PDA

View Full Version : Some Experimental Stuff from me

MadLetter
02-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey folks, it's the madman again! ;)

Okay, I must admit, I really love a brush-like... brush. In Photoshop. I like the effects attainable by using the brushes that are molded after real-life brushs and such... recently I toyed around with doing some brushes myself (like a house for a map) and made a few funny attempts. Nothing worthwhile, but I found a style I wanted to try out.

In the last 45 minutes or so, I finally came around to doing it. I made two small maps, both in a somewhat "asian" style from the... uhm, let's call it landscapes...

I kinda like the outcome. What do you guys think?

Edit: In the 2nd Image I tried to simulate ink running down after drawing and some splashes of color here and there. How does that look?

Ascension
02-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Kind of cute, like a child did it. Don't take that the wrong way...it's a neat idea.

MadLetter
03-01-2009, 12:28 AM
No offense taken, I just kinda like that style... I think I'll try doing a big map with that one, maybe after I refine it to something less "child-like" and a little more serious, whilst keeping the general theme and style...

Ascension
03-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Child-like is cool...when I want something like that I use my left hand. Lots of fun (for me anyways). Keeps my inner child alive kind of thing.

shpena
03-02-2009, 04:09 AM
Wow, very neat idea man. I'm quite fond of the Chinese wall scroll art type, and have a few myself. Check out this link (google images) http://images.google.co.jp/images?q=chinese+wall+scroll+pictures&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

If that doesn't work, you can just google "Chinese wall scroll art" or something to that effect and there should be a bazillion links to research. They used horse hair brushes back in the day to do both calligraphy and scroll painting.

Midgardsormr
03-02-2009, 10:09 PM
I'll bet if you did it in a semi-translucent black over a golden parchment, it would look very authentic, maybe with some very dark reds. The child-like look comes only in part from the imprecise brush work; the rest comes from those bright primary colors.

MadLetter
03-03-2009, 06:55 AM
I'll try a few of the ideas here, thanks fellas! ;)

Vandy
03-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Child-like is cool...when I want something like that I use my left hand. Lots of fun (for me anyways). Keeps my inner child alive kind of thing.

Was that a "shot" at us left-handed people?

Y'know, we're the only people that are in the right side of their minds...

:P ;)

Regards,

Gary

Steel General
03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
we're the only people that are in the right side of their minds...

I used to have a t-shirt with something similar on it.

Hoel
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Who was it that said that the right hand is for destroying but the left hand is for creating?