PDA

View Full Version : Animal Crossing map in Excel

CBDroege
03-09-2009, 11:39 PM
My wife and I have been playing Animal Crossing: City Folk on the Wii lately, and she has made it her quest to Get a perfect score for out town (it's based on the placement of trees and flowers, for those who don't know the game). To this end, I suggested she make herself a map of the town, so that she can better track and plan.

Her first thought was to make the map in excel because that's a program she's already very familiar with.

So, with a little help from me, she made this easily editable map of our Animal Crossing town, which we call Catan.

It will only look right in Excel 2007, as 2003 does not have all of the conditional formatting options that we used to make it look right.

I had to upload it in a .ZIP file because the forum does not allow .xlsx files.

Steel General
03-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Never would have thought of using Excel to map (I hate EXCEL more than you can possibly imagine), but for what you're trying to do it makes sense.

I was able to view it in 2003, maybe not as pretty, but the idea/purpose definitely comes accross.

Redrobes
03-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I have seen several Excel maps over the years. Most are blocky with text etc. I haven't seen your map CB - maybe someone could post a small screen cap ?

I don't like Excel either tho I don't hate it with all that much passion. I just find that I can do everything it does easier another way. Possible exception is the graphing so I might do all the calcs and export a CSV and use that for a graph - maybe.

Good going to make a map of a game.

NeonKnight
03-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I unfortunately only have excel 2000 :(

CBDroege
03-10-2009, 05:05 PM
This is what it looks like on my screen.

Ascension
03-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Reminds me a bit of the Ultima IV map...ah good times, good times.