PDA

View Full Version : When it rains, it pours...

Robbie
03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
So...I've been kinda distracted lately by some personal issues...stuff goin on at home, I won't bore you all with the details, but its going...

And then, just as things start getting to the point where I feel like I'm moving forward...disaster strikes.

So yesterday I'm driving along, and this lady decides she would like to change lanes...into my lane...right on top of me. So I swerve to get out of the way and my truck starts to fishtail and lose control, and next thing ya know I'm going off the road sideways backwards and I roll over twice.

The older lady had no idea she was involved, so she kept going...another witness saw everythign through her rearview mirror and took off after the lady chasing her down, honking her horn trying to get her attention, but to no avail, so she copied down her information and returned to the scene to find me being helped by some folks on the scene to climb up and out of my passenger side door (since the truck was laying on its drivers side)

I walked away from the incident with a separated shoulder, sprained neck, and severely bruised pride. Still waiting on statute and insurance process. I'll keep you guys posted. But here's some pics.

ravells
03-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Holy Crap, Robbie, I'm glad you walked away from that one...

nolgroth
03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Thank heavens you are still alive. That is one nasty looking accident. Best wishes on your speedy recovery.

Robbie
03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
yeah I was very lucky.

Steel General
03-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Good god! All that and only a separated shoulder & sprained neck, someone was watching out for you!

Take care man we'll be thinking of ya.

torstan
03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Wow. I guess that's why they build trucks strong. I'm glad the truck took the beating for you. I hope you get better soon and that all the inevitable paperwork goes through without any hassle.

Redrobes
03-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Wow, don't know whether you were really unlucky or really lucky there. Looking from afar I think real lucky actually. Glad your basically alright tho. Trucks a bit of a write off tho and it looked like a real beaut too. :(

jfrazierjr
03-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Dang, that's bad. I am surprised you did not get hurt more based on the truck.

I walked away from the incident with a separated shoulder, sprained neck, and severely bruised pride. Still waiting on statute and insurance process. I'll keep you guys posted. But here's some pics.

Of course, the most important question is: is it your mapping shoulder that's messed up?:P

Gamerprinter
03-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Thank God, only a sprained neck and separated shoulder - still, ouch!

I mentioned in a post somewhere, that only 3 weeks ago I was in a collision with a drunk driver (woman) who fled the scene. My car ended up $300 short of total, but the insurance company had it repaired instead - just got my car back last Friday.

Luckier for me, no one was injured - wow, '09 hasn't been good for either of us as far as being on the road is concerned!

Good Luck!

GP

Greason Wolfe
03-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I can feel for ya. Been there and done that in almost the exact same set up, except I spent a few weeks in the hospital. Good to hear that your injuries weren't quite as bad. It does make you wonder, though, when the DMVs are going to start insisting on some "common sense" testing for drivers of all ages. We have a lot of idiot drivers where I live. During the December Snow Storms, I just couldn't believe how many people were driving around without chains, studs or some sort of traction tires as if the roads were absolutely clear. On top of that, a good portion of them were on their cell phones at the same time. I was amazed that there weren't more accidents.

Anyways, hope you get to feeling better soon.

GW

Hoel
03-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm glad youre allright. I'm also glad I'm a pedestrian by nature.

Robbie
03-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all teh well wishes and stories...I do think this past year and so far this one hasn't been very good to me as far as troubles are concerned...This site has become my rock! Its doing so well traffic wise lol.

I'm actually really ok. Surprisingly ok...I've not taken a pain killer since lunchtime. Must be all that working out I've been doing trying to get back in shape.

NeonKnight
03-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Holy JeeBus!

Glad to hear you are OK Arcana!

Take care!

töff
03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
"Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly."

Glad you came through it, pal.

Robbie
03-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Anybody wanna reccommend me a car to get? I want something I can use my ipod in lol.

Turgenev
03-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Holy sh#t! I'm glad you were able to walk away from that wreckage. I hope you feel like your old self soon. Sorry I can't recommend a car (I know nothing about cars) but I hope you get something soon.

Sigurd
03-05-2009, 11:57 PM
I'll go on record as saying "that Sucks!". Yes you're lucky to be alive etc..etc... but I wish none of it had happened. Thank god for seats and belts etc....

Heal well, and quickly.

Sigurd

Sigurd
03-05-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm a pedestrian by nature.

So am I if I have a choice. I wonder how many mapping people avoid driving? Maps are sort of a lazy man's travel - bring me the world and put it on my desk...

Sigurd

torstan
03-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Volvos. I span one when I was younger and came away entirely unhurt - to the amazement of the police officer who had to come and deal with the crash (just me and a crash barrier). They are built like tanks. Sadly no iPod connections that I know of, but you can always get an fm radio adapter. That has the added advantage that you can take over other drivers radios - always entertaining - especially if you interrupt classic fm with a bit of scissor sisters, or AC-DC.

Ascension
03-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Glad yer ok man, this place would not have been the same without you. Old people **** me off when they do stupid crap like that. Of course drugged up hippies **** me off when I'm riding my motorcycle and they do something similar to me (broke both arms and both legs and collar bone back in 94 after a Grateful Dead concert). Hope your recovery goes well too :)

As for a new car, well, my dad bought a used Benz SUV for $15,000 just 2 months ago. It's in perfect shape and still under warranty for another 5 years...plus Benz's are always pretty good on the safety and thingamabobs like Ipod hookups n such. With the economy in the tank car dealers are throwing cars at people just hoping someone will buy...so I say go big, go fancy...you may never get another chance. Heck I'm even thinking of getting a Benz -- and I'm a motorhead, hot rod kind of guy.

Greason Wolfe
03-06-2009, 09:40 AM
So am I if I have a choice. I wonder how many mapping people avoid driving? Maps are sort of a lazy man's travel - bring me the world and put it on my desk...

Sigurd

That's me too. Pedestrian and Mass Transit. Fortunately we have a good mass transit system here and work is only about half a mile away. I got lucky in finding my apartment because it is within a mile of everything I NEED to survive and within a couple miles of everything I might want.

GW

Torq
03-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Thinking of you Robbie. Glad you made it out without serious injuries, but keep awake for the potential delayed symptoms of whiplash, which may take a few weeks to manifest (man, I've been a lawyer too lonng!) Hope you recover soon.

Torq

jaerdaph
03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
:o :shock: Holy crap, Arcana! I'm glad to hear that it wasn't as bad as it looks like could have been!

Robbie
03-06-2009, 06:49 PM
well, I spoke to the ladies insurance, and they are of course denying any responsibility for the accident. They wanted a statement from me immediately and I didn't want to give them one without first talking to my insurance company and seeing the police report...

So I called the highway patrol to find out about the report, and it hasn't even been filed yet...so I probably saved my ass by not saying anything too soon. I then called my insurance company and they went ahead and opened a claim and are wanting to go ahead and settle the claim for me with what they call "reclaim rights" should fault be determined to lie on the other lady. Since florida is a no fault state and she didn't physically impact my vehicle, if there's no citation issued then my insurance will be responsible for my injuries and vehicle.

I looked up my truck and suggested retail price is $11,380...so I'm hopeful.

We'll see what happens. As soon as I find out whether or not she was cited, I'll let ya know.

jfrazierjr
03-06-2009, 06:56 PM
well, I spoke to the ladies insurance, and they are of course denying any responsibility for the accident. They wanted a statement from me immediately and I didn't want to give them one without first talking to my insurance company and seeing the police report...

So I called the highway patrol to find out about the report, and it hasn't even been filed yet...so I probably saved my ass by not saying anything too soon. I then called my insurance company and they went ahead and opened a claim and are wanting to go ahead and settle the claim for me with what they call "reclaim rights" should fault be determined to lie on the other lady. Since florida is a no fault state and she didn't physically impact my vehicle, if there's no citation issued then my insurance will be responsible for my injuries and vehicle.

I looked up my truck and suggested retail price is $11,380...so I'm hopeful.

We'll see what happens. As soon as I find out whether or not she was cited, I'll let ya know.

Well, if you have the witness, you probably have it in the bag.

mathuwm
03-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Glad you are ok

It might be time to lawyer up

I was also just is an accident and still have trouble sitting and have not posted much since.
Not to steal your thunder---- I have uploaded some picks of my former car

Ascension
03-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Man, bad time of year for some folks. Hope you get well soon, too, mathuwm.

RPMiller
03-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Daaaaannnngggg, Robbie glad to hear you are relatively okay. People are just oblivious all over the country.

I have to say you guys are scaring me though. I have a 180 mile round trip commute every Tuesday night, and much of it is through unpopulated areas so an accident for me would be very very bad, but thankfully I do have On Star so there is that piece of mind should anything happen. Something to consider for your next car Robbie. :)

Now I need to go make sacrifices to the god of motorways to insure safe passage...

Redrobes
03-07-2009, 08:55 AM
My car was written off last October but it was a mere bump nothing like these. Whats surprising is the quantity of posts of mangled wrecks here. I used to commute down a section of a motorway notorious for its accident rate and I saw a lot of wrecks on the side and a lot of near misses and had a few myself too. I gave that up and worked closer to home and I can say that I am sure glad of it. You just don't go through life continuously walking away from these situations so now I actively cut down on journeys that have these higher risk zones in them. Cant avoid it completely of course. Always different when your seeing people you know in these accidents so this thread is quite a poignant reminder that its not just 'other' people who get hit. The risk must be higher than is perceived. There should be a rule that wrecked cars have to stay by the side of the road for a week before being taken away. Makes you think tho...

Ascension
03-07-2009, 09:25 AM
RP seems to have the longest commute, 90 miles one way. Mine is only 20 feet one way. I only get hurt going to work if the squirrels decide to gang up on me.

Guys, and gals, be careful out there. Keep yer heads on a swivel...there's a bunch of self-absorbed people out there primping their hair and talking on phones and eating donuts while not paying attention to what's going on. It would be uber sucky to lose any of you. Seriously.

jaerdaph
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I was also just is an accident and still have trouble sitting and have not posted much since.
Not to steal your thunder---- I have uploaded some picks of my former car

:shock: :o I hope you weren't hurt too badly, mathuwn!

I'll think I'll stick to the New York City subway and my own two feet for now...

fabio0069
03-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Arcana.