View Full Version : Verigan Coast

02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Playing around with styles, thought I would show you guys this one. Parchment map, I wanna throw some sea creatures and some more towns etc.

Steel General
02-16-2009, 06:17 PM

02-16-2009, 06:32 PM
OMG, that is just beautiful!

02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Really really good.

Three Comments:

1. Are the lettering see-through on purpose? If so, why?
2. I think you would do better with less plastic looking town symbols. They are the maps only flaw. Maybe a sharper red in stead of pink?
3. Wow!

4. The north arrow/compass is Excellent. Tutorial?

02-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for comments guys. Usually I put alot of countries, towns etc. in my maps but for this one I want to try to keep it simple with very little clutter. I might even take out the country names. What's your opinion?

To Gork:

1. Yes. No idea. I think I wanted to soften the lettering or to age it by using opacity. I decided to go with a different look anyway a darker image so I fixed the lettering.

2. Agreed. I changed them again. These are about the fourth time I put new town symbols in this map. I wanted to keep them simple but I didn't want them to be just dots either.

3. Thanks.

4. I cheated. Go to http://www.brusheezy.com/ and download seragrams by serox. There are alot of great brushes there for us mappers.

02-17-2009, 10:44 AM
The town symbols look a tiny bit darker and sharper then the rest of the map...
Looks nice zoomed out to 50% thou!

02-19-2009, 04:05 PM
This update has made what was a wonderful map even better! It has this really old, stained parchment look.

My only comment is on the coastline. I am not sure how to describe it, but it looks like it does not blend with the water. It kind of looks like they are 2 separate pieces of paper layered. There are white and black specks all along the coast and on all the lakes (but not the rivers).

Thanks for the brushes link!

02-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Fixes to the coastline, color, rivers and castles. Also added some script for flavor, don't know about that though.

edit: I went with a lighter, greener look.I think this looks better.

02-21-2009, 10:31 AM
I like the first one best.

02-21-2009, 10:49 AM
First one also. Another thing is that you have one spot in the bottom right where you have a few mountain color sections that have hard line instead of blending in like most of the rest.

very nice map btw.

02-21-2009, 11:01 AM
The green is a bit much for me too - perhaps somewhere between the two?

Looking very nice though.

02-21-2009, 01:35 PM
At full size, I like the green one best...it combines with the rust colors very nicely. For a thumbnail, I like the bluer one.

02-21-2009, 03:58 PM
I like the greener one too. It's easier to read the text. But I think the first one you posted (in terms of sea colour) is still the best.

such a fantastic map.

02-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, at this point you're getting down to the nitty gritty. You've taken a fantastic map and made four fantastic versions of the same map. I like different things about each version.