PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Halfpint
03-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi All,

Recently discovered this site and I think this is a great forum for this type of work. I look forward to not only checking out all the great maps but also contributing as time allows.

Personally I've worked in the field of GIS and Cartography professionally for the last ten years and combine that with me being a gamer and you get your standard recipe for someone who thinks made up maps are cool :)
Here is an example of my job work (res is kinda low):
http://clss.nrcan.gc.ca/images/dawsonls_full.jpg

I have always made maps for my games but its always been challeniging since I'm used to working with real world data.
My last major game map was for a long campaign of D&D:

My first city map for Earthdawn (city built into the side of a volcano)

In related fictional mapping I created a website making 2D interepretations of Counter-Strike maps, site was pretty big in its time:
http://csnation.totalgamingnetwork.com/cs2d/

Well thats all for now,

Half-Pint

Feralspirit
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Hey, what I could see was some impressive work. (Couldn't see the attatchments, for some reason, but I'll come back to check them out later.) Welcome!

Ascension
03-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Welcome to The Guild. We love having pros here so that you can chime in and point out where our theories are flawed...always welcome for those of us who try to do more "real" looking terrains.

joćo paulo
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Cool maps you are made Halfpint!
welcome!

Steel General
03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Have some additional 'rep' for showing us some maps in your intro post *bonk*

Redrobes
03-05-2009, 07:09 PM
These are no glass half empty maps here. You should have called yourself... MEGASTEIN

RobA
03-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Schweet. Another Canuck!

Nice maps too, btw. Do you work for NRCan?

-Rob A>

NeonKnight
03-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Halfpint
03-06-2009, 10:10 AM
** Well since I actually made these maps using a GIS (vector files) I exported them originally as PDF to keep them crisp, while I lose the thumbnails the quality of the final is super clear now. My local Adobe license is currently snafu'd so I think the export from PDF to JPEG was causing issues. Anyways you should be able to actually see them now.

Actually I work at Environment Canada right now but I did about 5 years at NRCan. For you Yanks NRCan is like your US Geological Survey. In Canada we split up our environmental sciences as a seperate department from natural resource management.

I work with Protected Areas and split my mapping time between various policy support and endangered species work.

I'm not sure why my links thumbnailed but didn't load properly I'll try uploading the files again.

Half-Pint

Feralspirit
03-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey, right on! Thanks for better view. I love your scale on the campiagn map. I've considered similar, but time of travel naturally varries by mode of transport. Still, I'm entertained to see it. I tried to rep ya' again just cause I got a kick out of seeing it, but I need to spread the love around. Great stuff, hope to see more soon. Cheers!

Halfpint
03-07-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm trying to remember exactly why I did the scale that way, I guess I didn't want to make the world as gigantic as the Earth since folks only had feet, horses and ships to travel with. These days I try to put a physical scale on my campaign maps and duplicate it with transport methods, since players are always trying to figure out how far apart towns are from a practical perspective.

RPMiller
03-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Excellent introduction to the Guild Halfpint, and welcome! Have some more rep. :)

We have another professional who uses GIS professionally and brings his techniques to his fantasy maps. You may want to check them out. Here is one of his latest threads:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4023

His name is HandsomeRob if you want to search for other stuff he's done.

Halfpint
03-07-2009, 12:17 PM
In fact he is the very reason I joined. I was checking out some of his tutorials and said to myself there are some cool cartographers I want to meet here.

HP