PDA

View Full Version : Tanners' Row, Haffenburg

John Anderson
03-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Designed using Illustrator for an RPG campaign. I've done one district (Tanners' Row) of a sprawling city (Haffenburg) and will be slowly building up the picture of the city as we go.

This was my first crack at using illustrator to design a map, and it could certainly use some polishing.

John

Steel General
03-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Great start (though abit pixellated at full zoom)...will keep an eye on how you progress with this.

John Anderson
03-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the kind words, I think the pixelation is down to the rubbish images I used for the pins. I'll be trying to do my own versions. Overall, however, I 'm quite happy with the map and the sort of theme it conveys.
John

Ascension
03-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Illustrator, huh? Cool. I never knew a vector app could produce a nice hand-drawn line. Looks pretty well laid out as well, although it would have to pass the Hoel test :) So far so good.

John Anderson
03-29-2009, 07:55 AM
hoel test? I'm missing something methinks...

I'm a little bit more used to Illustrator and quite intimidated by photoshop, however it seemed ideal for the type of map I wanted to do. A hand drawn type of map that could be easily replicated as new districts are added. However I'd like to get more use out of photoshop as I want to create a colour map of the city.
John

Midgardsormr
03-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Have a new push-pin!

Hmmm... no support for svg? Ah well, it's in a zip, then, and a jpg so you can see what it looks like.

edit: @Ascension: Illustrator has a good variety of artist brushes that can be used to stroke a path. I used the same or a similar brush here:
http://www.bryanray.name/illustration/081108Geisha.jpg

Gandwarf
03-29-2009, 06:53 PM
hoel test? I'm missing something methinks...

Hoel is one of the local residents. He comments a lot on the layout of cities, especially regarding their defences. At the moment he isn't really active because he is moving, so you should be safe ;)

Nice map by the way!

John Anderson
03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Many thanks for all the kind words, and a huuuuge thanks to Gandwarf for the shiny new pin. It shall be incorporated into Haffenberg as soon as i get the chance (exams looming). As a quick question, where do I save the SVG file in Illustrator and Photoshop? I've been playing around with the excellent tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4405) from pasis using PS for city map and am having a ball (although I very much doubt it will do any good in my exam).
John

Gandwarf
03-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Many thanks for all the kind words, and a huuuuge thanks to Gandwarf for the shiny new pin. It shall be incorporated into Haffenberg as soon as i get the chance (exams looming).

Yeah... ehhh, about that. The pin was made by Midgardsormr. I think you looked at the wrong post :)

John Anderson
03-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Aaargh! Sorry about that. My thanks to midgardsormr. Sigh.
John

Midgardsormr
03-30-2009, 10:46 PM
<Grin> No problem.

The best way to get an svg or eps into your Illustrator file is to use Illustrator's Open dialogue, copy the objects, and paste them into your target document. From there, you can manipulate them like any other vector object.

I chose svg rather than the Illustrator format for wider compatibility, just in case an Inkscape user wanted to grab it. I'm not sure if the blur effect will work in Inkscape, though.

industrygothica
03-31-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm diggin' the map, it's got a neat feel to it. Although since it's not completed, you might want to get Ascension to flex his new CL muscles and toss it over to a WIP forum.

I do like the map though... I'm gonna have to learn Illustrator one of these days.

-IG

Feralspirit
04-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Very Nice work. Nice hand-drawn feel, and I like the black and white. But...

Crits; The buildings on the edges do not match the mid-map buildings (which are more subdued). I'm not sure if this was your intention, and if it was, I'm not sure what it means.

I must agree with Industrygothica, I think this should be in WIP thread. As you say it's part of a larger city, and you do want your city to districts to match, the piece isn't quite a stand-alone map, and may well change as you produce new districts (you may discover new style and decide you like it more, subsequently the style of this map will change to suit).

All said, I still think it's good work, and look forward to seeing more. :)

John Anderson
04-02-2009, 04:45 PM
The opaque filter over Tanners' Row is how I'm distinguishing each district from those surrounding it. Yeah, not sure if it works. I also agree with industrygothica, and if an admin-type-person could move Tanners' Row over to WIP, that would be grand.
John
p.s. Look out for Haffenberg (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=56981#post56981).

John

RobA
04-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Moved, by your command!

-Rob A>

John Anderson
04-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks. :)

And there seems to be room left in the post for a quick mention of Haffenberg (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5011).

And, yes I know I've spelt them differently. I'm rubbish.

John