PDA

View Full Version : New Spam Attack

Arcana
12-03-2006, 09:49 AM
We got a very different spam attack last night from something I wasn't expecting at all...private messages.

I'm working on a couple of forum mods that I neglected to install before because I thought I had things under control, but see what happens when you turn your back for 5 minutes?

If you got an email indicating that you had a bunch of private messages, yet when you arrived on the site you had none...thats the Spammer...I deleted the messages and the spammer. It also should not happen again after this weekend, because I will be taking some time tonight to install some updates that should make things a little more difficult for these bastards.

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Sir Alain
12-03-2006, 07:23 PM
bastards - an apt description...

Kepli
12-04-2006, 04:46 AM
I dislike spammers very, very much ... :(

DaltonSpence
12-04-2006, 09:52 AM
You know, it might be useful if you PMed everyone about this situation ... ;)

--

Dalton "who's found 'tag for delete' a very useful function" Spence

loydb
12-16-2006, 07:38 AM
You need to enforce mod-approval before allowing people to post the first time. We're getting hit with all sorts of crap again.

loyd

RPMiller
12-16-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm on it right now, deleting the garbage, but I agree, either a Captcha filter for registration or Mod approval looks to be necessary.

Arcana
12-16-2006, 03:51 PM
I usually beat them to it...last night however I was stranded in Seattle in a windstorm that knocked out all power...In the meantime...I think the best thing for me to do is to upgrade to software that has better spam protection...I will be attempting to do that this week.

I am really sorry about all the spam attacks...I wish I could have been here to prevent it...in the meantime...I'm going to disable post on registration, and force manual verification on all new sign ups.

RPMiller
12-16-2006, 08:25 PM
No problem Arcana, that's what I'm here for. ;)

Intermagus
12-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Thank you for your continued vigilance against ***holes. :D

Talamar
12-31-2006, 08:23 AM
yes, the apsmming is a big problem of phpbb. On the www.dnd-gate.de we also run phpbb and have had some bad problems with spam. After we installed some mods the problem got better.

Arcana
12-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Which mods if I may ask?

Talamar
01-01-2007, 05:03 AM
you may, but..

I have to ask my friend who manages the technical things on our server. He is in holiday at the moment.

But a few things I know:

1. we restricted guest user posting and installed a mod which ask for a code before a guest user can post his entry.

2. Installation of the mod "Anti Bot Question Mod"

I know he did some things more I will tell you later this week when he is back

RPMiller
01-01-2007, 01:28 PM
That sounds exactly like the Captcha that I've been mentioning Arcana. Captcha is a technology that tests for human versus computer. There are various levels of it the most basic just displaying some numbers as a graphic and the most advanced uses 'warped' characters and numbers with colors and graphic 'over spray'. The reason for the most advanced is that there are some bots out there capable of reading pixels in a graphic and determining the character from the contrasted colors.

That said, I have no idea what the plug-in might be called or where it could be found, but I bet a search on Captcha would turn up some possible leads.

Talamar
01-02-2007, 05:41 AM
yes, that is exactyl what th "Anti Bot Question Mod" does. It gives you the possibility to set different levels of a security code, one have to enter (if he is a guest or if he wants to register with the board).

We have that mod from the phpbb mod website.

Talamar
01-02-2007, 05:47 AM
ah by the way
I will talk to my friend later this day I guess, and then I can tell you more

Talamar
01-02-2007, 09:12 AM
okay I've talked to my friend and he told me that we only have installed the above named mod against spamming.

And we turned off guest posting.