PDA

View Full Version : Map of the Guild

Hoel
02-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Here's an idea inspired by xkcd (http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/online_communities.png).
How about a "map of the cartographers guild" challenge. What do I mean? Take a look at the link and imagine:
You could have a world map with the continent of bitmap to the east and the vector continent on in the west. On the continent of bitmap rages a great war between the Kingdom of Gimp and the great Photoshop Empire.
On the opposing continent there's the Profantasy Legue, led by the Kingdom of Campain Cartographer with it's vassals the city state of City Designer and the undeground realm of Dungeon Designer.
Down in the south are the mysterious VTT islands basking in the tropical sun. The Worldbuilding Ocean divides the world but far to the south lies the uncharted Sea of Commissions where untold fortunes can be made.
You can make a lot of wonderful details in there. The great Layer Mask River running throug the bitmap continent, the Symbol Set Mountains, the forrest of realism, the labeling islands...
You get the drift...

Challenge or not? Discuss and vote.

Steel General
02-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Interesting idea Hoel, I like it.

Midgardsormr
02-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Interesting idea. It would also be fun to leave the interpretation of "Map of the Guild" pretty open, so we might see a variety of different takes on what that might mean. The first thing I thought of when I saw the title was a map a few challenges ago in which most of the features were named after prominent posters here.

Ascension
02-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Sounds like a very creative take and possibly humorous one too. Lots of ideas running thru my head.

NeonKnight
02-26-2009, 01:04 AM
I Like It!

Hoel
02-26-2009, 07:01 AM
I think it should be open too. I just gave the example to raise the hype a bit.
The challenge should be about creating a map of the guild in any way, let the creativity flow!

joćo paulo
02-26-2009, 08:40 AM
At some time late a magazine published a map of this type here in Brazil.

http://lh6.google.com/xhugogamax/R6iuT5sSQqI/AAAAAAAAAbM/WkN7seKeMfs/Mapa%20Super%20Interessante%5B5%5D

ravells
02-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I think it's a great idea. We were thinking about something similar back when we were designing a pamphlet promoting the guild to hand out at conventions.

tcberry
02-26-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't really like it for a competition. The concept is too narrow for my tastes.

That shouldn't discourage someone in making a map along these lines, though. A couple maps in this vein might be pretty cool.

Nialas
03-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Humor aside, that's a great fantasy map.

Kingbreaker
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Truly cool and funky idea.

I like it.

I have no idea how I would respond to it, but I like it nonetheless.

Nomadic
03-26-2009, 01:12 AM
I am totally doing this regardless of whether it actually becomes a challenge

JBoucher
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Bwahahaha! This is excellent! Excellent!

*Mr. Burns appears*
Excellent...
http://walkerma.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/mr-burns.gif