PDA

View Full Version : Isles of the Empire of Asahi

Gamerprinter
03-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I finally started to work on the Isles of the Empire of Asahi map for my project at the CWBP. First I printed NK's Fractal Terrains version of the region of concern in B/W at 36" wide. Then I used a sheet of translucent bond (cheaper than vellum) and hand-traced the coastal outline and all the islands. Then I scanned it in a 300 dpi lineart and imported to Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2.

I traced it again, with a mouse to create the interior base and colors for all the islands. I don't plan to keep the land textue, I just wanted something more interesting to show in this first post. I may, of course, dump the blue sea in favor of my more recent use of parchment style backgrounds instead.

Unlike my Genpei War Map, I don't plan to use my Ukiyo-e Symbol set. Instead, I plan to hand-draw all the mountains and terrain similar to my Lands of Crae regional map, but in much finer detail as this land mass is quite huge.

To give you some idea of how big this chain of islands is... just the main island (I call Anshu) from east to west is about 1800 miles long.

Next step is to create the hills and mountains, afterwhich I will cut the rivers.

WIP so far...

GP

Steel General
03-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Looking good GP!

Just as a curiosity, are you going to keep the heavy black stroke on the land masses or is it just there for show?

Hoel
03-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Good start. i don't like the white glow thou, it needs some work, maybe softening it and lowering opacity and change hue a bit...

Gamerprinter
03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Looking good GP!

Just as a curiosity, are you going to keep the heavy black stroke on the land masses or is it just there for show?

SG, that "heavy black stroke" is no heavier than the Archean Trade League, or any of the Crae Lands/Barbarian maps - I used the same pen to stroke those lines. Its just this map is only at its start. Keep in mind I plan to pen the mountains, hills, forests, swamps and other major terrain features with that same pen. So once all the details are in this currently very empty map, the outline won't stand out quite so much.

Hoel - I haven't created the parchment map background yet, for this one. Where you see "white" now is showing the white background through the edge of the water. Once I place a parchment, the white will change to whatever color the parchment is. Though I will probably lessen the gradient so that its not quite as heavy.

I'm going to try to stroke some mountains in between jobs here at work, I probably won't get much done until after the work day is over. Update probably tonight!

GP

Bohunk
03-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Subscribed. Looks good so far.

Gamerprinter
03-17-2009, 01:16 AM
I finally have something to show, but this is my commercial version, so as not to have any CC to other licensing issues with the CWBP (and being a derivative of NK's world map.) This is before labeling, but almost finished.

I dug up my Superstition Valley mountain objects for something different, and not having to hand-draw everything, from my Nov. 07 Challenge map.

This is more my size and island distribution than the original one in my previous post. Don't worry, when I have time I will get to that map as well.

Enjoy!

GP

Torq
03-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Looking good GP. Its been a real pleasure watching this portion of the CWBP world developing so quickly.

Torq

Steel General
03-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Nice job GP!

I think the only thing I would change (and this is minor) is to blend the transition from the mountains to the grasslands a bit.

Gandwarf
03-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Nice job GP!

I think the only thing I would change (and this is minor) is to blend the transition from the mountains to the grasslands a bit.

Agreed with Steel General. The mountains feel too much pasted on right now. There should be more of a transition I think.

Jykke
03-17-2009, 12:16 PM
It is interesting how you have mixed different visual styles in the terrain generation (forests and mountains for example) and still managed to do a good working map. :) I have to admit there are few things I would personally have done differently, but what I am to argue with a professional mapmaker :) I guess this is far from the full resolution version that will be delivered to the client?

Gamerprinter
03-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Actually I am not happy with the design. I am still struggling with a type of mountain to depict on this map. My ukiyo-e symbol mountains are too small and too few to adequetely cover this terrain. My Superstition Valley mountains are isometric (like the Ukiyo-e) but is indeed not working with my forests.

I may end up with top down hand drawn mountains, as my next attempt.

Yes, its low res, but regarding the client: that's me. I am the cartographer and primary publisher of this for use in a 3 part adventure mini-campaign for my Kaidan setting.

It was getting late so I threw in the forests last minute.

I'll probably work on this again.

My real problem, is I need a regional map, so I can start creating provincial which is what I really need moreso than the regional, but you can't make a province unless you know what the whole thing looks like.

Really, I need to start making a city map for the island port of Gaijinoshima, then start working on encounter maps for the adventure -- the regional map, though a necessary step, is in the way for the rest of my project. Its difficult to move forward without it.

I'm just not happy with it.

GP

Jykke
03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Well, You could do the whole thing with another technique and abandon this one all together.. I've gone over 3-4 techniques on the map I'm currently working on.. and even I've found the tools I need to get everything together, I'm still far from completing the map. So, you might wan't to try a whole new approach if this style isn't getting you any closer to your objective :)

Gamerprinter
03-17-2009, 03:37 PM
That's a simple enough process, although those mountains are hand-drawn by me, they were PNG files that I just resized and placed, duplicated, flipped then resized again, until all mountains were placed. Added the color in as a separate object, mouse outlined the forests and applied a texture map - that's it.

So really a matter of selected all the mountains, forest and color and hitting the delete key.

I'll just hand-draw top down mountains next on a separate piece of paper, scan and place onto this same map. Its not really like starting over.

GP

Gamerprinter
03-17-2009, 08:33 PM
OK, much better mountains - top downs and all hand-drawn for this map. I think it transitions with the ground layer better, as well. I think I'm not going to place any forests and simply imply that the land is mostly forested. This way I can feature the cities, roads, provincial borders and labeling much easier.

Besides at the altitude imagined, the forests would hardly be seen against the green planted soil.

Next on to labeling, city placement, etc. I plan to use Kamon (family crests) as city locations, though I might also place castles and temples as well.

I much more pleased with this version, than the last.

GP

Jykke
03-18-2009, 03:24 AM
Those mountains do seem to fit the landscape better than those before. Good that you didn't have to redo the whole thing just because the mountains didn't fit as well as you had in mind. :)

Karro
03-19-2009, 10:45 AM
OK, much better mountains - top downs and all hand-drawn for this map. I think it transitions with the ground layer better, as well. I think I'm not going to place any forests and simply imply that the land is mostly forested. This way I can feature the cities, roads, provincial borders and labeling much easier.

Besides at the altitude imagined, the forests would hardly be seen against the green planted soil.

Next on to labeling, city placement, etc. I plan to use Kamon (family crests) as city locations, though I might also place castles and temples as well.

I much more pleased with this version, than the last.

GP

The mountains look good, but now I think they beg a hand-drawn black outline for the islands... IMO, anyway.