PDA

View Full Version : *** March 09 Challenge - Rivermania ***

jfrazierjr
03-05-2009, 07:03 PM
This month's challenge is based on another suggestion from Gameprinter that the CL's liked.

Using the attached map as a starting point, throw a ton of precipitation at this map. The map is divided into 100 squares.

Every square must contain at least 1 water course.
1/5th (20) must contain at least 2 watercourses.
1/10th (10) must contain at least 3 watercourses.
The red marked squares do not need rivers in them.
Contestants must include a grid (10 x 10) overlayed on their final entry.

The end result should be one BOATLOAD of rivers. It is up to you to determine the scale of the map, the size of the map, and where to place place terrain features (mountains, etc.) to make such rivers happen...Remember, the River Police are watching....

Minor alterations are permitted to fractalize the coast lines, but the depicted rivers, lakes/seas, and coastal shape must be recognizable as derivative from the original. The rivers provided are the main river system of the section of land. It is expected (nay, demanded) that you add tributaries to these rivers as well as add additional river systems to suit your needs, but the existing rivers may not be lengthened.

torstan
03-05-2009, 07:10 PM
... and the attachment would be?

(I smell a delgondahntelius award :) )

industrygothica
03-05-2009, 07:11 PM
And the attachment? ;)

edit: I knew I should have refreshed one more time before I posted that...

jfrazierjr
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
... and the attachment would be?

(I smell a delgondahntelius award :) )

And the attachment? ;)

edit: I knew I should have refreshed one more time before I posted that...

Sorry guys, I was trying to be smart about saving space and link to the map and thumbnail for the CL forum post where we discussed it. I could see it without a problem and I assume the other CL's could, but I guess others could not. Anyway, I downloaded the image and uploaded from my machine and attached to the original post.

Redrobes
03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Cool, I might have a play with this one. I was hoping for the verticle map.

Actually, you couldn't post a PNG version of that map could you. There's JPG artifacts all over it.

Anyways, just reserving some space here for entrants to the thumbs...

### New Challenge Entry:joao paulo,4645
### New Challenge Entry:Roger,4646
### New Challenge Entry:Redrobes,4648
### New Challenge Entry:bartmoss,4650
### New Challenge Entry:torstan,4651
### New Challenge Entry:Korba,4652
### New Challenge Entry:Greason Wolfe,4663
### New Challenge Entry:Ascension,4671
### New Challenge Entry:misteradam,4673
### New Challenge Entry:waldronate,4676
### New Challenge Entry:gimil,4685
### New Challenge Entry:Torq,4710
### New Challenge Entry:Steel General,4711
### New Challenge Entry:RobA,4726
### New Challenge Entry:overwatch,4730
### New Challenge Entry:Benarius,4819
### New Challenge Entry:Map Vandal,4878
### New Challenge Entry:Draco18s,4939

jfrazierjr
03-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Actually, you couldn't post a PNG version of that map could you. There's JPG artifacts all over it.

Err.. what? I don't see anything...

töff
03-05-2009, 07:58 PM
*drool* .

töff
03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
JPG artifacts all over it.Isn't it just a template? Nothing will remain of this, after the new real art gets put on top, right?

Redrobes
03-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Yeah its a template so cutting out stuff with this is just a bit harder than it ought to be by being jpg.

RobA
03-05-2009, 08:23 PM
C'mon Redrobes, we don't want to do all the work for you!

I do believe there is a 2000x2000 png without the grid in the planning forum but we chose not to provide it since we are allowing mods to the coastline.

If people really demand it it could be provided, I guess...

-Rob A>

Greason Wolfe
03-05-2009, 08:36 PM
You know, I think I just might have a go at this one. Will definitely be good practice in one of what I consider to be my weaker areas. But just a bit of clarification;

The 1/5th and 1/10th restrictions - do these have to be separate water courses, or can they be continuations of water courses from neighboring squares?

Are we also looking for communities along these water courses, or is that up to the discretion of the contestant?

Lastly, although the scale of the overall area is up to the discretion of the individual contestants, does the final product have to match the physical size of the original map, or does it only have to maintain the proportions?

GW

jfrazierjr
03-05-2009, 09:02 PM
You know, I think I just might have a go at this one. Will definitely be good practice in one of what I consider to be my weaker areas. But just a bit of clarification;

The 1/5th and 1/10th restrictions - do these have to be separate water courses, or can they be continuations of water courses from neighboring squares?

Are we also looking for communities along these water courses, or is that up to the discretion of the contestant?

Lastly, although the scale of the overall area is up to the discretion of the individual contestants, does the final product have to match the physical size of the original map, or does it only have to maintain the proportions?

GW

The water courses can be continuations of those in neighboring squares.

As for communities, that is totally left to the discretion of the mapper as to how much detail they wish to put into the map. Of course, more completed and prettier maps are usually going to garner more votes...

Proportions have to match as does the grid count(100 squares,10x10). If one person wants a square to be 5 miles and another wants a square to be 300 miles, that's fine.

Greason Wolfe
03-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Proportions have to match as does the grid count(100 squares,10x10). If one person wants a square to be 5 miles and another wants a square to be 300 miles, that's fine.

Ach! I should have been more clear with my question. The original map (from the first post) is 500 by 500 pixels. Does the final product have to be that size as well, or can it be larger (i.e. for more detail). I would assume it could be, but want to be sure before I go hog wild and river crazy with it. :lol:

GW

jfrazierjr
03-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Ach! I should have been more clear with my question. The original map (from the first post) is 500 by 500 pixels. Does the final product have to be that size as well, or can it be larger (i.e. for more detail). I would assume it could be, but want to be sure before I go hog wild and river crazy with it. :lol:

GW

Ah!! the size is totally up to the mapper as long as the aspect ratio is maintained. The image was just a sample for posting so you could get the shape and layout of the land..

Korrigan
03-06-2009, 01:39 AM
I just have a stupid question related to some flaws in my english... Are "water courses" only rivers and the like, or could it be lakes as well ?

I ask the question because in french "cours d'eau" only refers to rivers, whether they go up to the sea or not, so I thought it might be a false friend...

Darken
03-06-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm gonna sit this one out... not really my style :(

Absinth
03-06-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't even get, what this challenge expects me to do... :D

delgondahntelius
03-06-2009, 03:33 AM
In simplest terms.... draw some rivers my friend, just make sure you don't upset the river police ..... :D

bartmoss
03-06-2009, 05:18 AM
I just have a stupid question related to some flaws in my english... Are "water courses" only rivers and the like, or could it be lakes as well ?

Watercourse (noun):
1. a stream of water, as a river or brook.
2. the bed of a stream that flows only seasonally.
3. a natural channel conveying water.
4. a channel or canal made for the conveyance of water.

(From dictionary.com)

The important part of the definition seems to be "flowing" water.

joão paulo
03-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Watercourse (noun):

(From dictionary.com)

uhmm!This gave me ideas.

Redrobes
03-06-2009, 07:57 AM
C'mon Redrobes, we don't want to do all the work for you!Oh allllriight then tsk tsk... :P I expect that if I flatten it to about 16 colors it will fix it anyway. I'll have a go if I have a little time.

Korrigan
03-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Watercourse (noun):

(From dictionary.com)

OK, so it has the exact same meaning as in french ;) Thanks !

jfrazierjr
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I really wish I had thought about this a tad more. I would have been rather cruel and made the river on the right side like this(red denotes where it currently ends):

misteradam
03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
can i add additional bodies of water as well?

if i can draw in any scale, can i increase the size of the starting rivers you have given us?

Gamerprinter
03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
can i add additional bodies of water as well?

if i can draw in any scale, can i increase the size of the starting rivers you have given us?

I would say as long as you follow the requirements for the number of water courses for particular square selections, you are free to create additional water courses (rules are "at least" 1, 2 or 3 watercourses) and can certainly allow you to place additional lakes, sinkholes, ponds, even swampy terrain, in addition to required water courses/rivers.

Again, as noted on a an earlier post, scale is up to the cartographer, so you can make this terrain any size you require as long as the rulings are adhered to regarding numbers of rivers, etc.

GP

PS: glad to see you participating in a challenge, MisterAdam, if you do!

Ascension
03-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Are the River Police allowed to enter or is it more that we are "strongly encouraged" to enter ;) ?

jfrazierjr
03-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Are the River Police allowed to enter or is it more that we are "strongly encouraged" to enter ;) ?

There were no discussions on the CL forums that I recall, so anyone is free to enter....

waldronate
03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
My inner rules lawyer needs to know: rule 2 says "1/5th (20) must contain 2 watercourses" but the other two items dictating number of watercourses include the modifier "at least". Does this mean that exactly 20 squares must contain exactly 2 watercourses or was it intended to be "at least 2 watercourses"?

jfrazierjr
03-08-2009, 07:39 PM
My inner rules lawyer needs to know: rule 2 says "1/5th (20) must contain 2 watercourses" but the other two items dictating number of watercourses include the modifier "at least". Does this mean that exactly 20 squares must contain exactly 2 watercourses or was it intended to be "at least 2 watercourses"?

At least. The idea of the challenge was to have every square with a river and make some squares have more than 1 river.

Redrobes
03-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I took it to mean exactly 20 like it said and removed a few to make it fit.

We cant seem to go a month clear without some challenge cock up.

jfrazierjr
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I took it to mean exactly 20 like it said and removed a few to make it fit.

We cant seem to go a month clear without some challenge cock up.

Sorry... I edited the original post to clear that up.

The original text is below with the addition underlined. It was just a typo that "at least" got missed from one of the requirements sections as both the first and third contained the missing text.

Every square must contain at least 1 water course.
1/5th (20) must contain at least 2 watercourses.
1/10th (10) must contain at least 3 watercourses.

Gamerprinter
03-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Well guys, I'm currently shining up my River Police badge and get the old Radar gun recalibrated. This month, I'm just going to watch and point out any river police issues. I've got my hands full with commission work, plus building my Kaidan setting for the CWBP. So I am not going to participate in the challenge this month.

Good luck everyone, I will be oogling for river anamolies, however!

GP

Torq
03-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Evening Officer. I'm here to hand myself in. I'm hoping for a non-custodial sentence and a warning though. Would love it if you would treat me as a first time offender even though that may not be completely factually accurate.

Torq

bryguy
03-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I finally came up with an idea, so I may or may not join xD

Depends on how fast I can make it...

Benarius
03-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi all,

just joined today and like to jump straight into it. Can somebody please tell me when the deadline is and where to post the final result?

Regards
Benarius

RobA
03-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi all,

just joined today and like to jump straight into it. Can somebody please tell me when the deadline is and where to post the final result?

Regards
Benarius

Read the general rules here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=503

and the challenge specific rules in the first post of this thread.

Not a lot of time left, as the challenges usually close, and all threads are locked 5 days before the month end, then there is voting for 5 days.

start a new thread in this forum, using the same name format as the others and add the LATEST WIP with the ###'s around it in the last post that has an attached image so the thumbnail scraper script can grab it.

Think that is about it.... Good luck, and more importantly, have fun, and learn something new!

-Rob A>

Benarius
03-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks heaps for your quick reply. I am on hollidays right now. I think 5-6 days will be enough. Not in it to win it. Just to learn and have fun. But maybe next time I'll kill it...lol.

Regards

Benarius

Ascension
03-21-2009, 01:47 AM
2 things real quick...are river violations acceptable (natural violations not challenge rules violations)? and is it good or bad to help others with said natural violations? I'd hate to rule out a map if I could have helped someone.

industrygothica
03-21-2009, 01:42 PM
2 things real quick...are river violations acceptable (natural violations not challenge rules violations)? and is it good or bad to help others with said natural violations? I'd hate to rule out a map if I could have helped someone.

And then there are those of us who wouldn't know a violation, natural or otherwise, if it reached up and bit us on the arse.

Ought to make voting interesting, anyway...

jfrazierjr
03-21-2009, 03:44 PM

It's never bad to help someone out as long as we're nice about it. The point of the challenge was to draw believable river systems, so if someone has rivers that cut from one sea to another or has 5 outputs from a lake, then yea, give them a hand. End result, each voter will determine if someone violated the rules (I have "personally" disqualified several beautiful maps from my vote cause I don't think they followed the challenge rules...)

bartmoss
03-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Mh when's the deadline on this? I did not get around to doing any work on my map this weekend, and may not get much time today.

jfrazierjr
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Mh when's the deadline on this? I did not get around to doing any work on my map this weekend, and may not get much time today.

The WIP threads will be locked sometime on the 26th (5 days before the end of the month). We can't say when since the Community Leaders are volunteers and are in drastically different timezones, so it just depends on when someone gets the time to get it done.

Benarius
03-24-2009, 05:02 PM
This is my first challenge and started a bit late, but I will enter with what I've got. I can't seem to find where and how I have to upload the map to enter.

Regards
Benarius

Torq
03-25-2009, 02:18 AM
Hey Benarius. The short answer is that you dont have to upload the map anywhere. You have an entry in the March challenge because you have a post entitled "March Entry:...etc". The problem is that the voting audience needs to know what your latest version is because there are normally several versions of a map posted in the same thread. Redrobes has solved this problem by coding a WIP scraper that searches the entries for the latest version of each map and copies the map to a separate thumbnails page. For the scraper to recognise a map you need to include the following at the end of the post to which the map is attached "### Latest WIP ###" (without the inverted commas). I would have edited your post myself to include this tag but it is not clear which map you intended to be yuor final version. If you let me know I can do it for you or you can create a new post in the thread with your final version attached and including the tag described above.

Torq

bartmoss
03-25-2009, 03:07 AM
The WIP threads will be locked sometime on the 26th (5 days before the end of the month). We can't say when since the Community Leaders are volunteers and are in drastically different timezones, so it just depends on when someone gets the time to get it done.

Okay, thanks, I fear I won't be creating a masterwork then, even for my low standards, but I'll try my best to advance the map today.

Benarius
03-25-2009, 04:57 AM
Appreciate it Torq. I just done it so I know for next time...lol.

Regards
Benarius

Redrobes
03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
The little challenge was supposed to end last night and I ran the thumbnailer then. If a CL wants to move this to a new entry thread and post me a note then ill add it and run it again. If the threads are locked and then I can run the script to ensure were all up to date then that would be better I think. Also gives people a few days to see the final versions before deciding.

Steel General
03-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I have moved Draco18s' post into its own thread.

Draco18s
03-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Ah, own threads. Heh. That's what I get for messing around at 5am.