PDA

View Full Version : Animus Prime

Historyhead
03-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Since finding this site I've been really inspired to work on some maps - very much becoming an addiction. I'm just amazed at all the fantastic maps and the different styles people use. Here is one I've been working on for a few days that I want to finish using the style I did with Terrathion. I just like the old style simple maps with minimal colour. I need some advice with this - I'm not sure if adding trees adds or detracts to the map at this scale. This map is a continent and subcontinent generated through fractal terrains that I've then traced over in CC3 with a few slight tweaks. The scale is supposed to be 8000miles by 5000miles. I'm not sure if the trees will come out clearly in the image or not.

Thanks

indio
03-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Impressive scope. I really like your spartan approach to decoration too...keeps it looking lean and epic.

Steel General
03-17-2009, 08:13 AM
I like it, normally I'm not a big fan of the "floati-ness", but it works well on this.

Any plans for color? Not that it needs it, just curious.

Historyhead
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Here is a larger map where you can hopefully see some of the details in the trees. I am going to be using colour with mercator style borders and cities and then add heraldry (I just love theses on maps) so there will be lots of colour but in muted tones. Just want to get the physical stuff done first.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jykke
03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
I like the general look of your map, but there are few things that might want to consider.

-The mountains do fit in quite well, but it somehow bothers a bit that they are drawn with much finer lines than the rest of the map. (try reducing the width of other lines and make them also a bit finer.. or make the mountains rough & thick also)

-The forests are represented by quite sparsely placed trees that follow quite the same density trough the whole map --> the actual forest area limits aren't that clear

What you might want to try is to place the trees closely enough to form a forest like in this post: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4718

Just some thoughts... :)

ravells
03-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Just goes to show, less is more! Great map. I really like the look and feel. Would have been tempted to have kept the trees monochrome though.

Valarian
03-17-2009, 07:20 PM
The mountain ranges are great.

Historyhead
03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Here is another version. I'm trying a different tree style and slightly enlarged the mountains. Still can't quite decide what I like best yet. Thanks for the feedback.

Steel General
03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
I like the new trees...

Jykke
03-19-2009, 02:30 AM
Looking good :)

Historyhead
03-19-2009, 11:46 PM
An update with finished trees and country labels. I'm not sure if I like the red outline and may change it to a white outline. Next steps are labels for physical features, city symbols and labels, and mercator style borders.

Steel General
03-20-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm not so sure the red works either, maybe try a more nuetral color or change it to white with a black outline/glow?

StillCypher
03-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm actually digging the red, but perhaps it needs to be a little less sharp? I think your map is coming along really nicely, and the only nit I have to pick is the uniform size of your mountains. I'd like to see a little variety -- a little *character* there. Keep up the good work!

Naeddyr
03-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I would use pure red for the text. Using dark green and bright red can give paper texture a nice old-timey look, because those were common printing inks, iirc.

Otherwise, awesome, awesome map. The land-masses look land-massey, the mountain and forest brushes are nice. Maybe tone down or stylise (dots or wavy lines or less blurring) the shadow at the coasts, though, for a more consistent printed look.

Historyhead
04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Update on my map. Work still in progress as I'm just trying to play around with different styles and effects. I'm trying to give a faded look on parchment in an old style map here. Everything is done with CC3.

Thanks,

Jason

Naeddyr
04-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Damn, that's nice. I wholeheartedly approve.

There's some kind of very very slight distortion going on in a row of pixels in the middle of the map, if you look at the mountains westernmost (small) island with mountains, it is possible to see that some of the pixels are shifted left and right (and this goes through the whole map). Smackdap in the middle, I'd say. Man, what a fluke discovery. One in fifty seven point two.

Historyhead
04-13-2009, 10:48 PM
An update. I`ve played around with adding more colour. I still have some more physical features names to add and I`m not sure that I like the mountain labels - have to work on that. More than anything I`m just enjoying playing around with what can be done with CC3.

Thanks,

Jason

Naeddyr
04-14-2009, 04:32 AM
Looking good there. The saturation seems ok, too, not too bright or dark.

Ramah
04-14-2009, 06:02 AM
Looks great. :)

If I have one criticism it's that I actually preferred the text on the previous image. I thought it looked almost like it had been inked straight onto a sheet of paper, with the slight blurred bleeding at the edges. I'm personally not a fan of text with glows or white strokes, I know it aids legibility but it just seems too digital, especially on a hand drawn map style.

Historyhead
09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Been away from posting for a while and have been working on a different style black and white map for this. Here it is without any labelling or settlements.

Steel General
09-12-2009, 09:35 AM
That looks quite nice, but either my eyes are playing tricks on me (entirely possible), or it seems a little blurry/fuzzy.

Rythal
09-13-2009, 03:31 PM
I like the trees on that one, reminds me of some of tolkiens stuff

to give some criticism, the trees seem a bit too dark in comparison to the mountains