View Full Version : GIMP, Schmimp... A Planet in PDN

03-12-2009, 10:53 PM
For a first time image, I'm pretty happy. Paint.NET has loads of user-created plugins that rival anything I've seen in other graphics programs (which isn't much, I admit, but still).

Behold mah plannit an feeer meh. :lol:

03-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I'd chop out some clouds to show more land/water but I respect ya authoritah on da P.N

03-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Well, yeah. I was just thrilled that I got the clouds to work as a translucent layer and not block out the entire planet. Wasn't sure what would happen once I rendered them into spheres.

Annnnd, it's probably for the best that the land is mostly obscured; it makes me look more skilled that way. :)

I'm experimenting and still learning about what a lot of these things can do. I intend to update the "maps in PDN" tutorial that someone posted here a while back, once I get a little more familiar with mah n00 toyz. First thing I want to try is creating layered terrain with the threshold tool...

Three-year-old wants attention, though, so that has to wait.

03-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Nice globe, though the athmosphere might be too thick (viewed from the side, where you can actually see some space through it). :)

03-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Well, I never said it was a habitable planet... :D
This was more of an experiment to see if I could back up my assertion that Paint.NET can do spiffy mappity goodness just like the more popular GIMP and PS. I've been having a plugin download festival for the past two days, and I expect to be able to "translate" just about any PS/Gimp tutorial and make it work, in a few more days.

Glad you like the globe!

03-14-2009, 05:21 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about Paint.Net. I certainly like your planet so either the program is as easy as you say OR you have the talent to get the most out of it. :)

And I'm glad my children are older now. Different challenges but at least we can talk.

03-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Well, PH, you have actually restored my faith in Paint.net. I was told about Gimp and paint.net at the same time and both were well recommended (was looking for something to take my hand drawn landmasses into so I could add terrain features). I actually downloaded PdN first but the tuts I found were hardly instructive in how to go about doing mapping stuff. Then I found the CG and the wealth of "targeted" tutorials for Gimp and downloaded that and got a lot further with it.

I love that globe, BTW, and thanks for showing me that someone that I know wasn't just whistlin' dixie. :)

The only crit I have for the globe is that the Space that is visible through the atmosphere seems way too dark. I would think that it would be paler due to seeing it through the atmosphere. Similar to the outer layer, if not even paler

Good job again, have some rep

03-14-2009, 06:01 PM
I'd agree with the others, Heather, but it's not just the coverage it's the basic shape of the clouds too...they don't look very vortexy (is that a word?) like clouds at that distance tend to. Like the planet though!

03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm stunned I got rep at all for this... *grin*

And I do know that this map is flawed on many levels. My main intention was to see if I could work with PDN to get any kind of decent image at all, and I can. My secondary intent was to get an image that wouldn't make people barf at first sight.

I'm flitting between hobbies at the moment, so there will be a delay until I get another image done and uploaded, but I will be taking everyone's suggestions into account.