PDA

View Full Version : Glethhaven

valadaar
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
This is my first attempt at a hybrid hand-drawn/computer processed map.

This right now is nothing more then a scan of my hand-drawn map with only the main rivers and primary mountain range drawn.

Haven't decided if I want to leave it black and white, but I'm too scared right now to put anything more in pen on this one, so thats why I'm continuing on in digital. Forests, etc, I have no figured out, but I'm happy with my hand-drawn mountains at this point.

If anyone is wondering, I used a .5mm Bic pen for this :P

The map is the main region where I am setting a play by post game...

valadaar
02-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Here's a style I'm playing with. Probably won't go with it, but its kind of neat.
Used the cutout style filter in Photoshop elements, along with some simplification with select by color and then flood-fill.

You will need to zoom in somewhat to see the effect.

Hoel
02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm sceptic. The first map was much better. You should try hand drawing your icons, then clean them up and use them as a brush. That way you kan keep the awsome hand drawn style you have while not risking to mess up the original

jfrazierjr
02-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I agree... your first is far better to me because of the shading variations. The second could work on certain types of maps, but mostly I would much prefer the first in most maps.

Steel General
02-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Have to agree with the others, your first version is the preferred one for me.

valadaar
02-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Now I am trying to decide on a style for forest - there will be a lot of forest on this map. I'll post up some working ideas to see what you all think, and if you have any suggestions...

valadaar
03-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Trying a couple things here - the trees and hills are on separate layers, so can be removed/edited easily.

Thoughts? Keep going this way?

Ascension
03-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Yes. :) Looks great.

Steel General
03-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Yup keep going it looks nice, though maybe vary the shape of your forests a bit.

Jykke
03-17-2009, 01:50 PM
The mountains and rivers look really cool. The challenge will be drawing the forests just the right way. Done correctly, your map will just rock :)

Kingbreaker
03-17-2009, 01:57 PM
This is my first attempt at a hybrid hand-drawn/computer processed map.

This right now is nothing more then a scan of my hand-drawn map with only the main rivers and primary mountain range drawn.

Haven't decided if I want to leave it black and white, but I'm too scared right now to put anything more in pen on this one, so thats why I'm continuing on in digital. Forests, etc, I have no figured out, but I'm happy with my hand-drawn mountains at this point.

If anyone is wondering, I used a .5mm Bic pen for this :P

The map is the main region where I am setting a play by post game...

Wow. Very cool!

I love antique and hand-drawn maps.

[following comment meant in the most positive way possible] Did anyone else get slightly dizzy looking at this map? Something about the off-axis tilt to the mountains makes them very interesting and stylizes the map in a grreat way. It reminded me of the sick feeling I get in an Omnimax theatre- something ain't right with the horizon. In the best possible way:)

Jykke
03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Wow. Very cool!

I love antique and hand-drawn maps.

[following comment meant in the most positive way possible] Did anyone else get slightly dizzy looking at this map? Something about the off-axis tilt to the mountains makes them very interesting and stylizes the map in a grreat way. It reminded me of the sick feeling I get in an Omnimax theatre- something ain't right with the horizon. In the best possible way:)

Yeah, and somehow it feels like the rivers on the left flow to upstream in some places :)

valadaar
03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Hmm, I'll have to look at that. The area to the left is supposed to flatten to broad plains, and since the rivers were hand drawn and scanned, moving them will be a bit rough since I really can't reproduce hand drawn with pen with my stylis.

Can try though, wonderful thing layers are!

And thanks for the comments!

Jykke
03-18-2009, 04:30 AM
Don't take too much pressure from our comments.. if they don't bother you, then just move along an work ahead with the map you already have :) (and if the rivers do bother you also, then you can try to mask some of the "problem" areas with forests so the river gets hidden beneath them.