PDA

View Full Version : Hand-drawn map I did for a friend's campaign world

Turanil
11-23-2006, 03:07 AM
Very different from the Tempest Map, and certainly less good looking. Nonetheless, I put it there because it is different, totally hand drawn.

It was for a friend's homebrew campaign setting, a long time ago.

I put it there small size, since uploading large files seems impossible. :?

Arcana
11-23-2006, 10:47 AM
THAT is nice...very nice. LOVE the cliffs and hills.

I'm actually very impressed that the lettering is so consistent...a lot of stuff on this map is very consistently done...Very professional and its hard to even tell its hand drawn because its so well inked.

Its VERy good to see some traditional means maps on here hehehe

Turanil
11-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Hey! Thank you very much! :)

RPMiller
11-23-2006, 02:20 PM
That is hand drawn?! Wow! Now that is impressive. Even though it has a sort of "comic book" feel to it, it is a striking map and very professional. In fact, I honestly think this is a contender for Featured Map. I would love to figure out how to echo this style using CC. Since this is a line map, I can't imagine it would be very difficult.

Yes, I'm very impressed.

Turanil
11-24-2006, 06:55 AM
I would love to figure out how to echo this style using CC. Since this is a line map, I can't imagine it would be very difficult.
For the font, it would just be a matter of using a "medieval hand drawn" font (browse this font website (http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=401) to get a few). Then, there would be a need to create hand drawn b&w line symbols and import them into CC. I already have some material that could be used, and could create some more. The problem however, is that I don't know how to turn hand drawn scanned pics into CC elements and import them into the software (plus I don't have it too). This is nonetheless something I have been thinking of doing (huh... someday). I considered doing such elements convert them into Illustrator format, to create such maps with Illustrator. But the problem remains the same for "how to do that".

Yes, I'm very impressed.
Thanks! :)

Arcana
11-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Well now with CC3, you don't have to do that...you can turn them into hi-res png's and import them into CC3.

RPMiller
11-24-2006, 12:49 PM
I seem to recall that you could import from Illustrator into CC, but having never done it myself, I'm not sure how either. :?:

As Arcana said you can import graphics directly into CC3 now, plus you could also drop in scanned images and trace them with the vector tools, but if you have Illustrator you'll probably get even better results using it.

loydb
11-26-2006, 10:54 AM
That's really nice, I love the hand-drawn look.

ravells
11-26-2006, 07:54 PM
I can't see the map, I just see a table with the description and how often it's been uploaded...not sure what I'm not doing.

Ravs

RPMiller
11-27-2006, 10:31 AM
That is odd. What browser are you using? Did you turn off images by any chance?

Arcana
11-27-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure what the type is, but some png's have a hard time being displayed by IE.

RPMiller
11-27-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't think that is a problem since that is a jpg above... :?:

Arcana
11-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I don't think that is a problem since that is a jpg above... :?:

I just found out I could read actually...just now...hehehe I guess I should pay more attention huh?

As for the problem, thats really odd, and if its not happening to multiple people I can't even imagine what would be causing it.

ravells
12-03-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm using IE. How can I tell if I have images disabled? I don't seem to have a problem seeing other maps posted here...weird.

Thanks in advance

Ravs

loydb
12-04-2006, 11:42 AM
At the risk of being flippant, switch to Firefox. Way more secure...

Arcana
12-04-2006, 11:48 AM
I actually agree with loydb there...if it makes you feel any better...70% of this sites visitors use firefox according to my site stats.

As for why the image isn't showing...I have no clue...the thumbnails are generated using php's GD extension...maybe it does something that IE just doesn't like...I'll ask around on the phpbb site.

ravells
12-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Ah ha! I can see the map on my office computer...I wonder whether it might be my anti virus/spyware program? I think I will switch to firefox. I've heard so many good things about it.

Lovely map. Book illustration quality. I think the look and feel of it is excellent. Beautiful use of line weight too.

cheers

Ravs

ravells
12-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Well I'm using firefox now, but still can't see the image on my home computer. Must be a Zone Alarm Pro thing.

Ravs

Arcana
12-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Thats the oddest thing I can think of...weird...I have no clue...maybe it is yer firewall.

RPMiller
12-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Zone Alarm?! :shock:

I won't go into the tirade that is my hatred for that useless piece of software, but yea. It could, and probably is the reason for your pain.

grumble... zone alarm.... grumble

ravells
12-06-2006, 02:49 AM
Ah well, no worries, at least I got to see the map from the office.

I love firefox by the way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ravs

RPMiller
12-06-2006, 11:14 AM
There are some really great plugins for FireFox as well that really put it heads and shoulders above any other browser. My personal favorites are the spell checker, Google synchronizer and CSS toolbar. The spell checker automatically spell checks in any text box as you type. The synchronizer syncs all your favorites, passwords, history, etc between every computer that you use so I can travel between work, home, and my laptop and always have everything setup the way I want with all my passwords and everything and it is secure protected by a master password that is routinely checked. Finally the CSS toolbar allows me to look at CSS of any site and even make real time changes to it to see how it would look, and I can even over ride it for my own viewing.

The Cartographist
12-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Turanil - Went back through the Finished Maps this morning since I've got some free time on my hands. I love this map. Clean, professional, and easy on the eyes. As someone else said, it has a slightly "comic book" feel to it, but I don't think that that detracts at all.

Hope you don't mind me dredging up year-old material.

RobA
12-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks for bumping it with your comment. I hadn't noticed this map the first time.

I really like the look of isometric "maps" like this. Anyone have pointers on how to make them?

-Rob A>

Midgardsormr
12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Yes indeed, thanks for the bump; I hadn't seen this one, either.

Redrobes
12-13-2007, 05:20 PM
I saw this on the RPGMapshare - theres a nice hi-res version there...

http://www.rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=11451&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I remember this one as I commented on it. Its really great.

Turanil
04-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi. I am back after a very long time of absence. I have just bought CC3. I have plans for turning some of my drawings of mountains, castles, etc. into png. files (thanks for the tip) to put into CC3, so it will ease my work of such maps. Especially since I want to map a homebrew world with several maps, but not draw everything...

RPMiller
04-23-2008, 11:51 AM
I look forward to watching things unfold. If you wouldn't mind, I think the folks in the World Building project could use your work if you were interested in sharing, or better yet contributing.

jaerdaph
04-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I hadn't seen this map before either so thanks for the bump - very nice! I know of Turanil from EN World, but I never knew he had such artistic talent!

Sirith
05-03-2008, 07:23 AM
I saw this on the RPGMapshare - theres a nice hi-res version there...

http://www.rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=11451&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I remember this one as I commented on it. Its really great.

I saw this map before, but the version uploaded here is kinda small. That high res is really awesome. The lines are really clean and cartoony, I like it a lot.

And the remark in the right lower corner is nice ('sorry if unpronouncable') ;).

delgondahntelius
05-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Love the map, can't wait to see some CC3 maps :)