PDA

View Full Version : March Entry: Excess

waldronate
03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Sure, I may not finish it but I thought I'd play a little. Here's the first cut with a few iterations of basic shapeburst and fluvial finding. It's the shapeburst (a basic distance calculation) that makes the mountian peaks show uniformly halfway between the water items. So far it's been an hour with Wilbur and Photoshop to get here. The water needs work and it also needs the usual map parts that make it a map and not just a landscape painting. It currently violates the "exactly 2 watercourses in exactly 20 squares" chalenge rule but I'm working on that.

### Latest WIP ###

jfrazierjr
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
It currently violates the "exactly 2 watercourses in exactly 20 squares" chalenge rule but I'm working on that.

No no.. if you REALLY want to have that much water and the geography supports the drainage properly, more power to your mapping!

Redrobes
03-08-2009, 09:06 PM
That shape burst is a novel approach and a cool tool / technique.

waldronate
03-24-2009, 11:08 PM
It'll have to do. A blasted wasteland, devoid of hope has been recently designated a "Scenic Byway" by the local government in an attempt to increase tourism revenues.

It's the same terrain as the first one, I'm pretty sure.

### Latest WIP ###

waldronate
03-25-2009, 02:38 AM
And this one meets the "must have a grid" rule. It's most of a grid, anyhow. Enough to ensure river counting accuracy. Even if the rivers are all dry like the lakes.

### Latest WIP ###

waldronate
03-25-2009, 03:02 AM
[EDIT] OK, I'll go with the isometric version. Not ideal but it'll probably be good enough.

### Latest WIP ###

Torq
03-25-2009, 03:09 AM
I must say, I find the isometric version very striking. It gives the impression of a slightly stylised map of the area made by the tourism bureau. It adds character and I prefer it to the top-down version.

Torq

waldronate
03-25-2009, 03:15 AM
And in case anyone wants to verify the hydrology, see attached. The rules say that you can't extend the rivers. I suppose my eligibility will depend on the definition of "river" and "extend".