PDA

View Full Version : Abebe

guyanonymous
04-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Abebe is my world in progress.

I thought I'd create a thread about it specifically (though it has been featured in my other threads).

I'm experimenting with a google-map style method of sharing my work. Until this morning it's worked perfectly - but if it just gives you a grey screen, just refresh until it works. See if you can get a beat going, as it makes the activity more fun :D I think it may be a bandwidth issue -it lets one person at a time look at the maps on the site total- so usually won't be a problem.

Anyway, here is my current version of "Abebe".

http://www.davidpiercey.com/maps/abebe/

guyanonymous
04-01-2009, 03:28 PM
And the first thing I notice ... a pair of river's I forgot to fix! (Though to the fabled river police, I'm sure there are many many many more.)

Naeddyr
04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Nice, though I guess it's mainly generated? The rivers look kinda binary in places, and of course using a fractal terrain generator gives you mountains placed smackdab, but good start, all in all.

guyanonymous
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
It is generated, with a few adjustments...I doubt I'll be changing that at this point, though, as it fits with my world mythos.

...which I'll have to dig up and share...and welcome any logical/consistency/realm of possibility suggestions :D

guyanonymous
04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Circumference – 42049.624km

Notes:

• Mining Distribution (relative to Earth):
o Metal +120%
o Radioactive +217%
o Precious +164%
o Crystal +135%
o Gems +240%

• Populations have developed with high mutation resistance as a whole.
• Genetically, a recessive gene interacts with biological/chemical/genetic triggers causing evolutionary jumps
o 1/10000 have a potential interaction based on random population distribution
o Evolutionary jumps may be almost anything
o Evolutionary jumps can vanish in the next generation depending on parental genetics etc – in fact, they are likely to vanish due to the recessive nature of the gene
o This gene interacts, potentially, with every other gene in the body
o Differences are typically manifested from conception forward as opposed to some spontaneous change; exceptions to this are those changes that occur due to hormonal changes in the body (i.e., puberty, menopause)
• Mating of carriers, particularly those with related evolutionary changes, can produce offspring who demonstrate those evolutionary jumps in even more pronounced ways

History:
o Lived in small groups dominated by the strongest, who took what they want, leaving less and less for those lower down the line; in one community one man challenged for dominance, but upon winning, didn't keep everything, but shared out equal amounts to all in the community, fighting off first one, then another challenger, though with more of the community supporting him one by one. The value of community, equality, etc became dominant.
o One wise woman, seeing the start of a new era, made a mark of the first day...and she and her descendents continued to make marks each day....
o Spread across the NE corner of main continent over next 4000 years
o Onset of new era with people living longer, working together, being safe

• 50-250
o Art began to develop around the calendar, long strips covering years and years, as weather, the phases of the moon(s?), sun, and close planets are added.

o Recognizes patterns of seasons over last 200 years

o First form of alphabet to record sounds created, up until now, symbols used for calendars, but not for recording spoken word, etc
o

• 4023 (recorded history)
o live in small communities of a few hundred each
o NE corner of main continent
o essentially an isolation
 mountains to the east
 have not made move to waterways or oceans for transportation or food
 non-aggressive wildlife trapped with them at this stage
o total population is ~300 000
o till now, evolutionary jumps in population have either died in childbirth or gone unnoticed due to minimal nature
o nature of population as a whole is oriented toward community and mutual support, violence between communities is very rare – partly because of distances involved, and partly because of homogeneity of population
o economic focus
 agricultural
 arts
 education
 trade between nearby communities
o population well versed in basic breeding of animals and plants to develop certain genetic lines, though they don't understand the reason for it
o they also understand the need for healthy "breeding" in that if they mix different populations of animals (in the same "line") the offspring are usually healthier than their parent groups
 they don't associate this fact consciously with people, though it does affect their society
o different communities gather for festivals
 focussed on diversifying genetic stock and trade of specific lines of domesticated flora and fauna
 also focussed on youth meeting new people from outside their communities to form family units, typically the male will move to the new community, though this is not always the case; it depends on the relationships formed and who is involved
• this is one way in which the communities sub-consciously maintain healthy genetic diversity within small relatively isolated communities

guyanonymous
04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
• Average lifespan at this time 45 years for women and 43 for men
• Community structure
o Government?
 Not specifically elected, elders, who consult with members of the community, present their suggestions in community forums, and adult members of the community find concensus.
 Those who cannot live with choices made (very rare) are free to leave the community if they choose, and are welcome back openly if they find they change their mind
 Men and women, alike, are members of government
o Writing
 A form of writing, based on 52 sounds of the common language, has been developed.
o Calendar
 From simple marks on "calendar" rocks, to the presently complex system of understanding the constellations etc, the people have recorded their history for 4023 years at this stage
o Family unit?
 Not just 1 man+1 woman (typically involve, though, 2-6 adults with some degree of shared physical or emotional intimacy)
 Each woman who chooses to have children, will have between 4 and 8 children in a lifetime
 Chance of mother dying during or after childbirth, 15%.
 Chance of child dying during or immediately after childbirth, 25% (3 to 6 children / woman's life)
 Of those children who survive childbirth, 85% survive the first year (2.6 to 5.1 children / woman's life)
 Children who survive past their first year, have a 90% change of reaching adulthood (2.3 to 4.6 children/ woman's life)
 Each woman, thus, produces 3.45 children who live through adulthood, on average, resulting in a slow but definite population increase.
 Women are marriageable from the onset of their fertility cycle (16 +/- 2 yrs)
o Homosexuality
 not common (5.8% of population)
 not specifically taboo
 accepted as physical intimacy for physical pleasure and for emotional bonding
 Those individuals not wishing to have offspring are required, by the community, to contribute in some other way (?), but this is not seen as a hardship, merely a different way to contribute
o Physical deformities
 Very rare (more common in the more remote communities)
 Almost always die in childbirth or shortly after
 Considered to be cursed (typically because they almost always die very young)
o Mental challenges
 Very rare (more common in the more remote communities)
 Treated with great care and affection
 Ways they can contribute to community in a positive way are sought after
 Not coddled, but protected, and treated with their mental challenge under consideration
 Loved
 Not viewed as cursed, but as special, able to understand, perhaps, parts of the world we cannot
 Not seen as a burden on a community
o Economy
 Markets based on barter economy
 Trade between communities at regular seasonal gatherings
 No formal currency
o Education / Religion
 Belief in the power of the moons, the planets, the sun, and the stars
• More the belief that these extra-physical (to the population) objects affect the seasons etc. Than in some deity.
 Belief in natures ability to change
• Seen in domesticated animals
o Knowledge used to help develop new strains/breeds
• Not seen yet in people (outside of what would be human norm for diversity in an isolated region)
• They speak of a mother planet giving birth and fruit to all life
• They view the moon as a sister planet
• They view the stars and their sun as male figures, sharing the seeds of life with the mother figures
• Nature is powerful
 People are different/separate from animal life and flora
• They don't spontaneously change/show big differences in their offspring as animals do
• They can speak aloud and have language
• While consciously, they don't breed people for health etc, the society does this through their festivals and movement of individuals to new communities.
• Semi-formal education
o Toddlers
 Spend most of time with family (at and around home, community)
o 3-6
 Spend time with family
 Spend time with elders
 Spend time in social groups exploring inside community
 Watched by community as a whole and kept safe near home
o 6-10
 Spend time with family
 Spend time with elders
 Spend time working with different "experts" in community
• Develop basic range of skills and knowledge so that they may make a more effective choice about what they will "do"
• Both share and gather knowledge from those outside family unit
o 10-12
 Some "bordering" is often arranged with related family units in other communities
 Continuing 6-10 education which is more and more hands on and adult-like in nature
o 12+
 Join adults in study and work in areas of speciality (if any)

 Learning more, sharing history, knowledge, etc, is lifeline pursuit
o Social welfare
 Barring the mentally infirm (rare), people are expected to pull their weight etc. And while life isn't easy, it's not challenged by strife or dangerous animals or the need to hunt. The cultivation of crops etc can feed the population, even in a poor harvest year
 Those who elect not to work after childhood, don't eat.

guyanonymous
04-01-2009, 03:53 PM
• LANGUAGE
o ~60 phonetic sounds used to express oral language
o ~12 inflections added to modify message (clarify punctuation)
 Statement
 Exclamation
 Question
 Not (negation of statement)
 etc
o writing
 initially a few hundred symbol for words and ideas, hieroglyphs
 as the "calendar" method of research/experimentation/documentation became more recognized, one individual began to examine the sounds that made up their language and over his/her life identified 60 sounds, making spelling of words completely phonetic.
 The next generation in that family continued the study, defining a further 60 symbols to represent the oral inflections, number system (base 12) and time
 3 more generations tested and refined the system before the community brought it to the next community fairs to present and share
 Over the next 400 years, the characters and symbols were adopted by every community, and remained the only non hieroglyphic writing amongst the people

guyanonymous
04-01-2009, 03:54 PM
• Pre 0
o Oral traditions roughly associated with time
o Basic farming and domestication of animals begun
o Pottery
o Beginning of recorded history/time – marks on rocks to mark the passing of years
o Basic understanding of seasons
• Wheel/axel
• Paper
• Saddle
• Glass

o

o In one small community, a child is born who's skin glows slightly in the dark. There is a fight within the community, with some feeling she is the incarnation of the mother moon, and brings good fortune, while others decrying her mutation as a curse. A fight ensues, and the child is murdered, the community destroyed, with the few survivors (including her parents) fleeing.
o In another small community, quite distant, another child is born who's skin, at the onset of puberty, changes to a brilliant orange. As the community knows this child, he is not shunned, but a matter of curiosity, much as a mutation in some strain of plant or breed of animal may. This difference, doesn't stop this child from forming a relationship within his community (though he is shunned outside it), and his offspring do not show any sign of his change. This community, though, moves along a new path, but becomes more separated from the nearby communities based on beliefs....

o Three separate belief structures and societies begin to develop

 Study of nature, science, etc, and belief that those people who mutate are merely different
• attempts to "breed" aren't too successful on the surface (but relationship is suspected)
• begin to view people as a mere extension of humans

 Belief that mutations in people are a curse/disease/horrible, and that these children should be struck down at birth
• People, as they are "now" are perfect. They've never changed and never should.
• Belief that one male and one female god existed and that people are their offspring, from thousands of generations before.
• These gods are long gone, and it is our job to maintain their presence as it is seen today.

 Belief that those who show noticeable mutations are to be worshiped and held above normal men (this includes both "positive" and "negative" mutations)
• Relationship of humans to nature not accepted – must be divinity, etc.

DAY's / year

• 12 months
• 43 days/month
• 6 weeks/month + 1 Month End day
• 7 days / week
• every 3 years, the end of their is a 2 day special celebration around at the beginning of a new "cycle" which realigns calendar with solar year
• cycles -> similar to chinese years (but every 3 years)
• each day is made up of 12 hours, with 12 minutes, 12 seconds, 12 .... Needing names though

guyanonymous
04-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Base 12 system
Count:
• 0 both hands together in fists
• 1 one closed fist held forward
• 2 one fist held 1 finger out
• 6 one hand, all fingers splayed
• 7 one hand one fist
• 8 one hadn one fist one finger
• 12 two hands

Steel General
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
hmmm...for some reason I don't see your map when I click on the link in your first post. Are you using some special viewer or something?

Ramah
04-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I can't see it either, even after refreshing. Does it work with Firefox?

Eilathen
04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Same problem here. The browser shows nothing.

Ascension
04-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Worked for me on the second try (Firefox).

guyanonymous
04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Until this morning the other two trials I put up worked perfectly.

Ramah
04-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Ah, worked for me today too. I really like the colours of the land. :)

Steel General
04-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Works in IE7 but not the latest version of Firefox (firefox appears to generate a javascript error - probably something to do with the Google Earth viewer).

Nice start, looking forward to seeing it development.

Nerdling
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Definitely cut down the saturation on the oceans, and the mountains could be a tad darker as well, it's all a little overwhelming to the eye.

Otherwise, I love it.

guyanonymous
04-02-2009, 07:18 PM
I was questioning the oceans saturation levels. When viewed up close, I like them. From a distance, they really stand out. It's times like these I wish I still had my old Sony CRT - the colours were much more reliable (IMHO). I find, especially with the oceans, in this case, that where my head is relative to my screen, affects how the colour appears.

And thanks!

Karro
04-03-2009, 04:45 PM
So, the regions with unnaturally straight and virtually parallel-running rivers: that's a mistake that you can no longer correct, am I reading that right?

Other than that, this thing is huge, and pretty awe-inspiring. Good job.

guyanonymous
04-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I'm questioning myself about those....and trying to decide what to do...will there be a geographic explanation? Will there be a historical explanation? Will I go to the effort of fixing things? Such are the perils of fractal map generation. :D

guyanonymous
04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Well, I've stopped questioning myself or trying to redeem my previously shared map - which has now gone the way of the dodo. The river and mountain issues were too much to correct.

But wait...what is this? Another map has been discovered, this one much more, um true to Abebe, than the former pretender.

I've got the range of climates, land forms, etc, that I want, and am pleased with placement. And the rivers work out, for me anyway, in a satisfactory way. AND I can still fix the rivers if I need to, though with my map's art style, I'm comfortable with the ambiguity that sometimes exists in a few instances.

I've placed cities around the map now, and am setting up numbers (wow - I placed a lot of cities!) so that I can work on a naming/history project next. The cities are the little red dots (you have to really zoom in), and the only numbered cities, so far, are the extreme West of the map.

So far, everything is repeatable, at a whole-map level, if I want to create a new map in this exact style. The cities are the first "custom" item, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh - I am...there's a brown blob in the SW that I created on a hue layer in PS for a specific climate zone.

Anyway....

www.davidpiercey.com/maps/abebe

guyanonymous
05-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Ok, I'm got 1700+ of the cities numbered now. Ouch...hadn't realized how big of a challenge I was setting myself in creating this world.

Once done, I'll start naming them (and taking suggestions for name)...the numbering will let me easily find them which will allow me to easily change the name of the map. Still, all is non-destructive, which is nice too.

www.davidpiercey.com/maps/abebe

Ascension
05-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Whoa, that's a lot of names to come up with, dang! I really like the looks of it, appears to be some artsy filter applied to a FT exported image. At first glance I thought, "oh an FT map" and then as I zoomed in it got cool and I thought "hey, neat". Good stuff, man.

guyanonymous
05-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks.

It was made following my brief "Nothing but Layers" way of creating something non-destructive and repeatable using FTPro output as the starting point.

As I'm numbering each, zoomed in, I'm able to consider and come up with brief ideas of why a city is located where it is and small things about it....

Gandwarf
05-03-2009, 04:58 AM
1700 names?
LOL

You got yourself into a good deal of work it seems :D

guyanonymous
05-23-2009, 08:46 PM
The numbering for the names is now in place. (2600+)

Now to start the next part.

Identifying a name and some brief details about each.

I've had a blast zooming in and thinking about how different cities may have started, what they rely upon, their relationship to neighbors etc.

If any of you see a location you'd like to offer up some suggestions for, let me know.

Two have names already and I'm thinking about their background and how it fits into my world's history.

Oasis is a fresh water lake in the middle of a huge baren wasteland - all that remains of a vast inland lake/sea.

Federation is the core of the one part of Abebe that survived a great disaster in which most others were killed. It's in the large "crater" on the Southern part of the Western-most continent. It represents the central government of a federation of cities in that crater who want little/nothing to do with the outside world.

OK...back to playing.

guyanonymous
05-23-2009, 08:46 PM
the link for your convenience...

http://www.davidpiercey.com/maps/abebe/

hlmtwin
05-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks.

It was made following my brief "Nothing but Layers" way of creating something non-destructive and repeatable using FTPro output as the starting point.

As I'm numbering each, zoomed in, I'm able to consider and come up with brief ideas of why a city is located where it is and small things about it....
I'm new... so I have a question. What does non-destructive mean?

guyanonymous
05-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Hmm..maybe I made up that term.., but it made sense to me.

Essentially, I mean that

1) You can start with base image (or series of images) for the map; In this case I use a collection of outputs from Fractal Terrains (water only, land only, heightmap, etc.)

2) Putting the different images on their own layers to start.

3) Modify the layer opacity, layer style, add filters, etc. on clones of your starting map image(s); each of these goes on it's own layer.

4) The whole process has not required you to paint, draw, or modify selected portions of images.

5) And yes, once defined, the process could almost completely be automated.

6) You could output a completely different map, using the same output choices in your mapping software.

7) You would achieve the same "style" of result on that map as the first. (Predictably repeatable)

I've really bitten off more than I can chew on this map, but I have the idea that I'll eventually setup a website that allows writers, artists, cartographers, etc, all create anything in the universe they want in their form of art, to fit into a greater universe. People can create anything from the largest galaxy to the tiniest atom and give it a place in that greater universe.

The catch - others can use their creations in anyway they want (so long as it is consistent with the universe)...anyway, I babble.

For me I started to envision building, essentially, an atlas for this planet Abebe. It then made sense for me to figure out how to a style that I liked in a repeatable way so that all the maps in the atlas would go together.

Phewph....shouldn't have hit the pub on the way home from work.

guyanonymous
05-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Here's the area I'm starting to name now.

The mountain range is the border of the "Federation". The cities of the Federation each specialize in a different area of research -> artisans of the Federation tend to congregate there in efforts to "perfect" that area.

For example, astronomers all congregate in one particular city, working together (and at odds) to perfect their science/art.

I'm sharing this part of the map in case any of you have suggestions for either city names, or specific cities which, because of geography, lend themselves better to certain areas of specialty.

There are annual/biannual celebrations in the kingdom where cities share their research with other cities for mutual growth.

Any help or feedback is appreciated.

Gandwarf
05-30-2009, 03:27 PM
See the other thread for some suggestions for your cities. You know which one I mean.

By the way, I really like your style. I am glad I just gave you some rep :) The thumbnail isn't that impressive, but when I zoomed in it started to look really good. Nice job.

Can I book with you if I want to go to the city of pleasure, by the way? Sounds like a fun place to be... or maybe not.

guyanonymous
05-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Ha...I'm thinking a city based on entertainment and relaxation - for kids and adults...vegas in the 1300's sorta thing.

Gandwarf
05-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Well, if they have been studying pleasure for centuries, it must be a great place :D
Still, one man's pleasure, is another man's pain... there could be a very dark side to that city.

Hmm, the City of Pain?

guyanonymous
05-30-2009, 04:46 PM
interesting idea...(and thanks for the suggestions)...

I was trying to think of a name for a city devoted to the "dark arts"...torture/interrogation/murder/assassination/etc.

A City of hmm...State Security? Darkness?

Gandwarf
05-30-2009, 05:29 PM
City of Evil :D
City of Dark Guilds...

Hmm, this is a tough one.

guyanonymous
05-30-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm not happy with City of fish...I want something that sounds right while implying, well, water-based life form umm...farming/fishing/eating.

Steel General
05-30-2009, 05:31 PM
City of Anguish?

Gandwarf
05-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Haha, I hope Steel General wasn't thinking of a different name for the City of Fish :D
Maybe City of the Seas or City of the Lakes. Or just City of Water.

Anyway, City of Anguish sounds cool.

Steel General
05-30-2009, 05:39 PM
:) No, I was intending that for the dark-themed city.

As for fish... City of Aquatics or City of Hydrography?

guyanonymous
05-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Hydrography - I like that! Thank you!

City of Anguish...hmm....getting closer. The name should sound, well like a ministry in a dictatorial/oppressor's government - innocuous/ironic/positive, though everyone knows what really goes on there...

Some more tentative history of Abebe...

The Federation is the area where the majority of humanity survived after "the disaster".

What remained there was, essentially, survival of hunter/gatherer/fighter marauding gangs. Each was a distinct hierarchy of the toughest took what he wanted and left the rest for the next toughest and so-on. It was a culture of strength and fear. At one point on the location of Federation itself, one gang set upon a gathering of weakling families who had lived in fear and hiding...not helping each other, but not attacking each other either. As the slaughter began, a stranger appeared and killed the toughest of the raider, and several more who challenged him. As the other raiders fled, the families prepared for the worst. The stranger, though, instead of taking his fill of supplies/equipment/lives, gathered everything and everyone together....not to gloat, but to share out what was there. He himself taking an equal share.

(this is the starting point for their future culture of sharing, working together, supporting all)

An old lady/child/someone to be determined takes a pebble and puts it in her empty purse. And she does so every day for a year...tracking how long the new life lasts...one of cooperation instead of , etc...etc..etc...

(this is where their awareness of time and change begins, leading to their need to write -> development of writing -> tracking/documenting all to see how changes affect area of study -> specialization of cities...growth...)

Flash forward a few thousand years. Mutations in the population create a schism in the Federation. Some who believe it's natural, and some who think it's an abomination. The 2nd group wins the FEderation territories after a while.

This City of Anguish/death/security was started then - cue Emperor Palpatine's subversion of Star Wars world-like history - people like it in the beginning (xenophobic underpinnings) - and it turns on them in the end....forcing 40% of the population (after the civil war) is forced out of the mountains into the outside.

Flash forward another few thousand years. Federation is an isolated island. The rest of Abebe is growing in population. Federation forbids all contact with outsiders, vigorously defending their "pure" borders. By now, the city of ____ is the state police/inquisitors/etc all rolled into one for all of Federation.

Gandwarf
05-30-2009, 07:03 PM
City of Control
City of Lockdown
City of Indoctrination
City of Propaganda
City of Nourishment
City of Moral
City of Culture
City of Personality
City of Dynasty
City of Isolation
City of Border
City of the Federation
City of Division
City of Nationalism
City of Inquisition
City of Palace
City of Hope
City of Enlightenment
City of Reason
City of Life
City of Meaning
City of Prosecution
City of Threat
City of Consciousness
City of Awakening
City of Knowledge

Edit: City of Reason is my favorite at the moment... as I can imagine this is a culture that cannot be reasoned with :D

guyanonymous
05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
City of Reason it is - that works well, and is in keeping with their beliefs.

Thanks!

guyanonymous
07-25-2009, 05:00 PM
I've been enjoying the summer outdoors the last while. I thought I'd post a closeup of the area I'm trying to name.

The names that are there give an idea of what each city is about, but I'm not really happy with them. I guess I'm wanting a cross between a Medeival and Steampunk Victorian feel.

Any suggestions are welcome.

(And the City of Reason is in there too...)

Gandwarf
07-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Really like the closeup. My only suggestion/nitpick is that the rivers are hard to see.

guyanonymous
07-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks...and they are a bit fluid (pun intended)...I'll leave it to the "local" maps to be more specific.

guyanonymous
08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Just for those interested - BlueHost (where I hosted that huge image) has a limit (unadvertised) of 50000 files / account - though size is irrelevant. Considering it was made up of ~ 21844 tiles, hosting it and a couple of others, despite little access to them, was an issue for them.

guyanonymous
11-09-2009, 12:33 AM
I stumbled across the Blue Marble, Next Generation on the Visible Earth website today (http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryID=2355). This led me to experiment with combining parts of the topographical maps from there and the map I've been working on when I have some spare time and inspiration.

I was pleased with my hours play tonight. I recognize that some of the snow-peaks etc, don't really line up with my underlying texture, but that's something I can work on.

I was just using feathered sections layered down in the "Pin Light" mode...I'm sure there's a better way - so please tell me if there is!

Ascension
11-09-2009, 08:16 AM
I'd say it looks pretty sweet. You're right about the white peaks but otherwise this looks really good.

Steel General
11-09-2009, 08:18 AM
I like it as well...

guyanonymous
11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
I'll definitely play more with it. I might even dig out my tablet for a bit more control...thanks for the feedback.

guyanonymous
03-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm back experimenting with Abebe and was wondering what you folk though about the river appearance here (not placement)....how does it work for you with the rest of the look/feel of that image?

I'll be looking at how I can combine Tear's style which is what I've used here, and some of my previous experiments.

guyanonymous
03-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Here's a first run.......

guyanonymous
03-13-2010, 03:30 PM
And combining the rivers with the other climate experiments - this time with 4-5 different "tree" layers...

I reduced the inner glow of the shore-line's stroke, as it was causing all the river-banks to look, well, like they were devoid of trees....

Karro
03-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I like the look of it. Stylistically works very well, IMO.

guyanonymous
03-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks Karro!

I'm thinking that these represent something approaching a final "style" for Abebe. The climate example is at 100% resolution, and the mountains is at 50%. I'm liking the mountains now, which is a first - even the larger blobby areas that were formally white (having maxed out, more or less) coming out of FT Pro.

22932 22933

I based this on, for the most part now, Tear's tutorial, with a moderate amount of tweaking of his layer settings and addition of a few layers. Thanks Tear (and everyone else who's helped with tutorials and suggestions so far).

su_liam
03-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Haha, I hope Steel General wasn't thinking of a different name for the City of Fish :D
Maybe City of the Seas or City of the Lakes. Or just City of Water.

City of Docks
City of Wharves
City of Foul Smelling Canneries

?

guyanonymous
03-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for reminding me that I've got a few thousand cities to name :D

guyanonymous
04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Here's the latest incarnation of Abebe. I've been playing lately with climate regions. They've all been applied with procedures, not calculation or by hand, but I'm liking the overall feel of the result. I'll be adding in at least one desert zone.

Any feedback, suggestions, or criticisms are welcomed. (And I know there are some mountain ranges center-mass, but I'm good with that now....)

landorl
04-19-2010, 06:54 PM
All I can say is WOW! No criticisms at all. I love the general shape and the colors, and the hex graph works perfectly.

guyanonymous
01-23-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm finally returning to this project. I'm also starting to experiment with ways to display it online at full resolution. Here's a current incarnation: http://davidpiercey.com/Abebe/abebe-2011-01-22.html

I'm finding that I have to refresh in the browser more than I used to (odd freezes in the running of the map api), though I'm not sure why. If any of you have ideas, let me know.

I'm not sure where to go next. I got bogged down, last time, trying to name everything. I'm trying to rethink my approach.

(This zooms down about 8 levels in and represents a close approximation of the original 30000x15000 image).

EDIT: Just noticed that the the fonts on the compass aren't right...Now I have ot figure out my original font....

Gidde
01-23-2011, 01:41 PM
What an incredible level of detail! Some of your rivers have strange razor-straight stretches though. May want to soften those up just a tad.

guyanonymous
01-23-2011, 01:54 PM
The rivers, yes...their shape is straight from Fractal Terrains. I adjusted placement of each in minor ways, but not actual shape. There are a few parallel ones that run very close as well.

With very few adjustments, everything in here was procedurally done in FT Pro and in Photoshop, and as such could be repeated on another map output from FT PRo (a new version that fixes the straight rivers etc?). In theory after you save out some specific map renders from FT Pro (e.g., water layer, land layer, texture, etc) you could run an action on them in PS and get a map with this styling.

Now that I'm finding a look I like, I'll consider redoing things, but for now the land outline/appearance is 'locked' and I'm trying to figure out a style for labels etc. next.

guyanonymous
01-23-2011, 01:56 PM
And thanks for noticing the detail...I think I've found that balance where enough info is given to let you imagine the rest. If I could go down even deeper to 100m...or 10 m.... or 1m resolution I would too...I love pushing the limits.

Gidde
01-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Ah, I hear ya. Well, it's a minor issue anyhow. The textures are great, and I like the googlemaps-UI you've got going.

guyanonymous
01-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I think most of my texture play started with a tutorial by Tear which integrated the tutorials and experiments shared by others on here. The non-flattened saved PSB file is 22GB+ in size with all the layers in there, but it's basically all modifications of Tear's style. As for the google part - it is google, using this free software: http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/gmapcreator.asp (the 30000x15000 bmp was set with zoom to 8 which makes ~22000 files and builds the html).

I need to figure out how to place my own icons on it ala google maps as well. I'm hoping that I could create a database of locations/names and code to place all the cities etc.

Djekspek
01-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Awesome stuff! a 22GB PS file. Wow! I have trouble with 5GB already when using CS5 (especially when using layer-filters & effects) and I have a rather ok PC.... what hardware specs do you use? btw for custom google map icons, check this site (http://www.powerhut.co.uk/googlemaps/custom_markers.php) (i used that once and it works ok). cheers!

guyanonymous
01-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I've got 12GB of Ram which is better than the 8 I had before, but not enough...next time I can afford another 12GB bank I'll bump up. My biggest issue right now is loading and saving from disk...Most adjustments and tool-bar controls work immediately, but plugin effects range from 5 seconds to never depending on my choice. I have revisions - and when I said I've 'locked down' some of the map, it's because I've started a new revision with many of the layers flattened. Right now I'm working with a 5GB PSB file with the underlying map now consisting of one Normal 100% layer instead of 20 with a range of settings. It's a smidge faster now :D

And thanks for the link!

p.s., I've got an i7 950 if memory serves, and am still using an old 8800 gtx graphics card.

p.p.s. Your link led me to this: http://code.google.com/apis/maps/articles/customicons.html which has the info I need in a way I think I can understand it. Thanks!

Jaxilon
01-23-2011, 03:41 PM
This is excellent and no wonder my machine dogs out. I only have 4gb ram!! dang but I need to build myself a new machine.

guyanonymous
01-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Keeping the working memory OFF of the HD is my main goal with upgrading the memory...when it ends up using HD cache as RAM, things get sluggish.

Gidde
01-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks for posting that link to the GMapsCreator. I've been looking for something like that! I'll have to play with it and see if I can get it to switch pictures on zoom like Google Earth does with different zoom-level satellite pics. This should let me do it without learning the whole API. Yay!

guyanonymous
01-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for posting that link to the GMapsCreator. I've been looking for something like that! I'll have to play with it and see if I can get it to switch pictures on zoom like Google Earth does with different zoom-level satellite pics. This should let me do it without learning the whole API. Yay!

Try a render at zoom 3, zoom 2, and zoom 1...

I think you might be able to...

a. merge the tiles from 2 into 3
b. merge the tiles from 1 into 3 (the one you just merged 2 into),
c. use the html for 3

And end up with a map based on three different (but same res) starting images...with each optimized for different levels of zoom.

guyanonymous
01-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I've been experimenting with overlays in google earth. This will likely be what I use to create my long/lat locations for cities etc....as long as I can export them to a csv/xml file to convert for the html. Don't suppose any of you know how to apply a separate height map in Google Earth?

Gidde
01-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Not I, but I don't see why you'd need to, honestly. That looks bleeping awesome as it is. Rep coming your way, this is turning out to be an awesome project.

guyanonymous
01-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks muchly! I appreciate the positive (and negative) feedback.

Naeddyr
01-31-2011, 06:29 AM
This is looking really, really, really good.

I'm wondering about the hexes though. But then again, there's no way to perfectly tesselate hexes on a sphere.

guyanonymous
01-31-2011, 10:02 AM
No - the hexes aren't great on the sphere, and if I opt to have that as the primary display I might ditch them... and they are on layers so I can always hide them for output to the sphere..... I really notice the distortion of the compass itself. Decisions...hmm.

Naeddyr
01-31-2011, 10:16 AM
The biggest problem is projection distortion. Your map is equirectangular, right? Well, regardless of size, none of those hexes are uniform in shape or size, they're all a bit a skewed, and the polar hexes are bigger than equatorial ones.

guyanonymous
01-31-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't know that hexes will really translate well for a spherical coordinate system even when properly scaled/projected/created on a sphere directly. I'll likely revert to a base 12 long/lat system

RobA
01-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Don't suppose any of you know how to apply a separate height map in Google Earth?

Last time I checked, I found it is not possible.

The terrain in Google Earth is a server-provided data set, you cannot put custom terrain data into Google Earth with a KML file. So until Google provides terrain data for other planets or allows user-custom terrain data, I think you're out of luck.

-Rob A>

Nathan
02-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Wow. This project is truely awesome. :)

guyanonymous
02-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Since this was originally supposed to be repeatable with any future maps, I decided to try documenting (for myself) why I've done so far. As I started I decided to share it here in case anyone else can benefit/improve upon the style. I wish I could remember every tutorial I've looked at or used to learn while creating this map. There have been several, usually mentioned in this thread while I've experimented with them, to which I can direct 90% of the credit. Thanks!

Attached should be a pdf with screen captures of each layer on my main map, captures of selected effects box settings, and some commenting. Hopefully it's of use to someone, even in its very raw form. The image shots are from CS5 (a recent upgrade), but this was all create in CS4 after land-only, water-only, texture-only, heigh-map only maps were output from FT Pro.

EDIT: the pdf is too large, so I'm hosting it here for anyone who wants to grab it: http://rapidshare.com/files/446090758/Abebe-style-notes.pdf

guyanonymous
04-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I noticed that the old link to the pdf file that details with screen captures ever layer and style I used to get this far, well, it died. So here's a new link. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?futegphadv8mxu5

s0meguy
04-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Awesome map. And thank you for the pdf, I'll look through it and I'm sure I can learn something from it as I am new to this and making my first map.

I am curious, can you add country borders and cities to your google maps map? (that function like they would in the normal google earth map?) That would be epic.

guyanonymous
04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks! If you have questions, feel free to ask (if I don't reply very fast, remind me with a PM :D)

As for country borders and cities...you can add labelled markers, at the very least; I'm not sure about the rest. I was experimenting with additional layers for states/regions that did the usual coloured border with gradient to clear, but it didn't work with the map the way I have it now, so I put it off. I'd be putting it on a desaturated version I think.