PDA

View Full Version : Newbie...

guyanonymous
02-22-2009, 10:46 PM
As early as grade 2 or 3 I have drawn maps. I do so more when I learned about D&D in the mid 80's. And by the early 90's I'd stopped.

Last year I got interested in creating my own universe/world/etc...and found myself creating maps again...

I just found this website a few days ago. It looks like a great place for tips and hints and support...

I look forward to learning more!

David

p.s., here are the two maps I decided to keep over the last year

Korash
02-22-2009, 10:49 PM
first post and a couple of great looking maps!

This deserves some rep!!! As Sg says .... :bonk:

and welcome to the best place in the web to learn about mapping.

:edit: did you use water colors?

guyanonymous
02-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks!

I did both using a terraforming plugin created by someone for Filter Forge, and then worked them in Photoshop and illustrator. I believe some water-colour treatments were used...but it's been a while. I'm just now (after about 6 months away from it) getting back to it.

My main goal was getting an "old" looking map. I've not been happy, yet, with any writings on the map that I've tried making though.

Dave

NeonKnight
02-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the Guild.

Have some REP (P.S. y REP stick is 'bigger' now :))

Ascension
02-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Very unique style...all that's really missing is some labeling (places, oceans, etc.). I would like to see your take on that stuff.

guyanonymous
02-23-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm struggling with the labeling. I've not been able to get a realistic style that I like yet. Any suggestions?

Fabrice
02-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Have you tried the dafont.com website? Lots of nice fonts in freeware / shareware there.

Or you may actually write by hand and scan, if the fonts look too "perfect" to your taste.

Steel General
02-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Welcome Aboard...and since you uploaded maps in your first post I dub thee newly repped *bonk*

guyanonymous
02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
It's not font choice, it's getting text that looks right stylistically (i.e., actually written on the paper using an ink pen). I keep trying new things...I'll find one that works. :D

Have you tried the dafont.com website? Lots of nice fonts in freeware / shareware there.

Or you may actually write by hand and scan, if the fonts look too "perfect" to your taste.

Fabrice
02-23-2009, 11:07 PM
I do not know if this helps, but you can have a look there:

www.encre-et-lumiere.com

It is a calligraphy equivalent to the Guild that I have been visiting for a few years. You may find a suitable style there, either historical or reconstructed.

guyanonymous
02-24-2009, 12:01 AM
thanks! I'll have a look.

Redrobes
02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
I do not know if this helps, but you can have a look there:

www.encre-et-lumiere.com

It is a calligraphy equivalent to the Guild that I have been visiting for a few years. You may find a suitable style there, either historical or reconstructed.

Oh thats a nice site even if it does stretch my french. I will post this on the fonts thread if thats ok.

ambessalion
02-26-2009, 04:56 PM
love the maps dude, you're very talented

guyanonymous
02-26-2009, 08:45 PM
It's amazing how well one can pretend using various photoshop plugins!

But thank you! :D

I tend to make my designs sufficiently detailed to work at 20x30 or so...overkill, but makes me feel manly. I thought I'd post some detail of one of them in case people were interested...

Steel General
02-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Photoshop plug-ins or not - you still need to know how to use them correctly. :)

fabio0069
02-27-2009, 05:33 AM
They're some nice maps, guyanonymous! Welcome to the Guild