PDA

View Full Version : Regional Map Practice

Torq
03-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi All. A few people asked me to do a tut on the mountain technique I used in my March challenge entry. I intend to get a tut up very soon but decided to do a practice run first to make sure I know how I got there. As expected I cant seem to get the same look whenever I try to. It always turns out a little different. Anyway, this was the result. I would love feedback, especially on the effect of having the light land colours as shallow water, swamp or channels, outside the land border.

Torq

landorl
03-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Wow this looks incredible! I want the tutorial on this!

The only question that I have, is what are the bumpy areas on the highlands? Is it supposed to be trees or hills. If it is hills, it doesn't quite work with the rest of the map, and if it is woodlands, then you have to color them differently than the background.

landorl
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Also, I like the shallow water/swamplands.

Steel General
03-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Very nice Torq!

overlordchuck
03-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Damn! Nice freakin mountains.

Jykke
03-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I like the color tones on this map.. what I would like to know (:)) is what the small dotty bumps are representing (especially on the mountain areas) ?

Eilathen
03-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Damn, those are some fine mountains. Another top map, Torq!

Gandwarf
03-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Very cool Torq. They remind me a bit of the mountains Pasis is using in his maps, though they are indeed different. Like Jykke I would like to know what the small dots are.

If I stare long enough the mountains start to look like crumpled paper by the way. It doesn't bother me, so it's not a bad thing.

Torq
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
The only question that I have, is what are the bumpy areas on the highlands? Is it supposed to be trees or hills. If it is hills, it doesn't quite work with the rest of the map, and if it is woodlands, then you have to color them differently than the background.

I like the color tones on this map.. what I would like to know (:)) is what the small dotty bumps are representing (especially on the mountain areas) ?

The reason I would love to give you is that that is rough ground reflecting ragged lands. However the reason I should give is found in the underlying bump map that I use. I use Wilbur to generate a ridge perlin heightfield. In order to get the rivers looking right with lots of bends, rather than straight I add noise, following one of Waldonate's tutorials. I only select the basins to add the noise because applying the noise to the mountains gives them a grainy look that doesn't work too well. Its the noise added to the greyscale heightfield that causes the bumps. I like the look on the mountains themselves but dont really like it in the lowlands.

Torq

StillCypher
03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
This is looking spectacular all around! The 'small dotty bumps' might be a challenge, but WOW. I'm looking forward to the tutorial!

Jykke
03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
When I thought about the small bumbs, I realized there is an easy fix to get rid of them on the areas you don't want them. Just "render" two images, one with the bumbs (so the rivers get placed right) and one without any rivers & bumbs. Then use photoshop, align the two pictures, place on top the one without the bumbs, set opacity to ~50%, and use eraser on the areas where rivers etc are shown, to expose them from the layer underneath. This way you will have the rivers exactly where you want them, and you can decide wether you want any bumbs or not :)
EDIT: And afterwards, just set the top layer opacity back to 100%

Torq
03-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks Jykke. I will try it in Gimp.

Torq

Jykke
03-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks Jykke. I will try it in Gimp.

Torq

I hope it works, atleast in THEORY it should :) I've realized that in some cases you can't get all you want in one picture.. but you have to make a composite image.. and here it should work just perfectly :)

Ascension
03-20-2009, 04:20 PM
An easier fix is back in the Wilbur stages...when you select the flat spots and then fill them with percentage noise use the feather before the noise. This way tiny flat spots sort of get deselected. Plus there's always the blur as well.

Torq
03-20-2009, 04:45 PM
True, thats probably an easier fix. Thanks Ascension. Still, I dont think I want to get rid of all the bumps. I quite like the isolated ones on the mountains themselves.

Torq