PDA

View Full Version : As commanded, thus do I post- tiny island map

Blake
02-23-2009, 05:22 AM
This is a really old map sketch I drew- it's actually not for anything in particular, just a map for its own sake.

In the unlikely case that anybody wants this for some reason, I'll go ahead and release this Creative commons since I don't use it for anything- just give credit and don't use it for anything commercial.

Mostly done digitally, I can't say exactly what I did, as it was a long time ago- I think it was once a scanned sketch.

Questions? Comments?

Fabrice
02-23-2009, 05:35 AM
I like the "cartoonish style". Do you remember which software you used for this map?

Hoel
02-23-2009, 07:17 AM
That is most lovely!
You seem to have a talent there. That must be one of the most unique styles I've seen here yet.
Post more if you got it!

Steel General
02-23-2009, 07:53 AM
You certainly have artistic skill, its a great map.

Blake
02-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I just sketched it with a pencil on paper, scanned it, and used multiply layer mode in Photoshop to colour "under" the sketch layer... then scribbled some strange writing on it.

The parchment was easy- that's just a rectangle that I coloured tan and splotched a bit with brown, then erased the edges a bit for a worn look and used an inner shadow and outline layer effect, and a drop shadow, I believe.

I touched it up a bit more later.

If you like the style, you should be able to use a clone stamp in Photoshop or Gimp to copy the features and textures I made- just give me credit somewhere, and nothing commercial.

My ego is getting too big with all of these compliments... I need somebody to punch some holes in me ;)

Please tell me what's wrong with it if you can.

I'll post something more interesting soon.

Hoel
02-23-2009, 08:27 AM
The only thing i can see that's wrong is the low resolution. You should work some magic on a bigger map.
If you develop that style you should probably go professional
Reminds me a bit of Monkey Island :)

woekan
02-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Beautifull. A nice fresh style. I like it!

Vandy
02-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Hello, Blake.

I wanted to comment that your map is very well done. I am quite impressed with its simplistic yet, detailed style.

This is one great map!

Regards,

Gary

torstan
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM
No crits from me, that's a very pretty map. You'll like it here.

Karro
02-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Agree with the resolution "crit". It is a beautiful artistic style. Beautiful enough, that the only thing wrong with it is that there's not more of it.

Steel General
02-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Since you asked for some ego deflation... :D

Aside from the low/small resolution - the only thing I can critisize at all (and this is really, really minor) is the the burned/worn edges of the map are a little overdone for my taste.

Karro
02-23-2009, 11:05 AM

Aside from the low/small resolution - the only thing I can critisize at all (and this is really, really minor) is the the burned/worn edges of the map are a little overdone for my taste.

I'll play counter-point. I like them, at least in this context ;)

Blake
02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks. Here's another very old map, from probably around the same time, made in basically the same way.

This one was drawn for a campaign setting... on lined paper, I think... pretty much on the spot.

I later coloured it a bit. Not as finished as the top one. I doubt that this was more than an hour and a half of idle work either way.

I have a couple better maps, but I did them as contracts and shouldn't post them here as I don't hold all of the rights.

I can, however, link you to my deviant art where I have one of them viewable at a low resolution:

[old link removed]
I believe this was a forty dollar contract, but it's not finished in this image (it's actually HUGE)

I'll post a current WIP map that I do retain all of the rights to pretty soon- maybe I can get some good feedback on my progress :)

Blake
02-23-2009, 11:59 AM

Oh, thank you! Yes, I see that they are pretty hard. I do have problems with borders... since I often make these for a white background, and a sharp edge just isn't right. I could put more time into them, but the borders are usually an afterthought for me- if they're taking away from the map, that just should be though.

What I aught to do it print them on brown paper and then screw up the edges in real life. That would be particularly fast. But of course I'd have to do it to each one if I got a few... granted, it is impressive to be handed something that looks more authentic.

Maybe I should experiment with a celtic knot pattern, or some other more frame-like border style. That would give me the edge treatment without making it look over-the-top-fake; kind of an intermediary between the obviously printed and the drawn look.

töff
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
That wall across the vale reminds me of Helm's Deep.

Blake
02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
That wall across the vale reminds me of Helm's Deep.

Toff! Hey, it's a small internets.

Yeah, it was fun having the players get into the vale.

There was an army sieging it (the vale). I believe they ended up going into the very cold water (which is straight from a glacial source, and barely above freezing) and fighting off hypothermia as they attempted to swim under the gate (a large metal grate that dips down into the water a short distance).

Then they had to explain that they were the good guys when they got on the other side...

That was back when I was just learning D&D and how to DM- I still had my training wheels when I was using this map. Ah, the memories.

Hoel
02-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Looks nice, awsome mountain style. I think you could make some great symbol sets for the community.

Blake
02-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Looks nice, awsome mountain style. I think you could make some great symbol sets for the community.

Hmm... mayhaps, mayhaps.

For now I'll just start by posting a simple tutorial and see how that's received.

I'd kind of rather teach a cartographer to draw mountains than to hand them out though, on principle- something about fish and lifetime... (of course my process for drawing mountains is pretty complex, so writing a tutorial for that is a daunting task in itself).

Steel General
02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh, thank you! Yes, I see that they are pretty hard. I do have problems with borders... since I often make these for a white background, and a sharp edge just isn't right. I could put more time into them, but the borders are usually an afterthought for me- if they're taking away from the map, that just should be though.

What I aught to do it print them on brown paper and then screw up the edges in real life. That would be particularly fast. But of course I'd have to do it to each one if I got a few... granted, it is impressive to be handed something that looks more authentic.

Maybe I should experiment with a celtic knot pattern, or some other more frame-like border style. That would give me the edge treatment without making it look over-the-top-fake; kind of an intermediary between the obviously printed and the drawn look.

There are numerous tutorials on the web for producing worn/burnt edges - not that there is anything wrong with the way you do them. But it may give you some other ideas. :)

Blake
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
There are numerous tutorials on the web for producing worn/burnt edges - not that there is anything wrong with the way you do them. But it may give you some other ideas. :)

Ah, yes. Though that's not really the problem- more tweaking, and some personal attention, and I could make them look good (I have done worn and burnt edges more recently that look significantly better than these, and way back when I did some by hand that looked very nice), the issue is that I don't want to spend too much time on the border.

I think you have a point- or at least the point I took from what you said that you may or may not have meant- if I don't want to spend the time doing something right, I shouldn't, I should do something else.

Some celtic knot edge would be quite fast to make, and it wouldn't look as shoddy rushing through it either (as the burnt ones do).

jfrazierjr
02-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Hmm... mayhaps, mayhaps.

For now I'll just start by posting a simple tutorial and see how that's received.

I'd kind of rather teach a cartographer to draw mountains than to hand them out though, on principle- something about fish and lifetime... (of course my process for drawing mountains is pretty complex, so writing a tutorial for that is a daunting task in itself).

Take a quick look at the one I did for ISO mountains and see if the process you use is much different (though, of course I used a solid black while you use more of lighter hand color wise.)

Blake
02-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Take a quick look at the one I did for ISO mountains and see if the process you use is much different (though, of course I used a solid black while you use more of lighter hand color wise.)

Doesn't look like how I do it. I barely use the smudge tool (I will slightly to blend some things, but I find it too slow- or my computer does).

jfrazierjr
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Doesn't look like how I do it. I barely use the smudge tool (I will slightly to blend some things, but I find it too slow- or my computer does).

Then I would like to know what you do even if it is PS since my way takes 4 EVAH!!!! (of course, I like the outcome... but even with a tablet, my hand starts cramping up after an hour or more.....)

Redrobes
02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
I'll just chip in and say your maps are great - sorry couldn't help it.

Also, if you do some celtic knot borders can you point me in that direction or let me know how you go about doing one. I could do a little bit of straight and repeat it but I am also interested in knowing how to do a knot that goes around corners. Ideally I would not want to draw it on square paper and retouch a scan which I see in other site posts. There must be a better way to get that in. There's a font you can buy which is supposed to be really good but id like to be able to make up my own pattern if at all possible.

Anyhoo - good to see your work, ill lurk again...

Blake
02-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Thanks Redrobes. If I draw some knots anytime soon, I'll try to remember to make a tutorial or something (Although I don't know if anybody has noticed my current one).

Then I would like to know what you do even if it is PS since my way takes 4 EVAH!!!! (of course, I like the outcome... but even with a tablet, my hand starts cramping up after an hour or more.....)

My method takes a while as well. Really good mountains tend to take some time.