PDA

View Full Version : Some islands

Ascension
03-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Since I have a new tool to play with (and am learning how to use it) I'm heading in a more artsy direction...finally. Here are some islands I came up with just to play around. I'll put some labels and grafix on it and call it done tomorrow...unless I decide to play with some trees.

indio
03-14-2009, 05:46 AM
*gawks*

Underpinning good artistry is skill, which you possess in abundance. Very nice.

Clercon
03-14-2009, 05:59 AM
I really like your more artsy style. What are the new tools you're playing around with?

NeonKnight
03-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Looking good. Love the rivers

Steel General
03-14-2009, 09:33 AM
You're 'playing around' usually ends up looking a whole lot better than my serious attempts. :)

@Clercon - I believe he unearthed/resurrected his tablet.

Ascension
03-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Yep, the tablet rocks; also I played around with gradients. Inspired by YodA's post ("gradient goodness"...I used one called wiki-1.03 with my own tweaks). I did my usual setup for a map but then did the whole thing with one of those gradients (after some tweaking of the grayscale clouds)...then some colors overlays and plopped on my usual hills and mountains then some dodge/burn for bump mapping. The rivers I did the same way...gray overlay layer, burn in some river valleys (pressure sensitive tablet really helps for thick and thin lines) then delete the medium gray from the layer then add a layer style of inner glow of the water color.

Thanks for the compliments y'all :) I often find that when I just start messin around, with no goal in mind, that I make something much nicer than the stuff I really try to do nice, kind of like some law of inverse proportionality...the harder I try the crappier it is :) Well, back to my secret lab to mess around with trees for a while...

ravells
03-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Those mountains really rock!

torstan
03-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Very nice indeed. Have you got a dissolve layer in there - there seems to be some individual pixel defects around the map?

pasis
03-15-2009, 09:17 AM
It looks great. It has kinda misty feeling like you would be looking from the skies and the air between makes the land slight foggy. Cant wait to get more details to this...you are adding more details right? Please?

Ascension
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm about ready to call this one done...unless anyone sees anything I need to fix.

MadLetter
03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Sweet, Sweet.

Very nice.

Might I ask what fonts you used?

Flaterectomy
03-15-2009, 08:02 PM
You should probably add a little tray to the side, so I can drool into that instead of onto the map. That is gorgeous.

The anchor symbol might use a tiny bit of anti alias, but that's all I can think of. Splendid work!

CartoGeo
03-15-2009, 08:02 PM
What image editing program did you use to create the map? I assume Photoshop and a graphics tablet that you mentioned using from a previous post. I like the map alot it has some interesting features.

NymTevlyn
03-15-2009, 08:12 PM
The text in the lower left hand corner is hard to read.

Ascension
03-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Artist's Script for the main title text and paragraph, Avalon for the primary labeling, and Elphinstone for the secondary labeling. That paragraph has been driving me nuts for about an hour now...can't find any results that I like. I'm probably trying to do too much with it and should just keep it as a low opacity white but I wanted it to look like it was glowing and magical.

MadLetter
03-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Maybe make it translucent and add a small black border more visible and a somewhat more translucent violet glow?

Ascension
03-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Here's the simplified version of the text.

BeZurKur
03-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I do prefer the simplified text because it is easier to read, but the map as a whole is incredible!

Jykke
03-16-2009, 02:15 AM
Great looking map. At first I had difficulties imagining what the end result would be like.. but this is a beautiful map (though more detailed textures would have made it even better).

Ascension
03-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Finally dropped my stubbornness and decided to drop style in favor of legibility. So I changed the Elphinstone font to Amerigo. This is why I hate labeling...it drives me bonkers. I believe that this is now good to go.

Steel General
03-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Fantastic work my friend - you have grown far beyond me in the use of the 'Phorce'.

You could try adding a low-opacity black 'box' behind the paragrap in the lower left to help make it more readable against the background. I did something similar on my challenge map last month and it made a huge difference without taking to much away from the rest of the map.

Gandwarf
03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Amazing Ascension, really. You never cease to amaze me :)
Also this is a pretty light map and I like the style better than your darker maps (I am certainly not saying they are bad, because they are great also!).