PDA

View Full Version : The great arena of Greyhawk city

simonutp
03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I plan to make a large battlemap of the Free city of Greyhawk arena.

My base is a drawing from a PAIZO adventure called The Champion's Belt.

The base area is ther only for the location of the incomming roads, the towers and so on...
My concern is the layout of the acces and the "rich" seats.

Do you have any tips to continue my first try?

torstan
03-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Looking good. The drop shadows are a little off though. I assume the highest point is the outer edge of the stands, therefore this should cast the strongest drop shadow. As it is, your heaviest shadow is being cast from the wall between the lowest seats and the arena floor.

Equally with the towers, if you can have them cast a large drop shadow outside the edge of the stands and a small one inside the stands then it will help guide the viewer to understand your different heights.

Steel General
03-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Ditto what Torstan said.

NeonKnight
03-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Looks food so far. No need to further echo the previous comments.

ravells
03-28-2009, 07:47 AM
I really love the first image, it has a great handdrawn look to it. Can you tell us a little bit more about how you created it?

Ascension
03-28-2009, 09:45 AM
All I can really think of is add some aisles running radially out from the center and then add some sort of viewing podium a la the Roman ceasars. The wealthy will sit near the ceasar guy no matter what then. Might want to add in some tiny steps along the aisles and maybe some tunnel cuts for going to the "concession stands" or restrooms beneath the stands. I've always wanted to do a stadium so I'll be watching how you come along on this.

torstan
03-28-2009, 04:12 PM
@Ravells: I think the first image is actually a Paizo map, not a simonutp map.

Joshua_101
03-29-2009, 01:31 AM
In my opinion the greatest real 'arena' of all time was the great Roman Colosseum. It was (and still is) an engineering and architectural marvel. I watched a recent Discovery Channel documentary about the Colosseum and was totally blown away.

You might find some resources here: http://www.the-colosseum.net/idx-en.htm

ravells
03-29-2009, 04:48 PM
@Ravells: I think the first image is actually a Paizo map, not a simonutp map.

lol, serves me right for not reading properly!

simonutp
03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Here is the latest WIP :
- added the exterior stairs for "common people"
- exterior shadows as suggested by Torstan
- new sand, needs to be worked a lot...
- textrures are sharper, I am not satisfied with the edges : it is too sharp.

Any suggestions for the nobles seats?

torstan
03-30-2009, 12:10 PM
That helps a lot. I'd still reduce the shadow from the stands on to the sand a little. Also, an overall gradient from light to dark on the stands would be helpful, with light at the top and dark at the bottom.

For the nobles I'd suggest some sort of coloured awning - they will certainly want to be sheltered from the sun. For merchants and other good seats I'd suggest cushion. The plebs can sit on rock. That should help to delineate different economic categories.

Ascension
03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
I second the awning and cushions. I'd also set up some sort of colored bunting to act like a velvet rope and if you can make their area sort of elevated. Last thing is, what is the material it is constructed from? It looks sort of like fresh concrete so I'd lighten it up. Really cool though so keep up the good work.