PDA

View Full Version : First Regional Map

mox404
02-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi, new to the guild and map making. I am using Jezelf's excellent tutorial on building a regional map and just wanted to get some feedback.

Here is the updated map with some rivers, hills, and mountains.

Steel General
02-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Looking good so far, looking forward to seeing progress on this.

MadLetter
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Looks like a very good base. I'm looking forward for more! :)

Hoel
02-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Looks good. Nice varied coastline and the muted colors will work with a hand drawn style. I'll check in on this...

Sigurd
02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
This is a very pleasant style. The map allows you to imagine things without any one part of it being jarring or over emphasized.

Sigurd

Good job!

joćo paulo
02-23-2009, 06:21 PM
I hope you enhance it with many rivers and mountains.
I will be watching your progress.

landorl
02-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Just curious, but which color is the land, and which is water? My first assumption was that the dark color was the land, and the light was the water, but after continuing to look at it, I see that the opposite could also work.

Hoel
02-23-2009, 08:30 PM
We'll just have to wait and see won't we :)
My money is on dark land light water...

jezelf
02-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Nice land shapes! - that's coming along very well I would say.

One thing though - is the image meant to have a drop shadow 'frame'? Looks like you've stroked the land and blured it but forgot to delete where PS selected the edge of the image. So you've got a drop shadow effect on just the land. Deleting those stoked areas before you blur it will clear that up.

I also like the faded, lighter areas of the land / image. Looking forward to seeing it develop!

Good work.
jez

Eilathen
02-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Just curious, but which color is the land, and which is water? My first assumption was that the dark color was the land, and the light was the water, but after continuing to look at it, I see that the opposite could also work.

Exactly my own thoughts :D

If i'd have to bet, I'd still go with dark = land, light = water

Interested to see where you go with this, so i hope you keep us posted...

mox404
02-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi, thanks for all the feedback and kind words. I would like to clear up the question of land and water. The land is the dark color and the water is the light color. Also I have been working on rivers and hills and hope to post for critique soon.

mox404
02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Here is the latest ideas for my map. Let me know what you think.

MadLetter
02-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Okay, a little constructive criticism from me :)

Point 1: I think the trees are a little too bright for the chosen style of the map (dark brownish). Try desaturating them a little maybe, might fit better into the map.

Point 2: I like the mountains you use. How do you do them? :D

Point 3: River-Police needs to be called. Upper right part of the map, the river seems to split in two directions, which is not naturally possible. If there is no "a wizard did it" behind this, it's illogical :)

Point 4: Looking good overall, I'll be waiting for more of your work! :)

jfrazierjr
02-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Upper right part of the map, the river seems to split in two directions, which is not naturally possible. If there is no "a wizard did it" behind this, it's illogical :)

Replace "not naturally possible" with is unlikely to exist for any long amount of time in geological terms. Rivers CAN split, but this configuration is not stable(where stable might be a few years or a few eons, but eventually one path wins and the other dies out.)

MadLetter
02-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Ah okay.

Added question: Where did you get the icons for towns/cities? I'd like them very much for my own usage ;)

Hoel
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Nice looking mountains there!
I agree with previous post about desaturating the forest.

jfrazierjr
02-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Ah okay.

Added question: Where did you get the icons for towns/cities? I'd like them very much for my own usage ;)

They are more than likely coming from one of the Wingding fonts.... Assuming your on Windows, open the "charmap" application via the Start->Run window and select the Windings font(s).

Karro
02-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Replace "not naturally possible" with is unlikely to exist for any long amount of time in geological terms. Rivers CAN split, but this configuration is not stable(where stable might be a few years or a few eons, but eventually one path wins and the other dies out.)

Except in this case, I'd think it was particularly unstable. We've got a river that looks to flow naturally enough to the sea, but it shoots a branch off.

The branch then branches again (or appears to hit another river doing... something). One branch goes to the sea here, another to a lake. Finally, a river drains from the lake into the sea. So... the river goes to the sea not at two, but at three different points.

IngIngsvar
02-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Very nice, it almost looks hand-drawn.

landorl
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
One thing that might make the mountains look better (they already look great though!) is a slight blur. It seems like the rest of the map has some blur to it, but the mountains have some very sharp lines.

mox404
03-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the comments, and after having the river police called on me I went back and realized my rivers were not realistic. I went back and placed in my mountains and have started to add rivers back in. Please keep your comments coming.