PDA

View Full Version : Exalted Map (West) - Yet Unnamed

MadLetter
02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
I will shortly start up an online Exalted Campaign 1on1 with a friend of mine and we came to agree that we would play in the West of Creation.

For those not in the know, the West in that world is a huge ocean with dozens of islands scattered about.

I created the below map and Intend to populate it with warring tribes.

It's currently still in it's infancy and as always I try a few things here and there, this time especially the water.

Enjoy and tell me what you think.

Also a question to my superiors in mapping: How to best integrate/create sandy beaches?

MadLetter
02-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Another question to those who know: How best to create a distance scale? My tries to create one with vector graphic programs and import them to my map always look... let's say horrible ;)

RobA
02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
What software are you using?

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
What Rob said..... we need to know the software. However, what I generally do is in GIMP is to go the easy route. My maps are always going to be resolution divisible by 100, so I make a selection 100 or 200 px long on a new layer. One really cool thing about the selection tools is that you can select a starting point in x/y coordinates as well as hard code a length/height. So, after making the first selection and filling with black, I make a second selection starting at the same x/y as the original on a new layer and make it half the size and fill with white. The process takes perhaps 1 minute. Of course, if you wanted to make a scale bar with 4 segments out of 100 px, that would be easy to do also, just a few additional selections and poof, your done. Personal preference, I tend to like rounded corners on mine on both extreme edges, but again, thats just me....

MadLetter
02-18-2009, 02:33 PM
I use Photoshop CS3. Started with Photoshop a few years ago and never quite got the hang of the GIMP...

Steel General
02-18-2009, 02:46 PM
JFJr's suggestion for a scale should work in PS as well as GIMP.

Regarding beaches, depending on the scale of the map beaches may not even be visible.

You could add a sand colored stroke of a few pixels and then slightly blur it to merge it with the ocean.

Normally after making my generic land shape(s) I would create an entire layer of whatever color/texture I want be beach to be then add a layer on top of that with my grass color/texture.

Midgardsormr
02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
I believe CS3 has some analysis tools. If you know the scale ratio--how many miles or feet to the pixel--you can tell Photoshop to generate a scale marker of a particular width and length.

Analysis > Place Scale Marker

MadLetter
02-20-2009, 02:22 AM
Okay, thanks for the tips guys, I did some work and here's what came out so far.

Still not implemented:
* Woods and Palms
* Cities and Locations
* Rivers

For informations sake it's an island-nation in a very southern climate, hot like hell and all. Normal temperatures around 30 to 40 C

landorl
02-21-2009, 08:54 PM
This is coming along pretty well. I can't wait to see more!

MadLetter
02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Update. One picture is for the Clans and their Territory, the other one is the map with rivers and stuff ;)

Opinions? Criticism?

Steel General
02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Coming along nicely.

I think I would make the beaches a bit more tan, the yellow seema little 'over-the-top' (at least for me)

MadLetter
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah the beaches look overdone... I've tried a little here and there, but nothing good came out as of yet... still trying :)

Steel General
02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Maybe try a pattern overlay/texture rather than just a strait color.

MadLetter
02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Even though I dislike using textures, I tried it and it doesnt look too bad.

I got two variants, which one do you folks think is better?

MadLetter
02-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Anyone...? :-/

Ascension
02-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, honestly, I don't see a difference between the two or from the previous post...could be me. Therefore I don't really have much to add, sorry. Keep pluging away as you see fit and keep us posted.

MadLetter
03-01-2009, 12:29 AM
The difference is the beach texture. One is more grain-y and brown the other one is more yellowish and with dunes... :)

Karro
03-04-2009, 10:40 AM
The one without the pattern that I presume are the dunes looks better, IMO.