View Full Version : Verigan Coast
02-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Playing around with styles, thought I would show you guys this one. Parchment map, I wanna throw some sea creatures and some more towns etc.
02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
02-16-2009, 07:32 PM
OMG, that is just beautiful!
02-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Really really good.
1. Are the lettering see-through on purpose? If so, why?
2. I think you would do better with less plastic looking town symbols. They are the maps only flaw. Maybe a sharper red in stead of pink?
4. The north arrow/compass is Excellent. Tutorial?
02-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks for comments guys. Usually I put alot of countries, towns etc. in my maps but for this one I want to try to keep it simple with very little clutter. I might even take out the country names. What's your opinion?
1. Yes. No idea. I think I wanted to soften the lettering or to age it by using opacity. I decided to go with a different look anyway a darker image so I fixed the lettering.
2. Agreed. I changed them again. These are about the fourth time I put new town symbols in this map. I wanted to keep them simple but I didn't want them to be just dots either.
4. I cheated. Go to http://www.brusheezy.com/ and download seragrams by serox. There are alot of great brushes there for us mappers.
The town symbols look a tiny bit darker and sharper then the rest of the map...
Looks nice zoomed out to 50% thou!
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
This update has made what was a wonderful map even better! It has this really old, stained parchment look.
My only comment is on the coastline. I am not sure how to describe it, but it looks like it does not blend with the water. It kind of looks like they are 2 separate pieces of paper layered. There are white and black specks all along the coast and on all the lakes (but not the rivers).
Thanks for the brushes link!
02-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Fixes to the coastline, color, rivers and castles. Also added some script for flavor, don't know about that though.
edit: I went with a lighter, greener look.I think this looks better.
02-21-2009, 11:31 AM
I like the first one best.
02-21-2009, 11:49 AM
First one also. Another thing is that you have one spot in the bottom right where you have a few mountain color sections that have hard line instead of blending in like most of the rest.
very nice map btw.
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
The green is a bit much for me too - perhaps somewhere between the two?
Looking very nice though.
02-21-2009, 02:35 PM
At full size, I like the green one best...it combines with the rust colors very nicely. For a thumbnail, I like the bluer one.
02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I like the greener one too. It's easier to read the text. But I think the first one you posted (in terms of sea colour) is still the best.
such a fantastic map.
02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah, at this point you're getting down to the nitty gritty. You've taken a fantastic map and made four fantastic versions of the same map. I like different things about each version.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.