View Full Version : Is there a term for this?

02-18-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm wondering about something and I do not know what it is but I am hoping someone here can help me out.

Is there a term for a world map (or any map) that is spread out flat like THIS (http://i44.tinypic.com/fbjqjr.jpg) or THIS (http://i40.tinypic.com/vpc02x.jpg)?

Thanks in advance.

02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
The first version is a SINUSOIDAL projection, while the second is a MERCATOR projection.

You can find the descriptions of these and other projections here:

http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/usgspubs/pp/pp1395 (downloadable PDF file)

Of course, if you hate dry documents, a quick writeup on the various common types of projections can be found here:


02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Thank you sir. :)

I'm manually keywording 10,000+ pics and I have over 500 map pics. This will help me out.
(I'll be reading the pdf after I get back from lunch.)

egad! 394 pages... I'll be skimming through it when I have time. hehe