PDA

View Full Version : March Entry: An Ode to HandsomeRob

RobA
03-13-2009, 02:20 PM
How I adore your
atlas style, oh HansomeRob
A poor copy, mine.

Trying out HandsomeRob's Atlas (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1577) style.

Of course, not having Fractal Terrains, Illustrator, or Photoshop, I am working with Wilbur, Inkscape and Gimp.

So far I have....
...blown up the challenge map and hand painted a heightmap in Gimp, with aggressive burning of requred river channels...
...liberally applied fractal noise and percentage nose on top of a smoothed copy of that in Wilbur...
...aggressively eroded my heightfield in Wilbur with both incise, percip., and judicious noise and basin fills...
...set the lighting to monochrome and saved it out as a relief map...
...now in Inkscape, I have bitmap traced a blurred copy of the enlarges original's water, set fills and stokes, manual clean-up, brought in the relief map and drawn in the "mandatory" watercourses...

Still to do... .tons...

It's been a while since I've entered a challenge.... Kind of fun working under a deadline ;)

-Rob A>

Steel General
03-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Good to see you jumping in... :)

Torq
03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes, great to have you in a challenge again. I'm looking forward to see your tribute to HansomeRob's style. I think his stuff is awesome and a firm favourite of mine. I suspect there may be a few RobA touches too.

Torq

Ascension
03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Can't wait to see some color :)

joćo paulo
03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
This is looking very good Roba!

torstan
03-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Looks great so far, though I spot one stray unlabelled lake to the SE.

RobA
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Added some colour.

It is really hard to get the saturation/blending down...

-Rob A>

RobA
03-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Does anyone thing the river names are illegible at 2000x2000? I might have to up the export size from Inkscape...

(Only a handful on the W coast are named...I made WAY too many rivers...)

-Rob A>

Steel General
03-19-2009, 03:10 PM
I think they'd be OK if you changed the color to something a bit darker, but right now I can barely see let alone read them.

Torq
03-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Yes, they do seem a bit small to me. The map in general looks great.

Torq

RobA
03-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Upped the font to 9 point and got the blending better.

I'm never going to get all these rivers labeled.... thinking I need to move on to cities, roads, countries, etc or I will not finish!

-Rob A>

RobA
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Deleted some rivers so there would be less to name. Added cities, working on roads....might get this done before deadline...

-Rob A>

ravells
03-23-2009, 06:05 PM
It's beautiful Rob! Maybe just a tad of blur on the speckly landscape might work? Unless you're going for a speckly landscape! (which you probably are!)

HandsomeRob
03-25-2009, 09:12 AM
It's very odd, seeing that yet knowing I didn't make it myself.

If you want to make it even more uncanny you could switch the fonts - Myriad Pro for physical and hydrographical features and Minion Pro for political features.

-Rob

torstan
03-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Looking great so far - particularly that Lake in the SE :)

The roads seem a bit heavy with pure black - perhaps one them down a little? However they are nice and clear.

RobA
03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm going to call this complete.

I leveled up the roads so they weren't solid black, put a half px blur on the colouring to make it less dithered, bit of dodge and burn on the mountains, and added graticules.

### Latest WIP ###

Here is the alternate map, as required for the rules with a 10x10 grid overlay.

-Rob A>

Qbista
03-27-2009, 08:18 AM
That's just fantastic.
I like the color scheme of Your map - It looks so pretty, and so natural (rivers are perfectly setting in the rest of terrain). Great plus from me for playing with my favorite details - city's and connections beetween them.

I keep my fingers crossed for You.