legal ability to use said stuff.

Now, with that said, if the kid (or you for that matter) wish to post up some work you did yourself and ask for help, feel free.

Ill tell him that, and hopeflly he wont get sued.

He was really scared about what might happen to him.

NeonKnight
02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Not too many folks here gonna grab up a pitchfork and lynch him, so no worries there.

As to my map (only one?......:(), I had no qualms about it being there as I have posted it to a great many sites for view. I do though appreciate the little pat on the back and the warm kudos it gives me to know people like my stuff (see the Penny Arcade accolades for me Miniature friendly maps for WotC's Thunderspire).

So, no worries.

Redrobes
02-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Y'see theres a point there. If someone posts up stuff without asking we might have used art within the map and got permission to use it as long as we only posted it up here. That's particularly true for commissions where the person who paid for the map has an interest in keeping hold of it. So the fact is that *we* might get into hot water over it too and I think that's probably the crux of the problem. That sounds like a contrived example but recently I found out that the textures I have been using cannot be used in a CC work so suddenly some of my maps cannot be CC any more and therefore shouldn't be re-posted. So we don't want to be sued either.

Reality is, nobody is suing anybody though TSR who used to make D&D before Wizards / Hasbro used to be known as "They Sue Regularly".

Midgardsormr
02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
I wasn't angry, either. I just wanted to make sure that my name went along with the map that I had made available. I should have put it on the image itself, so there's a lesson for me in this, too. As for the other one, Imperial Vendria, I'll probably go ahead and release that one under a CC license as well. I'm not sure now if I'll ever get around to publishing anything with it, and I am pretty sure I could make a better map now, anyway.

Anyway, I doubt anybody here's going to sue, although I wouldn't put it past Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro, if any of that other artwork belonged to them. Their artwork is a real asset to them, from which they make real money, and they are quite justifiably jealous of it.

torstan
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM
The issue I had was that some of the maps posted had been created for a commission. The company I created them for might be a little miffed at them appearing elsewhere. Now that they have disappeared there is no problem at all. Definitely no harm done, and I hope he continues to use others art in his game! We post things here because we like others to use our art.

Hoel
02-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Personally I wouldn't be surprised to find other collections like this...
Putting things on the internet has a way of spreading them around, and I'm ok wit that. I'm all for fair use. I think nothing should be copyrighted except for commercial use (I won't discuss or argue this subject here) That's my personal opinion, but hey I'm swedish, look at what we have going on in our court right now.
Taking credit for someone elses work is another thing thou. Always credit the author.
Invite the poor kid to the guild and make him collect all the maps in the finished map forum in an on site gallery with proper credits as a way of making amends!

Gamerprinter
02-23-2009, 07:44 PM
I posted a "we're not upset anymore" post on the Map thread on Gleemax. The kid responded with a "thank god". But I did make sure he understand pretty much what Torstan, just stated.

Not ever map on the Guild is CC, and I mentioned how Publishers will call with attorneys and not upset CGers on a forum, so to insure he read the threads a given map originates, as it would be stated there if you cannot do so.

I didn't want anyone (at least the younger folk) at Gleemax to think we were too "stuffy" or anything. I wanted them to understand our rights and publisher rights. I still welcomed them to download our CC licensed maps for their games - a little PR goes a long way, as they say.

GP

Ascension
02-23-2009, 10:44 PM
He should probably do what I do...I just download and save things to my hard drive in a folder called "Cool Stuff". I put everything in there that is a cool image, funny picture, interesting story, etc. That way I offend no one and claim no credit but can look at the stuff whenever I want. If he's using his dad's pc then he could just save the images to a cd for inspiration.

I think the main thing rubbing people wrong was the title of his account...using the word "by" implies authorship. If he had instead used something like "Cool pics I found on the net" then he's not implying that he made them.

IngIngsvar
02-24-2009, 03:23 PM
He should probably do what I do...I just download and save things to my hard drive in a folder called "Cool Stuff". I put everything in there that is a cool image, funny picture, interesting story, etc. That way I offend no one and claim no credit but can look at the stuff whenever I want. If he's using his dad's pc then he could just save the images to a cd for inspiration.

I think the main thing rubbing people wrong was the title of his account...using the word "by" implies authorship. If he had instead used something like "Cool pics I found on the net" then he's not implying that he made them.

I know that is what he does, and in fact he never took any claim.

Its not up there anymore, but it said, in the first line, "Here are some really cool maps I got from the Cartographer's Guild"

He said hes really sorry and will be deleting his account.

IngIngsvar
02-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Personally I wouldn't be surprised to find other collections like this...
Putting things on the internet has a way of spreading them around, and I'm ok wit that. I'm all for fair use. I think nothing should be copyrighted except for commercial use (I won't discuss or argue this subject here) That's my personal opinion, but hey I'm swedish, look at what we have going on in our court right now.
Taking credit for someone elses work is another thing thou. Always credit the author.
Invite the poor kid to the guild and make him collect all the maps in the finished map forum in an on site gallery with proper credits as a way of making amends!

BTW: where would the tutorials be and how do you start a thread?

IngIngsvar
02-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I guess ill also tell him not to delete his account

NeonKnight
02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
BTW: where would the tutorials be and how do you start a thread?

Tutorials are in the Tutorial Folder:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

IngIngsvar
02-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Tutorials are in the Tutorial Folder:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Thx, and i firgured out how to make a new thread and ill be going over to his house today so maybe well start working on the new thread.

Also, how do the cartographers put the images in that little box that lets u pop-up the map

Redrobes
02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Thx, and i firgured out how to make a new thread and ill be going over to his house today so maybe well start working on the new thread.
Yeah, get him on here. He can say a quick sorry and then were all chummy again and we can make some maps.

I bet his intro post gets a post or twenty... :D

Karro
02-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Also, how do the cartographers put the images in that little box that lets u pop-up the map

When creating a new post, use the paper-clip icon to attach images.

Once images are attached to the post, you can insert thumbnails in the body of the post by using the paperclip icon to insert attachments.

Any attachments not inserted in the body of the post will appear at the end of the post.

Hoel
02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Press go advanced, sroll down a bit and push the 'mangage attachments' button
A window will pop up. There are some restrictions on file size...

IngIngsvar
02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
My friend, IngIngsvar is letting me use his account.

I am sorry, cartographers.

I never took any credit, there was never a sentence saying "Pictures by Seyon".

I am sorry.

I am making a compilation, you can go to it here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=51414#post51414).

Redrobes
02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey Seyon, How ya doing ? The idea of a finished maps gallery is a good idea and we should have probably done that in the past. We ought to sticky it at the top of the finished maps section and try not to post comments about stuff in there. In fact we ought to have a comment box in there about not wholesale posting the list about too and crediting the authors. And authors should edit a line in their map post stating what kind of reuse terms they would like on these images too. That would solve a lot of issues and bad feelings on both sides.
You can post 5 images in the same post but its probably best to do one each or at least group them by the same author.

And that was pretty big of you to come back and apologize. Good man.

torstan
02-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Certainly no hard feelings, and good to see you over here.

ravells
02-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the Guild! If you want help learning how to make your own maps, I'm all yours. Tell us what software you have and we can take it from there.

It's much more fun using your own imagination to draw your own maps.

But don't ever rip off our maps again.

Yours in the spirit of friendship,

Ravs

Steel General
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
S'All good...no real harm done.

Hoel
02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Not only are your apologies accepted, If you really make that thread with all the maps, you should get a small reward.
I posted the suggestion mostly as a joke, but I really would like that gallery.

Redrobes
02-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Steel and I are wondering if it might be better to get the scripting tool to generate all the thumbnails for the final maps. If thats something we all think would be better then he needs only gather the thread number, name and title of the map and block them all up and ill get a script to generate them all on a page. I am worried that the additional posting is using up more forum bandwidth and HDD space than is really necessary. If we can get a straw poll here before it gets too far in then we can do that instead.

Sayon / Ings - Check out any of the more recent challenges in that topic. In our current challenge topic there is a sticky thread with the current thumbnails. Do you think that would be a better interface to all these maps ? I think it might be.

Edit -- As in... http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Feb09.htm

torstan
02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm certainly all for that. All the attachments are here already, it would be best not to post them all twice.

Hoel
02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Better a gallery like the thumbs than a thread. Do the scripty thing!

Redrobes
02-25-2009, 08:08 PM
I have had a thought. Since the finished map topic is all about posting one complete map per thread I could use my indexing script to gather up all the thread IDs in that topic and then make the list up automatically too. So I think with a bit of elbow grease I can do a finished map index like the member intro index and the CWBP index etc - if your not aware of these then theyre all in my sig.

So I could get a version of this script to write the input to the thumbs generator script. May need some final CL clean up to add the odd WIP tag where people have posted more stuff in the thread after the final map but thats no biggie and it should be pretty obvious where that's required.

Gamerprinter
02-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Glad you made it here, Seyon!

Do Ingvar a favor and start your own account so we can officially welcome you. No hard feelings.

GP

jfrazierjr
02-25-2009, 09:00 PM
So I could get a version of this script to write the input to the thumbs generator script. May need some final CL clean up to add the odd WIP tag where people have posted more stuff in the thread after the final map but thats no biggie and it should be pretty obvious where that's required.

If you can find the first post and grab the first image. The Finished Map forum rules require the first post to be the "final image" to be eligible for Cartographers Choice, so that really should be the only image your looking for.

IngIngsvar
02-26-2009, 07:16 AM
I think that the way you have it in the link (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Feb09.htm) would work perfectly.

Here's the link )http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=51538#post51538) to the beginnings of the Compilation.

Midgardsormr
03-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I know it's bad form to dredge his up again. No offense is intended, but I thought it was hilarious.

The strip is W.T. Duck by Aaron Johnson.

RPMiller
03-07-2009, 10:17 AM
I wanted to toss this in in case anyone might be confused or unclear about licensing and also because it is a neat little wizard that gives you a license that you can use. I notice that some of you already have links to the CC site which could get you to this page as well.

http://creativecommons.org/license/

In addition, this page has all the various CC images that might make it easy for you to stamp your picture with. It also has some very clear definitions of what they mean:

http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

Finally, I wanted to mention that PhotoShop has the ability to add your information to your artwork and it gets embedded in the image data and thus travels with it.

File-->File Info... or Alt+Ctrl+Shift+I

RobA
03-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Finally, I wanted to mention that PhotoShop has the ability to add your information to your artwork and it gets embedded in the image data and thus travels with it.

File-->File Info... or Alt+Ctrl+Shift+I

Which is tremendously easy to flush out, unfortunately.

-Rob A>

RPMiller
03-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Which is tremendously easy to flush out, unfortunately.

-Rob A>
If the individual knows what to look for and has the software to do it. Nothing is fool proof, but the more steps you take the easier it is to win in court should it get to that point. The best way to win is simply make sure to save the original work with all its separate layers and effects. Still not a guaranteed win against a lawyer that can raise doubt, but a mighty powerful way to keep the jury on your side.

Ascension
03-07-2009, 02:24 PM
That was a good post RP about the licenses. I'm wondering if there is some way that we could incorporate this into our posting somehow...like have some sort of clickable button (like the WIP, TUT, POST, etc. buttons) so that it would get added to the post very easily instead of having to figure out how to put these lil doodads into our signatures. I, for one, have no idea of how to do that. Also it would make things more flexible since not every image I post is mine and nor should every thing I post be copyrighted since some of it is just ramblings or scribblings. Just a thought.

dlwest72
04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah agreed you should be credited for your hard work.

Naeddyr
04-08-2009, 12:55 PM

I'm not going to read the rest of this thread (when people on the internet go "oh noes someone posted my stuff on a photobucket account!", well, I've seen it before, and I've taken the stance that if someone isn't claiming credit for the work done (which crawls up my throat something fierce), I'm just going to go "oh internet, there you go again" with a small smile on my face), but I just wanted to note, because it's so easily verifiable and was the first thing that came to my mind, that that is the default page title for any photobucket account, ever (http://www.google.fi/search?q=photobucket+pictures+by&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=Kzv&start=10&sa=N). I checked this by checking my own Photobucket account, and lo and behold. I'm not sure you can even change the "by" part, even. It's pretty obvious that when you find a photobucket account lying around somewhere with a lot of pictures, it's going to be some 14-year old kid or a grandma's collection. If it was a private website, or a gallery site like DeviantArt, then it's more likely to be plagiarism, but not something like photobucket. Seriously, on the internet, verify first, witch-hunt later.