PDA

View Full Version : Map I did for Tempest, an OGL setting

Turanil
11-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum (coming from ENworld where I saw an advert for it).

I created this map a few years ago, but recently re-worked it for a communal campaign setting on the Internet (Tempest). In fact the setting's other contributors soon discarded the map, keeping only the continents' outline for their purpose. In any case, I had decided to release this map as a "free clipart", or under the terms of the "Creative Commons License" if you prefer. So here it is for you to enjoy (I hope).

The map was entirely made with Photoshop. The small icons were hand-drawn, then scanned and imported onto the map. Despite the result is good looking, I think my next maps will be done differently, using a vector line software such as Illustrator.

Note that I created 3 maps in the same style for RPGObject's "Legends of the Dark Ages" (a d20 rpg supplement).

BTW: Sorry for the small size map, but I have been unable to upload the large one of 3.3Mb.

RPMiller
11-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Wow, I would really like to see a larger version of this. Do you have it elsewhere on the web that we can get to?

Arcana
11-22-2006, 12:12 AM
That is quite awesome...apparently I've got some kind of upload problem going on with larger file sizes...I have the limit set to 5 MB...so there shouldn't be a problem.

Are you perchance using IE? If so, what version...to avoid messing up this thread...PM me your answer.

Kepli
11-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Nice, nice, nice ... :D
Also would love to see a bigger version :)

Turanil
11-22-2006, 05:20 AM
I currently have this map nowhere else on the Internet. However, if some of you want to get it by email, provided you can get emails of 4Mb, I can send it to you. I don't use IE, but the integrated browser of MAC OSX.

My email is:
dominique.crouzet@libertysurf.fr

Sir Alain
11-22-2006, 09:43 PM
That looks awesome! Another candidate for map of the week, eh Robbie? *nudge nudge* :wink:

RPMiller
11-22-2006, 11:04 PM
I'll second that nomination. :)

Arcana
11-22-2006, 11:35 PM
That looks awesome! Another candidate for map of the week, eh Robbie? *nudge nudge* :wink:

So...we shoudl do it weekly huh? Or as often as worthy maps show up?

I think thats cool with me. I'll look into it tomorrow

jpstod
11-23-2006, 03:07 AM
Excellent

What Program did you use?

heruca
11-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Very nice map. I'm impressed.

Perhaps you could upload the large version to rpgmapshare.com, which I believe has a 10 or 12 MB upload limit.

JPS, he used Photoshop (said so in the OP).

Turanil
11-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Very nice map. I'm impressed.
Thanks! :)

Perhaps you could upload the large version to rpgmapshare.com.
Done! Here is the link. (http://rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_0=gallery&g2_itemId=40&g2_fromNavId=x9f1b1c90) :)

heruca
11-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the hi-res upload. And more-so for the excellent tutorial you posted.

Arcana
11-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Very nice..I also looked at that tutorial...I'm very familiar with photoshop and lighting effects...thought I'd add in there that you can actually set your light type to directional instead of spot, and it will light the whole workspace evenly from the direction you point it...

I'm working on the large uploads problem.

Turanil
11-23-2006, 01:04 PM
...thought I'd add in there that you can actually set your light type to directional instead of spot, and it will light the whole workspace evenly from the direction you point it...
You are 100% right! I discovered later (after having done the tutorial) that directional light works as well (if not better) with less work involved (you can do the lightning in one layer only).

RPMiller
11-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Thank you very much for the tutorial! I am a big fan of tutorials and haven't seen one yet that didn't teach me something new.

Koor
01-31-2007, 02:31 AM
Just one flaw I noticed on an otherwise perfect map. The river that runs through the Waeluhr Mountains, is actually running over the top of the "t" in "Mts", I only noticed it when I was looking at the feature map hi res image.