PDA

View Full Version : Port City

ravells
02-22-2009, 05:36 AM
This is a port city I have completed for the CWBP. Port Kahardi fell into ruin and was taken over by various dark creatures. So here is the 'before' and 'after'.

Original WIP thread here. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=50825#post50825)

Gandwarf
02-22-2009, 07:10 AM
This turned into a pretty, good-looking city. I really like the style.
Some questions though:

- No walls?
- No buildings on the higher ground?
- What are the different colors and shields representing? Districts?

ravells
02-22-2009, 07:15 AM
No walls!

No buildings on higher ground!

The different shields are city districts (wards) may of the names are lovingly ripped off from the names of the wards of the City of London. <g>

Bohunk
02-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Fantastic map Ravs!

Steel General
02-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Bee-yoo-tee-ful!

Sigurd
02-22-2009, 09:44 AM
It looks very very pretty but I think the buildings look convenient to the mapper not the citizens.

Sigurd

RobA
02-22-2009, 12:39 PM
It looks very very pretty but I think the buildings look convenient to the mapper not the citizens.

Sigurd

Brilliant! That is the best comment I've ever heard about a fantasy map ;)

-Rob A>

NeonKnight
02-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I love the map, not so sure about them Cornhole.......sorry, CornHILL districts though :P

torstan
02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
It's a lovely map indeed. Well done Ravells.

ravells
02-22-2009, 03:24 PM

Sigurd

I am GOD! And you will live in strangely shaped buildings! Muahaha!!

Steel General
02-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I still think you should go back and do a "creepy" version like you originally intended.

ravells
02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Working on it! Had a couple of ideas tonight which I tried out...but a long way to go...

Sigurd
02-22-2009, 07:34 PM
I am GOD! And you will live in strangely shaped buildings! Muahaha!!

Grin....

Thanks RobA. For my next trick I'll step on my own tongue and trip into a huge vat of stupid!

Sigurd

woekan
02-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Nice map :)

i like actually like the fact that there are no walls. If you have good townguards, and you do not live in a politically important part of the world, you dont need them!

ravells
02-23-2009, 05:36 PM
To get that spooky look I'm thinking of using a chirascuro style...works well on photos (example posted of our dried fruit bowl) but not so easy with maps.

Steel General
02-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Ahhh yes creepy fruit...the very building block of nightmares :D
(sorry couldn't resist being a little silly)

I actually think that ought to work really well.

Ascension
02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah very cool, hope it works.

ravells
02-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Here it is, complete with creepy fruit!!

Is it better than the plain jane version?

Fabrice
02-24-2009, 10:41 PM
This is great!

I shivered when reading the mention of the "man-eating grapefruit"-controlled area...

I hate them in their normal condition, so they sure scare the hell out of me in their vegetal undeath. The worst monsters ever, after maybe the blood-sucking brocolis!

Do you think you could explain how you achieved this effect (in GIMP if possible)? I remember Neon did a Feywild version of one of his maps, and I have been wondering how to efficiently make a Shadowfell version of a map ever since...

ravells
02-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks Fabrice!

I used the 'India Ink' filter (arabesque) to get the sea texture. It's basically a squiggly noise filter, I can make a plain one (I don't think it tiles though) and post it for you to use.

I also used vignetting to get the dark glow around the edges (you could just put a black layer underneath, use a layer mask of a blurred white circle to get the same effect).

The black tendrils coming out of the border I did by using a 'smoke' filter from Alienskin Eyecandy filters. Not sure how you might replicate that in Gimp though...if you have a filter which distorts with a twirly effect you could use that on black shapes and then feather the result. Finally use a 'clouds' layer mask to give you varying opacity.

I also increased the saturation and contrast and reduced the brightness to get the sickly oversaturated colours.

Fabrice
02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks a lot for your explanations.

I am afraid, however, that I am way too green in the use of raster programs to make good use of it today, but I will copy / paste your post on the side and review it after I understand better how these software work.

This looks anyway a terrific process to transform a locale map into a Shadowfell version, so I will try to keep my character in the mortal world until I can reproduce it (hopefully before I turn into old age or undeath myself)!

Thanks again for your time.