PDA

View Full Version : Argent Islands

Ascension
03-17-2009, 12:08 AM
I wanted something subdued and subtle to soothe my savage soul. It had to be pleasant too look at, try a few new things, blah blah blah. Some new twists from the WIP thread and time to move on to new lands. I put a big rock in there because there's too many pieces of parchment proliferating for our perusal. I enjoyed making it and I hope you all enjoy it as well.

overlordchuck
03-17-2009, 01:35 AM
Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I really like the little streaks in the water.

/repped

Torq
03-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Beautiful island map Ascension. I'm also a huge fan of the streaking pattern in the ocean. Wonderful colour scheme choice too. My only crit would be that the writing on the ?stone tablet breaks the balance of the map's proporptions in that. Perhaps the main island should be a little more offset, up and right or the written portion made smaller. Just some suggestions for a great looking map.

Torq

Steel General
03-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Wunderbar! - the rock is a great idea as a text background. Though I agree with Torq that offsetting the islands a bit to move them away from the rock would improve a spectacular map.

Your skill in the Phorce continues to grow my friend. *bonk*

ravells
03-17-2009, 08:53 AM
The ocean pattern is beautiful!

Salama
03-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Map itself is absolutely beautiful. Great work! Rock is a good idea for background, but in this map I think a more subtle style would have worked better, maybe a plain ol' parchment. But the map... Just wow.

StillCypher
03-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Very pretty! I have to say I like the sea, too, and the color palette you chose is wonderful!

Nomadic
03-20-2009, 05:06 PM
That is an incredible map *rep bonk*. The color palette is perfect for it and the textures are just amazing, especially the sweeping strokes in the sea.

Ascension
03-21-2009, 01:34 AM
Those strokes in the sea were just some clouds that I ran a filter on (Eye Candy - Swirl, I think), then deleted the blacks and grays to leave the lightest grays and whites then put an outer glow of aqua on it and turned down the opacity and set the blend to overlay (I think, might be soft light).

Ben
12-12-2009, 12:24 AM
I love this map. The well placed peripherals complement the layout nicely and your impeccable use of color makes the map very easy to understand as well as making it aesthetically pleasing.

Ascension
12-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks, man. I had pretty much forgotten about the islands so it's nice to look at them again.

arsheesh
02-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I just found this piece while taking a peak at the finished maps thumbnails section. This is just a beautiful map! The sea looks amazing, and I love the border that you used to frame the map itself. Wish I'd have seen this before completing my own map, it might have influenced my own final boarder style. Applause! Repped.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Funso
02-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I would LOVE a tutorial on how you did the ocean for this map.

Not just the ripples/brush type strokes, but everything. The mist effect and the marbling effect that I can see are also excelent.

Ascension
02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Fairly simple. Start with a pattern, in this case a default PS pattern called Guache. Add a color overlay to that, steel blue, and set the blend of the color overlay to color. Make a new layer, fill it with clouds, run the Eye Candy filter Swirl, erase all but the lightest colors, add a color overlay to that of mint green with a blend mode of soft light, and add an outer glow of mint green.

boognish
02-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I really like what you did with the background on the ocean. It adds style without detracting from the map

torstan
03-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Love the stylised touches on the ocean. I'll have to give that a shot.

andydragon
03-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Very pretty map, well done.

AaronAugustus
06-13-2011, 05:35 AM
Fairly simple. Start with a pattern, in this case a default PS pattern called Guache. Add a color overlay to that, steel blue, and set the blend of the color overlay to color. Make a new layer, fill it with clouds, run the Eye Candy filter Swirl, erase all but the lightest colors, add a color overlay to that of mint green with a blend mode of soft light, and add an outer glow of mint green.

How would you do something like that in GIMP?