PDA

View Full Version : [taken]-[unpaid]Adding details to a map

minifidel
02-20-2009, 03:00 AM
Hi there! I'm something of a writer, and lately I've felt that I really need the geographic references a lot more, and although I have the basic outlines made, there's no detail, no geography, nothing, and while it's a good base, I'd like something more. So in essence I'd like to request that somebody take a look at the maps I've already prepared and add in details, such as rivers, mountains, etc. (the cities and the like I'll do personally). Any help would be much appreciated!

Commission: Unpaid
Time Constraints: None really, there's no rush.
Style: I don't know if I want any particular kind of style, however I really like this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/feature/ClerconMap.jpg) map (got it from here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=47476#post47476)), so if you can make it look something like that but without the borders that would be great.
Description of Map: Map attached
Quality & Size: I have no preference in quality as long as it's legible enough for reference purposes (this is for personal use).
Copyright: I will have copyright for the map, but I will credit the artist, and if ever the map were to be included in a published work (*cross fingers*) I will inform the artist and I would agree to pay for it at that time.

Mimi
02-21-2009, 02:27 AM
I'd love to help, but with so little information about what you want, where you want it, how much freedom we are allowed and what your end goal is it is difficult to know where to start.

If you have a rough idea where important geographical features like famous mountain ranges, magical volcanos or religiously significant rivers need to be then it would be lovely if you could add them to your map.

It would also ne nice to know how accurate you want it to be in terms of geography, is it of negligable importance so long as it looks nice, or do you want riverpolice-proof soundness in that regard?

Information, information, information.

töff
02-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Great to see another writer in here. Welcome!

töff
02-21-2009, 11:44 AM
To help an artist fill in your map, you might consider this method of infosharing:

Print that blank map. Draw on it with a pencil (cities, mountains, national borders, forests, trade routes, historic sites, rivers, whatever.) Scan it. Share it.

This is a really fast and easy way to hand data to the artist. Your pencil drawings do not have to be beautiful; they just have to convey information.

minifidel
07-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I've gone back and worked on the map extensively, added topography, rivers and some main cities. Basically, what I'd like is for someone to make a more stylized version of the map. You'd be free to make whatever changes to the map you'd deem necessary, so long as the marked cities are more or less as they are.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to attach the updated map.

Ascension
07-23-2009, 04:49 PM
This would be right up my alley if I had the time...too many irons in the fire right now. I'm sure that there are many here who could whip you up something nice in fairly short order. You might want to contact them directly...the ones who have made stuff that you like.

RobA
07-23-2009, 07:04 PM
You need 5 posts to PM, so knock out a few more to contact people directly.

If you don't get any takers in a few days, I'm up for it.

-Rob A>

RobA
07-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Here is what I have -

Fractalized the coast a bit more, and put in the rivers.

There was a small river by Ponesia that connected two other river systems, (unless it is a man made channel/canal), so I removed it.

-Rob A>

RobA
08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Tiny update-

Started building up the terrain masks, and testing a forest fill pattern, similar to the referenced map.

-Rob A>

minifidel
08-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm really loving how it's coming along, looking very good!

And let me just say, thanks for doing this, it's very much appreciated and I'm confident it'll be a pretty big help with the story writing :D

RobA
08-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Tweaked the forest test a bit, but added in mountains using Wag's brushes (narrowed and converted to RGB, i.e. filled in so they could be over/under painted).
Too many mountains?

-Rob A>

Gandwarf
08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Oooh, nice... it looks almost as a CC3 map (which is a good thing I think).

RobA
08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Alright -

Here we are.

I took some liberty with the forests and desert areas.

The referenced map had geopolitical colouring, not sure if you have those or not.

I've labeled the marked cities, not happy about the font but it was a test of a new one (might be better for water features...) I can change it if desired.

Any suggestions/changes/comments?

Want a compass rose? a border? a scale?

I ended up redoing the mountains because I had painted them on the city layer (bad RobA - not paying attention again...)

-Rob A>

Steel General
08-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Not a big fan of the tree fill, but everything else is quite good.

RobA
08-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Not a big fan of the tree fill...

Me neither. It was intended to be a placeholder, but kind of just ended up "there".

-Rob A>

NeonKnight
08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Interesting. I could almost duplicate the entire thing in CC3......interesting

RobA
08-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Well, I believe the referenced map is CC3, so resemblances are good ;)

Here are three more tree options, b,c and d. Any of these suit the style better?
The textures are b) seamless tile made from Istarlome's tree brushes, c) a tree texture from this site, with the cartoonify filter run on it, and d) the stock coffee bean seamless texture that comes with gimp, colourified, and with the cartoonify filter run on it.

-Rob A>

Steel General
08-06-2009, 02:22 PM
My choice would be #2, though #3 isn't bad either.

Gandwarf
08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Definitely D, I love that one!!
C is pretty good as well, but the smaller forests don't look that nice.

Need D as a fill for CC3 :D

Ascension
08-06-2009, 05:50 PM
My vote is for C because I have to learn how to get that look in PS.

minifidel
08-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Wow, looks really great! My vote would be for c), looks better I think.

The forests are on a bit thick though in certain parts that are rather heavily inhabited, the two western continents for example are more sparsely wooded, the region around Yojei is also generally grass and farm land (one of the most populous regions in the world), and the land around Kohakta is also relatively dense in terms of population.

Otherwise though, the map is pretty much perfect, and I can't thank you enough for doing this for me! I don't have much written down, but I've recently finished the first chapter for the story that takes place in that world, so if you're interested in reading it let me know, it's the least I could do.

RobA
08-07-2009, 03:15 PM
minifidel -

I found some time to make up a compass and throw a border around the map, as well as (hopefully) clean up the forests as desired.

We can call this finished, unless you have a few more names to throw on the thing (oceans, more cities, continents, islands, etc.)

-Rob A>

minifidel
08-09-2009, 10:39 PM
minifidel -

I found some time to make up a compass and throw a border around the map, as well as (hopefully) clean up the forests as desired.

We can call this finished, unless you have a few more names to throw on the thing (oceans, more cities, continents, islands, etc.)

-Rob A>

Alright, it looks pretty much done. Don't have much in the way of labels really, place-names are a bitch for me because I like to come up with coherent systems for naming things (for example, the western continents have a reason to their names). Only thing really is that you've mislabeled Yojei as Yojie.

Thanks again ;)

RobA
08-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Alright, it looks pretty much done. Don't have much in the way of labels really, place-names are a bitch for me because I like to come up with coherent systems for naming things (for example, the western continents have a reason to their names). Only thing really is that you've mislabeled Yojei as Yojie.

Thanks again ;)

oops. I'll try and fix that typo in the next day or two.

-Rob A>

RobA
08-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Fixed name.

-Rob A>