PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Earth Texture

Map Vandal
03-13-2009, 09:50 AM
I have been trying for some time to create a texture for a barren desert land I am trying to map. I am going for more of a cracked earth look as opposed to sand dunes.

Let me know what you guys think. Any advice would be great.

Steel General
03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
You defintely seem to be heading in the right direction. Though at least right now it's very repetitive (unless that is a tiled image).

Take a look at the images here (http://spiralgraphics.biz/packs/terrain_desert_barren/index.htm), they may give you some ideas/inspiration.

pasis
03-13-2009, 10:41 AM
One great way to get ride of repeating textures is to have several different textures on top of each other in separate layers. And to get the best look you should also play with layer opacity and fill and set each layer to multiply on to of the others.

jfrazierjr
03-13-2009, 11:52 AM
One great way to get ride of repeating textures is to have several different textures on top of each other in separate layers. And to get the best look you should also play with layer opacity and fill and set each layer to multiply on to of the others.

Or use a layer mask to show whichever texture layer you want in a particular area and then move on to next layer/mask combo and repeat on a different part of the image.

pasis
03-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Here is a quick modification of your texture. I just added another layer with different texture. Now it doesn't look that much tiled anymore and in case you want to have the original texture more visible then just lower the opacity of the other layer(s).

And if that is not enough then you can go one step further and use the masking technique jfrazierjr mentioned.

Nomadic
03-14-2009, 04:18 AM
Very awesome texture mod pasis, would rep you but I need to spread it around some more >_>. Likewise to the OP (whom has gotten some rep). Good work

Steel General
03-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Good job Pasis - snagged!

ravells
03-14-2009, 04:23 PM
You defintely seem to be heading in the right direction. Though at least right now it's very repetitive (unless that is a tiled image).

Take a look at the images here (http://spiralgraphics.biz/packs/terrain_desert_barren/index.htm), they may give you some ideas/inspiration.

Thanks for the Genetica link, SG...it's fantastic!

Nice mod by Pasis too!

Map Vandal
03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Here is a quick modification of your texture. I just added another layer with different texture. Now it doesn't look that much tiled anymore and in case you want to have the original texture more visible then just lower the opacity of the other layer(s).

And if that is not enough then you can go one step further and use the masking technique jfrazierjr mentioned.

Thanks pasis. That looks awesome. It is exactly what I needed. Repped.