PDA

View Full Version : VOTING: *** February '09 Challenge - Political Map ***

Steel General
02-26-2009, 07:18 AM
VOTE FOR 3 ENTRIES!!!

Make sure to rep the entrants you voted for!

The challenge was:

This month's idea comes from the challenge suggestion forum, compliments of joćo paulo (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3372).

We are looking for a socio-political map. The style, era and scale are your choice. It can come from the real world, a fantasy world or a future world.

A focus of this map MUST be political identifiers.... Flags, crests, banners or coats of arms must appear prominently on the work.

Thumbnail page is here (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Feb09.htm).
General Rules are here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=503).

Steel General
02-26-2009, 07:34 AM
OK, another difficult vote this month;

tcberry - even though I'm not a baseball fan, this was a unique take on the challenge
Qbista - just a fantastic map all-around
GamerPrinter - great job on an era I knew little to nothing about

EDIT: Honorable mention for: Ascension, Hoel & Darken

joćo paulo
02-26-2009, 08:19 AM
It's hard to choose just three.

Everyone did a good job.

But this month my votes are for GamerPrinter,Qbista and Hoel.

Redrobes
02-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I ran the thumbs script yesterday, post here if its not up to date and showing your latest entry !!!

Ascension
02-26-2009, 08:37 AM
I went with Qbista for his classy antique map, tcberry cuz I'm a huge baseball guy, and Gamerprinter cuz I think this is his best style. Honorable mentions to Hoel for his great crests, Steel General for his mindblowing detail, Bohunk for his always top notch quality, and mogul76 for doing a nice job with this challenge in B&W.

CBDroege
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
My thumbnail has not been updated to the latest version. :(

I certainly wont get any votes for that old version... I had it up and properly tagged by the 24th.... :/

CBDroege
02-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Hoel for meeting the requirements of the challenge most effectively
tcberry for the unique idea and superb execution
qbista for style and functionality

Fabrice
02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
It is no easy choice but I think my votes go for:

tcberry: I am no baseball fan but there is some insight there: check a Paris - Marseilles soccer game and you see which kind of allegiances matter these days. :lol:

Gamerprinter: beautiful, stylish, asian: I like!

Korrigan: I love the letter that went with the map, I like the blood on the map, and I like zombies.

And a special "out of competition" bravo for Kuraru. It looks like his "Divine the next Challenge Subject" ritual misfired, so he drew and posted his map a few month early, but it was pretty nice and could have been a good entry for this month.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3759

NeonKnight
02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
My Choices (in order of preference actually) are:

HOEL: His I felt captured the spirit the most, and I can look and see and understand it all without needing to refer to the Legend. The Crests invoked immediately what I needed to know. To north, Barbarians with fur hides, and everything else, to the west, Pseudo Eruopean. To the east Native American influence, to the south, Similar to the Guals, and Goths around the end of the Roman Empire, and to the far south, Middle Eastern/Romoan/Egyptian. PERFECT!

Next was Darken's Battletech map. Love the Battletech (Clan Draco always my favorite, though House Steiner seemed to always be the favored one :()

Finally came Qbista's map. Very Evocative, I just with the Crests were more pronounced on the final map, instead of subdued and part of the 'background'.

Good Job All!

jfrazierjr
02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Hard vote this month. Here are my votes in the order I picked them and why:

Hoel: This was my favorite for several reasons, but mainly, I think this best expressed the intentions of the contest and went to the extreme to satisfy the requirements, by creating one but TWO levels of political divisions. This as excellent thinking outside of the box, and those flags and standards really really are excellently done. The map itself is a bit to blurry for me(may have been intentional to bring out the flags), but overall, the map was still very nicely done and it was the contest rules that made you get the win.
Steel General: To me, this is by far the prettiest map for the sake of being a map, but it was second because Hoel outdid him on the political map part of the requirement both by sheer numbers as well as have two political divisions.
Gameprinter: Very nice map, with clear identifiers as well as some very nice extra's such as the drawings of the prominent figures as well as the hanging banner type approach to the whole thing. There are a quite a few places where the map felt a bit crowded though with everything that was going on.

tcberry
02-26-2009, 12:03 PM
This month had some really stiff competition, and my choices were not easily made.

Hoel - First off, it's a lovely map, and I also like the great variety of standards. In a word: epic.

Steel General - I dig the attention to detail and story behind this one.

Qbista - Great map. Don't know if I buy the boundary line of the dark hemisphere... would think that would have been a less jagged line, but overall great job.

Great job, everyone!

nolgroth
02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
When voting, I also add an "unofficial" category of usability to my decision making process. In other words, is the map something I would using in a role-playing game? That thought in mind, my votes in order of preference;

Steel General - Love the storyline and the breakdown in districts by guild. Beautiful detail.

Hoel - Lovely map with easy to understand icons.

Gamerprinter - I love the style of this piece of art. I can easily see the eastern influences in the map making process. The map itself could be useful, but I honestly see this as a potential player handout more than a functional map.

Great job to everybody that participated. As always, it was difficult to decide with all the entrants.

Midgardsormr
02-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Steel General: Cities are hard and time consuming. Undertaking one for a monthly challenge was brave, and you pulled it off marvelously.

tcberry: I've seen this kind of map before, but yours is better than any other I've encountered. Great job.

mogul76: To be honest, I liked the colored map a hair better--I am not very good at interpreting patterns. Still, the use of both calligraphy and iconic drawings looks very good. Plus, as I said, I have a great interest in the Warring States period, so that probably pushed you out ahead of some others. You do have a misspelling, though. Fertile, not furtile.

Honorable mentions go to Qbista, Ascension, and Hoel. I wanted to vote for all of you, and those of you whom I can will get the rep to go with that.

CBDroege
02-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm more than a little disappointed.

I know I wouldn't have won anyway, but I did put a lot of work into that map, and to have it not included in the final display means I didn't really get a fair shake.

I know it wasn't done on purpose, but I can't help but feel slighted.

Redrobes
02-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Its been updated now. Sorry for being a little late. I don't get an update that the voting is about to start.

To CL's, do you think it would be better to lock the threads for one day before opening up the voting so we can sort out these issues. Ideally we should have the vote list up but you cant actually vote until its open for business too. That would have corrected the last time issue. Its a mere 4 hrs from notification to it being a problem and I am not always around every hour to ensure its up to date. There's a general comment in the thumbs sticky to say that you should look at the link to the thread not just the link to the image. It used to be the case that the image was not linked to the main pic for this very reason but it was changed from consensus that it would be easier to navigate instead of checking 20 or so links. I hope the advice to look at the whole thread is being heeded.

torstan
02-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Can someone update the title of this thread to include the word Voting? I missed this thread for a while as I assumed that it was just an update to the discussion about the challenge.

Steel General
02-26-2009, 01:28 PM
@Torstan - I have updated the thread title.

@RedRobes - My bad, I forgot you like to run a final update before voting begins. BAD CL! *smacks himself on the forehead* :)

Redrobes
02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
I ran it last on 24th at 23:27pm so that was supposed to be a last run. Theres nothing I can do. The last submission by CB is yesterday at 5:46am which even if 6 or 7 hrs behind UTC makes it minutes to midnight on the 24th at best. Realistically, I just cant do any better than this. Its no ones fault other than the process could be improved to insert some delay in or the script could be automated at the server side which isn't happening at this point.

CBDroege
02-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I asked for a specific (to the hour) deadline, and no one would tell me one, So I made sure to get it in by midnight EST. :/ Next time, I'll make sure not to cut it so close, even if it means not doing as much as I want with the map.

Also, sorry for hijacking the voting thread, I should have put my comment somewhere else.

jfrazierjr
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I asked for a specific (to the hour) deadline, and no one would tell me one, So I made sure to get it in by midnight EST. :/ Next time, I'll make sure not to cut it so close, even if it means not doing as much as I want with the map.

Also, sorry for hijacking the voting thread, I should have put my comment somewhere else.

The problem is that there is not a specific deadline. Since all the CL's are volunteers who live in different timezones (Torq is in South Africa, which is I think GMT+1, Ravells is GMT, the rest of us are EST, CST, and PST (hope I did not leave anyone out!) and there is no telling exactly when one of use will have time to take care of it. However, as RR says, perhaps the best solution is to lock the threads and give some offset time prior to the actual posting of the Poll. There have been serveral times where the poll was not created until like the 27th or 28th day of the month because everyone was really busy, and unfortunatly, thats just kind of how it works.

I apoligize that your map was not updated, but at least yours was on the thumbnail page... poor Gimil's did not even show up (of course, part of that is because he did not follow the contest rules and it looks like RR's script did not pick up the edit by RobA yesterday to add that tag in.

Redrobes
02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
You cant take these challenges too seriously. I have entered about 15 and the highest place I got was 2nd. But that was on a month with only 2 entries. I have had some where I entered stuff I was really pleased with and thought maybe I could win but never made top half. Almost every month my top place choice doesn't win it though its usual that the final winner is still a great entry. I have also noticed that whoever leads early usually wins it too. I.e. there must either be broad consensus about the winner or that subsequent voters are persuaded by the current vote count. I cant think of a time where the leader was pipped by my memory is short. There has been people that have pulled out and got votes with one month where the guy only posted a place holder and got a vote too. Certainly its a strange place to examine. I can say it this month as I am not partaking but it usually leaves me mystified. Its about time I voted so just hope you don't get mine as I seem to back the non winners. :?:

Redrobes
02-26-2009, 02:30 PM
... poor Gimil's did not even show upOh eck another lost soul... I have added him and redone it. I think the CL who starts the voting should just have a run over the thumbs thread just to check its all in order and PM me or something. I have to add any entrant to the entrants list which is usually a list in one of my posts in the challenge description thread.

Nomadic
02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Why is my garbage map up for vote? I dropped out at the very beginning of the month.

Redrobes
02-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Gosh, I have doomed the leader QBista at this point. Well he's gonna be pipped for sure now. Particularly like Hoels banners. They would make a good download set and went for Korrigans map which is my outsider choice but had some strong color for this particular challenge. Steels town plan was great but I didnt immediately see the political boundaries in it which was called for. And three ancient japan maps too. Like busses all arriving at once :|

Karro
02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Dirty stinkin rules...

I don't think I've ever been this torn. I love Hoel's, Steel G's, Ascension's, Korrigan's, tcberry's (also despite not being a sports fan), and Qbista's. Somehow, I can't make that add up to 3.

Ultimately, I decided to go with Qbista, Hoel, and tcberry.

Hoel, because I love the look of the various banners on this one.
tcberry because of both the unique approach, the pleasing appearance that is better when you look at it than in thumbnail, and the unique use of Latin or latin-like names...
Qbista because even though his and Ascension's follow a similar style, and I think Ascension captures the map style better, I think Qbista's coats of arms and political symbols are better and overall, his map captures the spirit and goals of this competition the best.

Steel G, Ascension, and Korrigan get super-kudo-honorable-mentions.

Bohunk
02-26-2009, 02:54 PM
GP, Qbista & Ascension. Three in a row would have been tough. Gratz to all!

Steel General
02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I think the CL who starts the voting should just have a run over the thumbs thread just to check its all in order and PM me or something. I have to add any entrant to the entrants list which is usually a list in one of my posts in the challenge description thread.

That's probably a good idea RR. I used the posts in the forum not the Thumbnails to set up the poll.

mogul76
02-26-2009, 03:22 PM
My votes go to:

1. Gamerprinter for creating a fantastic symbol set and integrating them in a great-looking (Asian!) map. You are a true master mapper!

2. Hoel. Excellent map. Great symbols. If you make your symbols available as a downloadable set (as suggested by Redrobes), I'll create a second account and you'll get another vote >:)

3. Qbista for being the best newcomer. Very nice, old-looking map.

Mogul76

PS Apparently two people have voted for my entry. Ascension and Midgardsormr (wow... 2 master mappers voting for me :P Thanks, guys!). But I only see 1 vote next to my name :shock:

jaerdaph
02-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Nice work by all the contestants! That was really hard narrowing it down to three. In the end, I had to flip a coin.

And Kudos to whomever came up with the idea for a thumbnails page for the contests!

ravells
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
That was really tough. I could have easily voted for 6 maps. In the end I really did flip a coin to choose.

Qbista
02-26-2009, 05:48 PM
I voted on:
=> Ascension - I really liked it's style - grunge, colorful, very nicely merging realistic map style with political borders identifiers.
=> tcberry - because it look so beautiful. Especially I'm impressed about that thing with signifying the borders of clubs influence - they look like painted.
==> bohunk - for the effort that he devoted on working with the emblems, I also liked it style.

Midgardsormr
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
(wow... 2 master mappers voting for me :P Thanks, guys!).

Don't get too excited. That title is merely linked to post count.

You're welcome!

Ascension
02-26-2009, 08:46 PM
I went ahead and gave everyone some rep on this one and hopefully pointing out the positives of their map...it was a fairly difficult challenge. Also by repping everyone it also allows me to go back and spread some love to those I haven't been able to get to recently. Now I just gotta remember who I promised some love to...

bartmoss
02-27-2009, 01:15 AM
You are not making my voting decision easy guys. I had trouble cutting it down to 7, and there I am at the moment. I can't decide. Maybe I'll have to roll dice! :D

bartmoss
02-27-2009, 01:52 AM
I finally made up my mind, but it really wasn't easy. Congrats to all entrants for their nice work. If I didn't vote for you and you had a completed map, it was because I only have three votes. :)

Hoel
02-27-2009, 10:03 AM
OK. My votes are as follows, in order of excellence:
Qbista - The best. I wanted to my map to look more like this, but time constraints made me cut down a bit and concentrate on the banners instead
Bohunk - Love the map but the flags are a bit simplistic.
Steel General - I love city maps and this is a great style.
Thanks everyone who voted for me. I'll see about making up the banners as a set.

industrygothica
02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
For me Qbista's and GP's maps were a no-brainer. They're just incredible.

The trouble I had was deciding between Steel General's and Hoel's maps. I'll have you know it caused me great stress, but I ultimately went with Steel General.

-IG

Greason Wolfe
02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Alas, being on dial-up, still, has it's downfalls. One of them being it always takes a long time for me to load the larger maps. But it is always well worth the wait, and the maps from this month's challenge were no exception. Again, some great work on everyone's part, even those who may not have been able to finish before the deadline and everyone who entered deserves credit for at least making the attempt.

Now, on to the voting.

The competition was fierce once again, and I found myself torn between several maps. In the end, it came down to mixture of aesthetics and completeness. Thus, my final votes, in no particular order;

SG - Split, Splintered and Sundered

I loved the texture and overall feel of this map. For me, it is the prime example of what a city should and could look like, particularly one with this kind of background

Qbista - The Planet Which Has Stopped

It was the completeness of this map that did it for me. Little details like names of cities, towns and villages are my bread and butter sometimes. Though I would have liked to see the heraldry stand out a little more, it was still an excellent map

GP - The Gempei War

What can I say, I'm a sucker for the little extras like the portraits at the top and the look of this map hanging on a wall. Not that those were the only selling factors. Another excellent map and one that I was proud to cast my vote for

GW

joćo paulo
03-02-2009, 06:38 AM
I think we have a tie!

industrygothica
03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
I think we have a tie!

Although it looks to have been broken already, I couldn't think of a more appropriate way for this one to end.

-IG

Baziron
03-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Somebody do something then! I put my bet with GP, Qbista, an Hoel. But ever since I finished playing both Genji I and Genji:Days of the Blade, I strongly favour GP.

Steel General
03-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Another close one this month.

Congratulations to QBista!!

And thanks to all of the other participants. Remember to 'rep' those you voted for (if you can).

joćo paulo
03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Congratulations on the victory QBista!

Qbista
03-03-2009, 10:09 AM
OH - MY - GOD.

I would be a liar, if I didn't admit, that I was following the poll; but I need to say that it is totally surprising for me, that I was able to win the Entry.

Thank You for Your votes, and Your suggestions at the first phases of my work at this map. Without Your help, for sure, the map would't be good enough to compete with such great projects that We saw in this month's entry.

Thank You very much!

Gamerprinter
03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Great job, QB! It got close towards the end, but you definitely got the win! I'm satisfied though, I got more REP out this than anything I've done before, so I'm quite happy with the results.

GP

Karro
03-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Another close one this month.

Congratulations to QBista!!

And thanks to all of the other participants. Remember to 'rep' those you voted for (if you can).

Where's his shiny medal?

Korash
03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
glad to see that a "novice" can win a competition. 8)

Very good work all around folks!!

and congrats to Qbista

Korrigan
03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Great work, everyone ! And congratulations, first to Qbista who did a great job with his first entry, and to GP who kept close enough to let us enjoy a great deal of suspense (great work too, BTW ;))!

I can't wait to see what the next challenge is going to be, and the great maps that will surely come off of it ! I learn more and more in each challenge, and I guess one day I'll be able to compete with you guys (in ten or twelve years, maybe ^^) !

Gamerprinter
03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Just to see if I need to make time for the next challenge, since I am rather busy this month - what do we have on our plate for March?

GP

Steel General
03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Where's his shiny medal?

He now has his Award.

what do we have on our plate for March?

We're still working on it.

torstan
03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Congratulations Qbista - a well deserved win. Twoj mapa jest bardzo latwe!

(apologies for terrible Polish, I'm a little rusty)

Qbista
03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Congratulations Qbista - a well deserved win. Twoj mapa jest bardzo latwe!

(apologies for terrible Polish, I'm a little rusty)

Thanks, Torstan ;)
I need to say, that Your Polish is very nice! ;)

-------------

Wow - that award under my nick looks really impressive to me - I still cannot believe, that I won this Entry - thanks again to all of You.

torstan
03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
It was always the declination that got me.

Gamerprinter
03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Based on the Challenge Suggestions forum... its down to these:

1. River Police Challenge - of course this could be mixed in with other challenge ideas too.

2. Hoel's Verticle Map - which has lots of potential. Something to try at least.

3. Underwater Map - an old suggestion of mine, I still think has lots of potential.

4. War Map - unless the CLs decide that the December Challenge - the siege already complied with this suggestion, though many posting to that thread disagree whether this idea was truly fulfilled (sieges are not the only kind of map to create)

5. Board Game Map - catering especially to all the Conquer Clubbers here, this might be worthy as well.

Just in case the CL's are still haggling on which way to go...

GP

jfrazierjr
03-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Based on the Challenge Suggestions forum... its down to these:

1. River Police Challenge - of course this could be mixed in with other challenge ideas too.

2. Hoel's Verticle Map - which has lots of potential. Something to try at least.

3. Underwater Map - an old suggestion of mine, I still think has lots of potential.

4. War Map - unless the CLs decide that the December Challenge - the siege already complied with this suggestion, though many posting to that thread disagree whether this idea was truly fulfilled (sieges are not the only kind of map to create)

5. Board Game Map - catering especially to all the Conquer Clubbers here, this might be worthy as well.

Just in case the CL's are still haggling on which way to go...

GP

We have an idea of which one, but as you say, have not come up with the specific details.....

Hoel
03-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Congrats Qbista. It was no contest as far as I'm concerned.
GP: I told you it was a crowd pleaser! :) Nice job
SG: If the duel idea gets of the ground, I'm coming for you! :)

Great job everyone! I just love the guild. An honest, friendly and, most of all, sharing community. Keep it up guys!

My favs has won 2 for 2 since I joined. I'll step up next time, hopefully I've got more time then. It was a fun challenge and useful for my D&D group.

As for next month my favs tied with are my own vertical map idea or a game board map as no1 with a war map on close second.

ravells
03-03-2009, 08:36 PM
congrats Qbista!!!!!

Fantastic Map and a very worthy winner!!!

hard fought and well done!

Bohunk
03-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Gratz to you Q. Well done!