PDA

View Full Version : Just Killin Time

Ascension
03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
A lil something I've been doing just to kill time until the next challenge comes out while I try to find motivation to finish a couple of my more labor intensive recent stuff. No real goal other than to do anything other than just watch tv and clean my house. I had planned for it to be some sort of Dwarf Lands thing so I made many mountains.

torstan
03-30-2009, 09:13 PM
I love the little symbols - and the colour schemes a good one too. Very nice!

Nerdling
03-31-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm a big fan of the color, but the mountains don't look very...mountainous...they seem to lack elevation. I just fixed this problem in one of my own maps, lol.

hunab.cu
03-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Great as everything by Ascension ;)

I agree with Nerdling, mountains don't really seem to be high... rather like small snowy bumps.

John Anderson
03-31-2009, 08:08 AM
Really love the map, although the regions do seem to be a bit unclear. The colours tend to blur into the mountains, especially the purple and the green boundaries.

I really like the texture of the mountains and the oceans. Was this done with the cloud layer effect? (I'm still getting to grips with PS's helluva learning curve).

John

Ascension
03-31-2009, 05:54 PM
I think I finally see what you're saying about the mountain height. I'll get crackin on that tonight so that I don't have to do any more labeling for a while.

Steel General
03-31-2009, 08:29 PM
I think I finally see what you're saying about the mountain height. I'll get crackin on that tonight so that I don't have to do any more labeling for a while.

Label-hater!! :D

Ascension
03-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Ok, here's something better...I think. I thought the mountains were too black and white and although I am going for something less colorful and more towards the gray side, it was too much. I added some brown in and a big ole emboss and I think it looks mucho bettero. The second shows redone country borders which, I think, show much better; as well as the labels and roads so far. The font is Washington Text at 3, 3.5, and 4 points with 75 tracking. I've got some labels overlapping, will fix asap.

Ascension
04-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Labeling mostly done...got all the cities and sites n stuff using Water's Gothic. Will label mountains and rivers and such tomorrow in a different, more basic font since the general mood has been established. May redo the Washington Text with Water's but not sure. Names all come from my head in a simple, evocative manner. For example, for the red country I just thought of "things that are red" like blood, hell, skin rash, etc. Those kinds of words carry a great deal of baggage so any back story of the place is inferred without having to write some lengthy history. Laceration Castle infers all sorts of gruesome tortures for those wicked enough to imagine them. Fun to name things this way.

Ramah
04-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Not sure whether "Vomit" or "Ironarse" is my favourite. :)

Steel General
04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm kinda partial to 'Burpsong' & 'Cuttlestink' myself...

Ascension
04-01-2009, 09:23 PM
If you'd like to do up either go for it. Burpsong is a grungy little fishing village on the edge of a desert and Cuttlestink is a debauched pirate like town. Names like those just have to be used somehow...make up a story if ya want. Amber is the big city for the region, with an orange color the magic is fire and the inhabitants are rowdy and mean but not necessarily evil. Likewise, Ironarse is something of a large town/small city on a river in a valley mostly for mining and since it's in a black country the magic is necro and the inhabitants are evil. Vomit is another grungy small town/large village. Being a green country the magic is nature and neutral but the inhabitants are quite infatuated with being gross and with reptiles (the southern part is mostly swamp).

Ascension
04-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Just about done. Finished the labeling as much as I want done...starting to overwhelm the terrain. Tweaks and things I overlooked are all that remain.

Korba
04-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Thats stunning!

I would rep for it but i'm still deep in rep debt for your tutorials Ascension :)

Korba

Steel General
04-02-2009, 08:07 AM
What does the white dotted line around the island represent?

Korba
04-02-2009, 08:18 AM
They go from anchor to anchor so my bet is ferry routes. Its a really neat idea though *makes a note*.

Korba

Steel General
04-02-2009, 08:20 AM
They go from anchor to anchor so my bet is ferry routes. Its a really neat idea though *makes a note*.

Korba

Missed that completely, that's what I get for looking at this stuff first thing in the morning :)

pasis
04-02-2009, 01:16 PM
This sure looks great and it has a individual Ascension color scheme / style in it. In my opinion it has a small problem with the rivers running from valleys to higher areas in few places, but not a big problem.
Repped...

pasis
04-02-2009, 01:17 PM
sorry, couldn't rep...I need to spread around first.

John Anderson
04-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Simply gorgeous! I can only aspire to producing maps like that.
John

Steel General
04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Simply gorgeous! I can only aspire to producing maps like that.
John

Don't sell yourself short, just keep working at it. Once you find yourself a 'style' your comfortable with, you'll be producing maps to be proud of.

altasilvapuer
04-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Ha, I think my favourites are "Contusion," "Chickenscratch," and "Shank."

Very creative!

-asp

Greason Wolfe
04-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Nice. Very nice. The elevations are subtle at first, but once fully loaded, they stand out just enough to be identified without dominating things too much. My only "complaint" isn't really a complaint at all, and more a curiosity. As you stated, the labeling was starting to take over the map. What if you cut back some of the labeling for the smaller settlements and then continued with the "raised" appearance you used for the scale/compass/map name? Or would that be too much?

Overall, though, definite thumbs up from me. Good job as usual.

GW

Ascension
04-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Have definitely been thinking of doing the cities in a fashion similar to the capital city and main graphics...a quasi 3d with the light in the lower right. Sort of like brass and copper counters placed on a sheet map that generals might use for troop movements. I didn't want to go overboard so I kept em simple for now.