PDA

View Full Version : Haffenberg

John Anderson
04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi all,
Fresh from the wonderful responses from my Tanners' Row map, I've begun to build up am idea of what the city of Haffenberg, in which Tanners' Row sits, is like. This is my version 1.0 and has basically set up the natural aspects of the area with water, mountains and woods. Stage 2 will involve laying out the districts of the city.

Steel General
04-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Interesting terrain - looking forward to seeing this progress.

joćo paulo
04-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Looks like a meteor fell there!
Let's see where you going with that.

Ascension
04-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Love the idea of the meteorite impact creating the terrain.

Naeddyr
04-03-2009, 05:03 AM
You sometimes see impact craters as a big part of a map, but I don't think I've ever seen a city inside one before. Excellent concept! Are the sides of the crater prominent enough to act as natural barriers? Or do you think people would build walls on top of them?

John Anderson
04-03-2009, 10:50 AM
You sometimes see impact craters as a big part of a map, but I don't think I've ever seen a city inside one before. Excellent concept! Are the sides of the crater prominent enough to act as natural barriers? Or do you think people would build walls on top of them?

Well, to give some scale, here is the picture with Tanners' Row added.
John

Gandwarf
04-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Well, to give some scale, here is the picture with Tanners' Row added.
John

That's looking good. This might turn out into a very sweet map!

industrygothica
04-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Looking good indeed.

-IG

Ascension
04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I really like the procedural way of building up a city map by creating a bunch of city block maps then compositing them onto the city map. This could also be applied to building up a regional map...I'm off on a new foxhunt, thanks.

jaspertjie
04-06-2009, 09:10 AM
lol going to be a big city!
It's a meteor Crater isn't it?

John Anderson
04-07-2009, 04:48 AM
Yeah, when we were laying out the precepts for the RPG that we were going to play, the idea of a huge Warhammer-ish city was thrown around. It just seemed right that the greatest city in the Old World, would be different somehow...and thus Haffenberg was born.

It was remarkably easy to import the illustrator images as BMPs and scale and position it within the city. I've just got to sort out the remaining districts. However, they will (hopefully) grow more from in-game play and will be added as they develop.

I think my next job will be to finish the lands outside the city, but looking at the map, I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I think a couple of villages and the roads seems best.

John

Turgenev
04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I like the way this is going. I am wondering if the area is a meteorite impact crater or the remains of a dormant volcano? Very cool.