PDA

View Full Version : Handdrawn anyone??

Cornell
02-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Does anyone here draw maps by hand?? I was hoping to look at hand drawn maps that I could study.

Steel General
02-24-2009, 06:58 AM
There are several folks here who do a lot of hand-drawn work. Try doing a search on "hand drawn" you should get a decent response back.

töff
02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
My pencil has no Control-Z.

(And no, my eraser doesn't work that way. I wish it did!)

torstan
02-24-2009, 09:55 AM
I hand draw my maps, in the sense that I use a tablet and Gimp. I do a little concept work with a pencil and paper, but mostly it is done in the computer.

The person here who does the most actual hand drawn work is Delgondahntelius. He's written a tutorial on it here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3013

Midgardsormr
02-24-2009, 11:46 AM
There was a thread a while back where several of us who now use computer-aided techniques posted old hand drawn maps.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=815

Gamerprinter
02-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd say half to one third of my maps are hand-drawn to start with - usually are digitally enhanced for color, bump or bevel and shadows, after I scan them in. Of course I do strictly digital maps as well. It really depends on what kind of map I need and turn-around. Hand-drawn work takes more time.

Some of my very illustrative digital only designs take me little over an hour to create. But if I want a personal style or a more archaic look - I hand-draw.

GP

waldronate
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I'd say half to one third of my maps are hand-drawn to start with - usually are digitally enhanced for color, bump or bevel and shadows, after I scan them in. Of course I do strictly digital maps as well. It really depends on what kind of map I need and turn-around. Hand-drawn work takes more time.

Some of my very illustrative digital only designs take me little over an hour to create. But if I want a personal style or a more archaic look - I hand-draw.

GP

You have what some folks like to refer to as "talent" - something that many of us lack...

jfrazierjr
02-24-2009, 04:02 PM
You have what some folks like to refer to as "talent" - something that many of us lack...

Ditto.. combine that with a liberal dose of the "super speed" power and you get one super duper mapper!

ambessalion
02-26-2009, 01:57 PM
yea...i hand drew all my maps...i only have a 2 of my planets for my project as CGI, all the others i've done by hand...but only one of them is scanned:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh60/ambessalion/Frontier%20website/ZUOHIRAZplanetMAP.jpg

CBDroege
02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
I have hundreds of hand-drawn maps from the campaigns I ran prior to good graphics editing software appearing on the computer.

Someday, I should get all of those maps out and scan them into a database.

I also occasionally paint my campaign maps. I should find a way to get those into the computers well.

Cornell
02-28-2009, 02:44 AM
I know, I have tons of hand drawn maps, city's, massive cities with around a thousand houses. A lot of people say they don't have the patients to draw them but I love it.

And I checked out the tutorial you mentioned torstan, it didn't really tell me how to draw anything particular. It was awesome though to learn a little more about the right pens and pencils.

I'm gonna post a map that I started last night here in a bit.

dementia5
03-01-2009, 01:18 PM
I have a very naive question to ask... most of my maps I've either drawn by hand, or use computer tools from Photoshop to GIMP... can someone recommend a drawing tablet tool for a PC? I'm sure I'm on the right track here, since my fellow CAD designers use something like this. But is there something a bit more affordable for home use? Still qualifies as handr-drawn, right? :)

torstan
03-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Certainly, an A6 or A5 Wacom Bamboo won't set you back too much. $63 is Amazon's current asking price.

dementia5
03-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks, torstan.

PlanetDesigner
03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I used to hand draw all of my maps (way back before I discovered computers) - I'm 42, so I can remember one the very first true mass production computers (The "Coleco Adam" - complete with a primitive compuserve subscription that you paid through snail mail and an old cassette tape recorder hard drive! LOL). I even cut my teeth on the old Radio Shack TRS-80 desktop that used wobbly floppys the size of a toast dish, and that had no real operating system to speak of.

I hand draw things that I scan in to incorporate into my graphics. I do a lot of hand drawn art work, but not so many hand drawn maps anymore.
I am - however - extremely skilled at hand drawing maps in the old "Tolkeinish" style, as I learned how to draw fantasy maps by studieing Tolkein's work way back in grade school. If I ever wake up in the dark land of Mordor one morning - I'll be able to find my way NE to The Shire, and I won't need a GPS TOM TOM to do it!:D

delgondahntelius
03-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I primarily draw mg maps by hand. my tutorials help thread http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3013 could possibly help you out... as always I'm open to questions on how to go about things.

Turgenev
03-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I used to have a Coleco Adam back in the day. I spent many hours playing games and using it as a glorified typewriter. :lol: I've been known to draw my maps by hand now then. Often I will draw specific portions and scan them into the computer and continue with the rest in Photoshop. These days I'm 80% computer and 20% hand drawn. Sometimes it is just easier to draw certain things than trying to recreate them on the computer and other times it is the opposite.

delgondahntelius
03-06-2009, 01:05 AM
lol missed tor's post on my link... sorry for the repeat ya'll

Blake
03-06-2009, 04:36 AM
I almost exclusively hand draw my maps- most of them on paper for campaigns that I'm running, because I generate them on the spot.

Why? Because I don't know if the players are planning to go right or left, travel to this continent or that one, and I don't have the time or motivation to map everything for my campaigns (though I plan out a general idea in my head of what's where).

When I'm doing a serious work, like an overworld map for promotional or concept art material, or a map for hire, I use a tablet and do it digitally. However, I'm trying to move towards a process of reducing my hand drawn details to certain things (like a hand full of trees) that I can clone repeatedly.

So, yes, I suppose they're still hand drawn by me, but I'm moving towards methods of producing work faster so I can get more done, so the elements that are independently hand-drawn are being reduced over time.

My maps, though, are almost exclusively of an archaic "isometric" style iconography placed on an overhead map.

I also, occasionally, hand-sculpt my maps from clay. Sand is also useful if you have access to a beach.