PDA

View Full Version : Developing a city quarter

Sigurd
03-16-2009, 01:09 AM
The original map is not mine, it was done by Pete Wyeth (Iddig) for his own use and an article in Phoenix Lore.

Map 1.

I'm trying to develop just a corner of the map from the zoom (map2) into something that looks believable.

WIP

Map3.

I want to replace the roadside towers with a proper gate house. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated at this point. (I know the bridge doesn't really fit. Its a Dundjinni element that might get replaced.)

Sigurd

Gandwarf
03-16-2009, 07:49 AM
I think you are very much on the right track. The water looks a bit too cloudy for my taste, but I think the bridge is fitting in. Normally I would recommend placing some more houses as there is quite some space left, but I see you copied the layout from the original map. Oh, is the wall made of stone or of wood? It looks a bit like wood right now...
Otherwise this is turning into a very nice map, really.

Steel General
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Looking good so far.

There is a whole 'castle wall' set somewhere on the dundjinni forums (Maybe by Blue Dragon?) that may work for your gatehouse. The bridge you usedseems to fit in with the rest just fine. Though I do agree with Gandwarf on the water.

NeonKnight
03-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Its good, I like it

jaspertjie
03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
I think you are very much on the right track. The water looks a bit too cloudy for my taste, but I think the bridge is fitting in. Normally I would recommend placing some more houses as there is quite some space left, but I see you copied the layout from the original map. Oh, is the wall made of stone or of wood? It looks a bit like wood right now...
Otherwise this is turning into a very nice map, really.

I like dark water, just look at a sattelite map and you'll see its dark.
P.S.: It's a VERY nice map, but I think the streets are a bit wide.

torstan
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
The colours are a little too saturated for my taste, but otherwise it's coming along very nicely indeed.

Iddig
03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
As the original Mapper, I can say that the walls and towers are all made of stone. As for the wide streets, well...the entire map was hand drawn and painted in watercolors, can only get so fine in detail.

Gandwarf
03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
As the original Mapper, I can say that the walls and towers are all made of stone. As for the wide streets, well...the entire map was hand drawn and painted in watercolors, can only get so fine in detail.

Thanks for your feedback Iddig. I think you created a beautiful map!

Iddig
03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your feedback Iddig. I think you created a beautiful map!Not a problem, and thanks. One of these days I might even move into trying my hand at digital maps. Though I do still have quite a few city maps in various stages of completion that I've scanned in.

Sigurd
03-28-2009, 04:21 AM
I took a shot at the whole city and found it very educational. Sometimes its really nice to step away from your own work and just concentrate on the mapping.

Still very rough.

This is 1/3 the working resolution.

Gandwarf
03-28-2009, 05:31 AM
This looks pretty. I especially like the colors of the land and water. The city walls also look good, but they seem a bit too thick.