PDA

View Full Version : I.C.E. Crypt Contest

Steel General
03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
OK, another slow day at work so I thought I'd get a start on this. Not sure exactly what the crypt is going to be for yet but I've got the basic layout, pretty much finished.

C&C is welcomed & encouraged.

Ascension
03-25-2009, 05:08 PM
That looks good...nice texture, good colors (esp the tan floor going well with the rock), good "temple" layout...nice stuff. Not sure about the bevel tho...at least not yet, will mull it over.

Steel General
03-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks...not so sure about the beveling myself. Probably need to rework that part, it's actually supposed to be underground/inside the rock.

nolgroth
03-26-2009, 03:51 AM
I like it. Bevel and all. :)

Steel General
03-26-2009, 07:06 AM
I think I'll do something to hide the 'outer' bevel in the layer with the crypt 'cut' out of it. After mulling it over I realized I did this kind of backward, but don't want to rework the whole thing.

Should be able to add some additional 'rock' then blur it to hide the beveling.

UPDATE: I've tweaked the rocky areas a bit to hide that bevel that was there I think it looks much better now. But I might have to re-think my whole tomb/crypt complex. After adding an appropriately sized sarcophagus it appears that many of the openings/hallways are just way to narrow.

Steel General
03-27-2009, 02:28 PM
OK, I've completely re-worked the crypt itself - a lot fewer rooms. Still not sure exactly what kind of crypt it will be, but I'm starting to 'dig' it now.

I have added a few features, some doors, a stairway and the sarcophagus.

As always C&C welcomed...

Korash
03-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I am assuming that the stairs lead down to the doors...

If that is the case, you should turn them around 180 deg. where they are so that the step shadows lead towards the door. Right now they look like they lead further down from the door.

Looking good so far

Steel General
03-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I am assuming that the stairs lead down to the doors...

If that is the case, you should turn them around 180 deg. where they are so that the step shadows lead towards the door. Right now they look like they lead further down from the door.

Looking good so far

Thanks...I have flipped those stairs around several times, and it still looks wrong, I think I'm going to just have to redo them completely.

Ascension
03-28-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm diggin it too. The stairs appear, to me, that you ascend the stairs to enter rather than descend into it. In any case what you need is an overall gradient - darker at the bottom, clear on top - in addition to the step shadows. If you're supposed to descend, then it all needs to be flipped around. Here's a screenie:

Steel General
03-28-2009, 05:43 PM
@Ascension - Spot on! That's what it needed - I'll make that change next time I work on it.

Not sure about the ascending/descending though - which way does everybody think works better?

Ascension
03-28-2009, 07:40 PM
If you're going to making it a descending staircase (ie down then in) you'll have to darken the floor as well. Since I really like the current floor I didn't want to mess it up :)

Korash
03-28-2009, 07:55 PM
@Ascension - Spot on! That's what it needed - I'll make that change next time I work on it.

Not sure about the ascending/descending though - which way does everybody think works better?

@ Ascension - Nice call!! I will have to remember that one.

@ SG - You don't see too many crypts being higher than the entrance, but it might be nice to see.... You would have to add the entrance way as well though.

Gamerprinter
03-28-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm sure you'd do it with another layer in GIMP, but in Xara, I place a rectangle shape of the entire staircase, apply a graduated transparency going from say 70% black to 0% total transparency. Place on top of your stairs with the black towards the bottom, this helps enhance the look of descending to the lower level. Since I also color my floors darker the lower things drop, I try to match the bottom of the stairs in black to the same darker shade in the lower floor.

I'm sure you could achieve a similar effect in GIMP.

Just ideas.

GP

Steel General
03-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks GP... I use PS but the same technique(s) should apply.

Still undecided about the direction but since it's only a few feet (not much more than 10) I don't think it'll matter.

DungeonMasterGaz
03-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Looks like a good start, although I prefered the original room layout.

A crypt is usually found beneath a church or chapel, so I think the stairs should descend into the crypt.

I'm assuming the sarcophagus is on a dias, and you're going to add some steps up to it? At the moment it looks like it's encased in rock.

Looking forward to seeing this completed.

Steel General
04-07-2009, 02:00 PM
OK, had a little bit of time today to work on this. First I finally decided who the tomb/crypt was going to be for - a high priest and/or champion of the God of revenge/vengeance in my homebrew.

There will be a heavy black and gold color scheme and a lot of raven/crow motif.

Added some raven statues, reworked the dais where the sarcophogas sits and a few other small changes.

As always C&C is encouraged (and appreciated).

@DMGaz - I also preferred the original layout, but it was just to much to realistically fit into the size of map I wanted so I wen for something a bit simpler.

Ascension
04-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Looks good, bro. You great temples and I can the style fitting dungeons as well, as evidenced here.

DungeonMasterGaz
04-08-2009, 05:01 AM
This is developing well. The dias looks great now, and I absolutely love the golden sarcophagus. It reminds me of the scene where Indiana Jones lifts the gleaming Ark of the Covenant out of it’s cask, and makes me imagine this crypt is filled with many more ancient treasures.

I lurked this forum for 6 months before I made any posts, so I’ve seen a lot of work from all you guys; SG, Ascension, NeonKnight, Gandwarf, Gamerprinter, Hoel, and all the rest (too many to list). You all produce such imaginative and professional work, and I’ve learned a lot by following your WIPs, but I wonder what qualifies me, the noob poster, to critique any of your work? I’d like to take part though, join in and help out where I can, so…

…I’m wondering about the east-west corridor south of the sarcophagus chamber, and why it’s slightly wider in the centre? I imagine that, unless there’s some purpose to the unusual shape (and, hey, it’s difficult to say when it’s a WIP) that the builders would make this crypt pretty much immaculate for their high priest/champion, or do you envision it as space for people to stand when the doors to the sarcophagus chamber are opened fully?

DMG

Steel General
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
@DMGaz - You are correct about the corridor, it widens so that there is space for the doors to open fully (or at least that's my story :D).

DevinNight
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Nice job, it's looking really nice.
-D

Steel General
04-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Well my time available to work on this keeps fluctuating based on how busy I am at work. Had a bit of time today to work on some more of the content on the different rooms.

Keep the C&C coming :)

DevinNight
04-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I love the gold emblems inlaid in the floor.
Is that an arch at the end of the stairs or just the illusion of an entrance?
If I could make one suggestion, fix the stairs in the upper right room so that they don't bleed into your emboss for the wall.

Looking real good.

Steel General
04-13-2009, 03:46 PM
@DevinNight - Thanks...Yup it's supposed to be an archway at the entrance, wanted to keep it fairly subtle though. I was a little worried that the medallions didn't look right, but it looks like they came out OK. I'll take another look at the stairs, probably just need a touch more of eraser.

Gandwarf
04-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Wow, totally missed this map so far. This is starting to look really nice, Steel General! I love the textures and the gold emblems. Is that a raven in the southern circle?

The only thing that's a bit confusing to me: these crypts are built in the mountain, right? Sometimes it looks like they are platforms on the mountain. But maybe that's just me. Otherwise very cool!

Have some rep for encouragement.

Steel General
04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
@Gandwarf - Thanks for the rep. I'm enjoying working on this one, hit a bot of a block at the moment regarding content - don't want to over do things but at the same time don't want it to sparse either.

Yes it is a raven - so are the small ones in the room with the sarcophagus. The whole crypt has the raven motif.

The crypt is built into the mountain/hill even though the steps lead up from the entrance.

Steel General
04-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Added some more content:

Treasure Room: Additional chests, a shield and helmet (couldn't find one with bird wings so I 'punted') :)
Shrine: Urns
Main Entrance/Hallway: Embossed ravens on floor
Might be one or 2 other minor changes/fixes. Getting close to calling it done.

ravells
04-15-2009, 03:30 PM
This is coming along really nicely, SG - interesting design, I like the use of the circles.

Steel General
04-17-2009, 10:37 AM
@Ravs - Thanks

OK here's what I'm thinking is the final update before I send it off to I.C.E.

Hopefully I didn't overdo it with the raven/crow motif. :)

As always C&C is welcomed.

Gandwarf
04-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Hopefully I didn't overdo it with the raven/crow motif. :)

Actually, I think you overdid it. Personally I would lose the 3 ravens/crows on the floor in the corridor up north. And the 2 ravens/crows on the floor of the first room.

The three ravens on the floor leading to the pedestal in the top right room are looking very nicely though.

Steel General
04-17-2009, 03:52 PM
@Gandwarf - I was kinda thinking along those same lines, but didn't want to second-guess myself.

Steel General
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
OK, I'm calling this one done. After mulling it over on the weekend I decided to go ahead and remove the embossed ravens on the floor in the entry way and the hallways, but leave them on the fllor in the shrine.

I'll be sending this off to I.C.E. in the next day or so.