PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Gaming and Maping

Sigurd
02-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm finding the demand for writing a campaign on the fly is pretty fierce. I was wondering how many other Cart Guilders were in the same boat.

NeonKnight
02-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Its fierce.

Good thing with over 20 years spent in the hobby I have LOTS of extra maps floating around just waiting for re-ruse.

Midgardsormr
02-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Yep, it can be a lot of work.

The majority of the maps I use are hand-drawn at the table. I'm getting ready to make the transition to the VTT, though, so that's generating some extra work--thank goodness for the generous offerings of D&D module maps--they'll make the prep work much easier.

It also helps that I only game twice a month, so I have plenty of down-time to prep.

Gamerprinter
02-17-2009, 11:08 PM
I need multi-vote to give a best answer. I do play and create my own maps and images for my groups campaigning, however, most of my maps are commissions or mapping for its own sake, here at the guild. I could vote on three different options in the above poll. I didn't pick the first option as my own game mapping is the least type of mapping that I do. (Of course I print all my game maps in large format for complete enjoyment at play!)

GP

Nomadic
02-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm with GP. There should be an option that says "I make maps for my own games but I also enjoy mapping for the sake of mapping".

Sigurd
02-18-2009, 12:28 AM
I actually assume that people enjoy mapping for the sake of mapping. My curiosity is really around this thing they call DMing.

I aint shakespeare but even just being me it can be tough to build a changing storyline complete with visual aids every week.

Sigurd

I'm wondering if there is a good way to shuffle whole adventures between dms in a non professional, not really published sort of way. More in the pipe is always a good thing.

Valarian
02-18-2009, 03:43 AM
If you've got a good set of players, there are several brains working on the storyline. The GM only has to come up with the start to get things moving. I'm afraid other GMs would be sadly disappointed with my adventures. The notes rarely go over an A4 sheet of lined paper. Sometimes, it's a scrawled doodle / mindmap sort of thing. It has a start scenario and some way of getting things moving ... after that, it's up to the players and where they take things. I tend to use the time between sessions to scrawl down some more notes about things that could happen in the next session. All very messy. I'm not sure I could make sense of it after a couple of months had past.

I don't tend to use too many maps in my games but, when I do, they tend to be mine.

isomage
02-18-2009, 04:24 AM
I haven't gamed in ages, but I enjoy writing software to make random maps for roleplaying games (particularly old-school TSR style). I guess if I were to run any games now I'd use the stuff I've written, but I have enough fun just writing the programs and seeing the results.

One of these days I'll write a dungeon generator and a city/town generator, and then I'll probably have enough software to make random classic D&D modules....

Steel General
02-18-2009, 06:22 AM
I quit gaming a while ago, though I still work on my campaign setting once in a blue moon. So, I just map for the enjoyment of it.

But if the opportunity ever came around to make some extra $$$ that would be good too.

torstan
02-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I ticked the first, because all of my maps for personal projects are for games. However a glut of commissions has pushed personal projects back a bit so most of my current mapping is commercial.

Sending around the semi-published adventures sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately I rarely get my notes in a format others could really pick up and use.

Vandy
02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi, All.

I guess I'm a bit of an odd duck. I have never done any role playing or role playing games. Probably the closest I've ever come to doing so was playing Zork on my Commodore 64. (Does that count?)

I suppose it is never to late to learn to play an RPG?

Whenever I make maps, graphics (now, temples, cities, etc.) I am pretty much making them for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment I get at looking at and sharing them.

Does that make me an odd duck?

Regards,

Gary

Soixante
02-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I make maps for a campaign world I'm developing, but I don't currently play anything (though I'd like to).

jaerdaph
02-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I make most of the maps I use in my games, whether an original idea or based on another map.

I also love mapping for its own sake, so many times I'll create a map for something I may never use in a game. I find it very relaxing.

ambessalion
02-26-2009, 12:29 AM
i'm doing my maps for a fan fiction series i'm working on

Greason Wolfe
03-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Back in the days when I did run games, I made all my maps by hand. I fiddled around in the early 80s though, with the Apple II graphics as a means of drawing cleaner dungeon maps, but it never really worked out the way I had hoped and, of course, I was off to do my civic duty shortly after that. As far as notes went, I was very detailed about such things and often had a back story behind each dungeon, city and/or encounter map.

The only problem I could see with sharing maps/adventures would be the gaming system in use. I used to play ADnD (1st and 2nd editions) then converted over to Hero Systems. Converting characters, monsters, skills and abilities turned out to be a considerable amount of work, particularly the combat system since Hero Systems used armor as defense against damage rather than defense against being hit. If the notes were generalized, i.e. not listing specific stats, but rather listing them by ranks (very weak, weak, average, strong, very strong etc) then making the conversions between gaming systems might be easier.

GW

ravells
03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
It's not fair, now I actually have enough money to buy the games I want and I have enough skill to make the maps I want, I no longer have the time or I think the ability to suspend disbelief that I used to.

I would love to have a game of D&D sometime around the kitchen table...hell I even have a kitchen table now!

Redrobes
03-04-2009, 08:01 PM
If your anything like me then I have money and a kitchen table (actually a wide kitchen shelf but whos measuring) because I have no time. Every occasion I get plenty of time I run out of money. They say time is money. I almost agree. I think you can convert money into time easily (you can convert money into quite a lot of things easily actually) but time into money is a harder but we all seem to be press ganged into it anyway. The bit I don't like is that in order to get just enough money you have to convert all of your time and yet it takes an extraordinary amount of money to buy a small amount of time.

Oh yeah, and I still think we should have a guild VTT orc bash at some point - probably using MapTool I guess since thats the most popular here. Could do these at sporadic but one off events just to taste the magic of being a player again...

Monthly challenge - make a map for next sesh and winner has to GM it heh heh :)