PDA

View Full Version : Brannaegh WIP

Morkhdull
02-14-2009, 03:00 PM
As I told in these post http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4269, the demi plane we're playin in consists in three continents.

So here's the second one - Brannaegh.

While Tenoctris has a jungle climax, Brannaegh is much more a Med-fan setting.

Made with FM8

C&C welcome - Enjoy...

Steel General
02-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Coming along nicely!

As a member of the River Police I see no violations. :D

Ascension
02-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Looks good, I like the pale colors. Might want to do the rivers in the same color as the darkest color in the ocean rather than that true blue...or maybe something in-between, not sure, I'd have to see. What's the deal on that orange thing? Is it supposed to be creeping out into the ocean? Anyways, like I said, lookin good.

bartmoss
02-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Actually I do have an objection about the rivers, or at least a suggestion: I think the distribution is too equalized. Except for that one area in the Northeast, you've used pretty much the same number and type of river on both sides of the mountains; however, this is not very naturalistic. At the very least, without getting into too great detail about how weather works, I'd pick one side as the one where prevailing winds come from and make rivers more frequent there than on the other side. (Since the number you have is generally good, I'd suggest removing a few rivers rather than adding them.)

That said, I agree that the style of the map is very nice, it will be very easy to read/use when done.

Morkhdull
02-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Thank's for comments.

@ Ascension :
- I changed the color rivers to fit them with ocean.

- The orange spot in the SW is called "l'ïle aux Infurnaux"
Once a isle populated by dwarves, these volcanic place was used by the blacksmiths of the city to create device of power.
But (as in another story) dwarves "dig to deep" and they connected to the elemental plane of fire...
By now huge fire elems and all that kind of menageries wander the place, while deep in the volcano mouth, in the ruins of the dwarven city flowed by lava rivers, tribes of fire giants serve a court of Noble Salamanders.

I confess, Ascension... As dwarven priest, I still have problems to control all the wandering elems... and still looking a way to give to the sea a look wich translate the flow of lavae rivers in the water...

@ Bartmoss

- You're totally right : the rivers aren't well distribued... The reason is quite simple :)
Actually, I made two "rivers layer". The first contains all the major rivers (fleuves), while the other shows the affluents and the hydrographic bassin. You guess that if the first layer il completed :)
The small rivers was actually on the good way "tobidone" but at a moment, my Valentine arrived on the scene...
And, as I confess to Ascension : I still also have problem to controle that "kind of hot" ;)... So I have to lay all that rivers unfinished ("many rivers to cross" - has he said)...

To finish the post, I'd like your advice on the look of the moutains range : it's a combination of blured layers wich become lighter with altitude and toped with a textured, very transparent layer.
For the highest range; I used small stepped bevel and blured fractal polygone topped with the same textured layer.

What do you think about the renders ?

See you soon :)

Morkhdull
02-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Well, this is an update of the map :
Each area has a color and a texture (helping to give a climax). Still all the small islands, I'm too tired to do it well by now (0.30)

What do you think about ?

woekan
02-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice start. I think the outer stroke needs to be lighter or opacity lowered.

Morkhdull
02-17-2009, 05:35 PM
And, oH bos, what a difference in the way to draw...

how many fine the lines are and how easy it's to draw it...

So, here's an update :P

Morkhdull
02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
This is the latest map of Brannaegh.

There's a scale and the names of the area are placed.

As mentionned before, each area recieved a colour to give a glance of the climax and to show their borders.

I choose not to show the small rivers (only the biggest are mentionned) to reduce the size of the file. On the original map (a bitmap "that size Huge"), many other details are placed...

To conclued, I would like to say once more that a pen table is much more funny and easy to use than a mouse, even with a CAD software...

Enjoy :) C&C welcome

Morkhdull
02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Since I get the pen table, things are viewed a different way...

So, I redo some map from the start and decide to show the level lines...

Following is a zoom of a zone 1600 km wide and 1200 km height

Karro
02-26-2009, 09:31 AM
I think your elevation lines in the first map here are a little to black and too heavy. I'd tone them down, go with a gray or some other softer color. On the close-up map you use a slightly darker brown, and I think that works very well.

Morkhdull
03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
You're absolutely right Karro...

So here are the latest step... Using some technic to (try to) give more texture to the wide spaces of the steppes and the prairie of the northen part of the land.

C&C, as usual, welcome...

Enjoy

Steel General
03-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Coming along nicely, though I think you should either drop the black grid or lower the opacity on it.

Karro
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I think that works much better than the black lines. It gets the point across, but in a subtle and less jarring way. Good update.

Morkhdull
03-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Following, is a result of a reflexion...

How to represent light wooded land ?
It was decided to draw light green landmass, very transparent and blured about 20-40%. Those patches were put under the relief, the forest and the rivers...

As I found that looks soft and representative, I choose to texture some other part of the map by the same technique... This is showed in the steppe north of the mountain range (choosing a "antique rose" colour) and on the western shore (choosing a drak grey colour).

Of course, this is surely not very realistic, but, it adds [AMHA] some "relief" and texture to plain zones.

Morkhdull
03-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Another UpDate : islands added and textured...

I know that the repartition of these islands is not realistic ; but remember the creation of these demi plane : overflown from a cosmic cauldron and laying on the floor of the multiverse while the gods were brewing a "what-it-would-be" world.

It apperas this map is finished at about 80%

Comments and critics welcome...

Have a goOD D@y

Map Vandal
03-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I really like the addition of the islands. It rounds out the map nicely.

Morkhdull
03-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Thx, Map Vandal...
Actually, I tried to figure the spits of the brewing overflowing on the multiverse floor...

Here are some other uPDate...

Mainly concerning the texture of some areas on the Far East... The colours used tend to be a bit odd ; to represent the corruption of these lands (where a big shrine of Orcus rules the place)...
So forests took a orange purple pattern, while purple scars crack the earth. On the other side of the mountain range, huge pools of slime and oozes (corroptèles, for example) fools the land while lazy and murky rivers bubble, carrying the rest of necromantic experimentations... The lich Verdunagus never stops his abberant and fool works...

oOps... By the way... I confess that these area are inspired by W°Warcraft... All my apologize ;)

Still to do : the texture of southern and eastern islands

Steel General
03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
No need to apologize for inspirations - most of mine come from books I've read.

Looks like you have some 'bleed-over' of the coasts in the funky colored area - was that intentional?

Morkhdull
03-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Well...

As RobA made excellent tutos, I wanted to try this software...

Here is the result...

The first map is the all continent at glance. The red selection shows what is drawned with GIMP.

By now, I think Fractal Mapper won't still so usefull

Just a word about the general colour of the land... Actually, this map was drawned with a Laptop. When it was transfered on the main computer, it seems it a bit "yellowish"... I don't know what it looks like in a printing version (next thing to do just after this post)...
Should it be to flashy, the overall will be changed.

Still to do : detailling the islands.

Critics & Comment welcome

Enjoy

Morkhdull
03-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry, it's late, by now, here ;)

This is the right map

Ascension
03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Colors look good to me, shrug.

Karro
03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Qu'est-que c'est "Terres Grinches", en anglais?

It looks like "The Land of Grinches" or "Grinch Land" which makes me think of a green, fuzzy, Christmas-hating fellow. This gives me an entirely different idea of the world than other names like "Sylphe Elfique de Loth Etiel" or "Thael Menethwynn", which are very evocative. But I'm guessing "Grinches" means something else and is outside my very limited french vocabulary.

NymTevlyn
03-27-2009, 11:04 AM
I like it, but the oceans look too much like your standard clouds render.

Morkhdull
03-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Thx for the comments... Actually, I was not very happy of the result...
Even the sea looks like a LYKK!d SkY...
And that yellowish mood hurts me plenty.

So I took the folder with the tuto by RobA and start at the beginnig step by step.

Night fall over Belgium... This is the map...

@ Nym Telvyn : "Grinche" is a shortcut for "Grincheux" wich means "Grumpy".
It a remote place, where the land is harsh and the life at least uneasy.
This land is the holding of an Orcish Warlord ruling over dozen of tribes and named "Mörkhdull" :P (guess what... He is très très fort")

As usual, comment and critics welcome.

A bientôt, mes p"**** Loups... Pour de nouvelles Aventures

su_liam
03-28-2009, 01:51 AM
You think m. Geisel knew about, "grincheux," meaning grumpy? That man was the KING of onomastics.

Steel General
03-28-2009, 08:10 AM
I like the newer version much better Morkdhull...

RobA
03-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Nice style!

Glad you got some use from the tutorial!

-Rob A>

Naeddyr
03-28-2009, 03:34 PM
I like, though I've trouble reading some of the text, like Les Contrefortes and Sylfe Elfique De... Loth-something.

Karro
03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
You think m. Geisel knew about, "grincheux," meaning grumpy? That man was the KING of onomastics.

I'm going to take a wild stab and say "yes", I believe he most likely did. It's too close a coincidence, otherwise.

@Morkhdull: I'm guessing the highlight/shadow bump-mapped looking regions are the Mountains. You might want to try upping the contrast on the highlights and shadows to make them stand out more. You might also consider blending in some different colors to help differentiate them.

I also found that some of the named regions are now more difficult to read. It looks like an artifact of decreasing the file's pixel size, possibly, so that we've lost some clarity on the lettering.

Morkhdull
04-02-2009, 01:45 PM
This will be, I think, the latest post about this map...

Mountains have been drawn in another way, some texture were added to the landscape, and I tried to harmonize the colour scheme.

As Karro mentionned, names were not so easy to read, so they've been placed on a bluerd square (hope it will be more usefull)...

Perhaps, you may say that some names aren't readable... The reason is simple, the original map is 18 inches wide and 24 inches high (the reason why you may see some lines dividing the map)

I hope this latest update will enjoy you and ask the permission to place this map on the "Finished maps"

Enjoy...

C&C, as always, welcomed...

Ascension
04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
The colors are great, very pleasant to look at and very relaxing. I thought the new mountains looked like big brown trees but if you're happy with it then that's all that matters...it gives you a unique style (which is always a good thing). Many of us have our own unique style that can be spotted a mile away and that's what separates us. The only thing that I think needs any work is the cartouche (the title graphic) but that's always something to work on for those of us who aren't graphic designers. Very nice job.

Morkhdull
04-10-2009, 05:57 AM
First, thank's for comments, Ascension...

One of the main themes of the campaign we're playing is the political and philosophical opposition between a monothéist and expansionnist empire hunting all kind of profane spellcasters and the pagan realms wich consider magic as a part of all things. They venerate druidic and shamanic forces, belonging no priests...

All these words to introduce the eastern part of the map ; permitting to show the opposition between the two major human factions.

For technical reason, the version displayed here is perhaps a bit small... Well, considere that the final version of the map (wich is hanged on the wall of our gamesession local) is made of 12 DINA4 sheets (108 cm x 60 cm).
The scale is 1cm for 60 kilometers.

Next step is to detail zones players travel in 1 cm for 20or even 10 Km.

It's possible to show all these twelves sub maps... Just waiting if there are any demand.

Steel General
04-10-2009, 07:22 AM
I like the overall map, but to me the mountains seem kinda "blobby" (for lack of a better word), but as Ascension mentioned if you're happy with them, that's all that really matters in the end.

Karro
04-10-2009, 09:25 AM
I'd say go ahead and show all 12.

I also agree the mountains look a little "blobby", but overall the map looks very nice.

Morkhdull
04-13-2009, 05:10 AM
And now...

The 12 works of Herr Mörkhdull (far away from the all mighty 12 of Hercules ;))

All maps are 1600 km wide and 1200 km height.

Morkhdull
04-13-2009, 05:35 AM
ze return de la vengeance du fils strikes back

Morkhdull
04-13-2009, 05:41 AM
Zissis the EnD

Enjoy...

C&C waited ;)

Morkhdull
07-14-2009, 07:33 PM
I like the overall map, but to me the mountains seem kinda "blobby" (for lack of a better word), but as Ascension mentioned if you're happy with them, that's all that really matters in the end.

Well, I'm back with all my wip...

This is a mix on relief works from "Variation on a theme" and my campaign world's map.

Actually, I looked to emphasize the 3D texture and reduce this "blobby mountains". So, the relief is made of 4 layers of colour. These layers are duplicated and recieved a relief filter. The higher is the layer, the greater is the bump effect.

The result gives some indication to draw the rivers.

Next step to do the patches of lands and some forests.
By the way, the NE rivers are crude green due to some fel effect and pollution.

Enjoy.

C&C welcomed

Steel General
07-15-2009, 06:09 AM
I like these mountains much better, though I liked the color scheme of the earlier maps.

This seems very light (and almost a bit blurry) to me at the moment.

Karro
07-15-2009, 01:48 PM
I agree on both counts. The color scheme on this is so washed out that it's hard to discern what's what. I'd suggest a higher contrast/higher saturation color scheme (more like what you have before) but with the cool new mountains. You can probably achieve this just by increasing saturation level of the colors.

Morkhdull
07-15-2009, 06:51 PM
So here are some land textures...

Far to be finished

zhar2
07-15-2009, 08:59 PM
very nice, i quite like the shape of the land, keep it up mate.

Morkhdull
07-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Textures and forests added.
The volcanic island is also redone.

[Edit : The second map is labelled and scaled. I thing it will be the final version of this map (wich will be hanged on ou RPG room)