PDA

View Full Version : A Lurker's first post--Farlan

znod01
04-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Hello, everyone. Great site and a great community! You treat everyone so well and encourage both the novices and professionals. That's why I'm stepping out of my "Lurkerdom". I'm posting a couple of images from a world building project that I've been working on for a while--as I can find the time.

The maps are done exclusively in Fractal Mapper 8. I have not (yet) done any touch-up in Gimp or PS or the like.

The first image shows the basic layout of the continents and polar ice packs.
The span is 24000 miles
The second shows the 'known world' --the continent of Farlan. The span of this one is around 9200 miles.

I'd like to thank jfrazierjr for mentioning the Guild on the NBOS forum.

Greason Wolfe
04-05-2009, 02:17 AM
As others are so fond of saying . . . Welcome aboard.

That's a pretty nice start. I have FM7 and haven't used it as much as I should have. I might actually upgrade one of these days. Who knows.

And for posting a map with your intro . . . I dub the no longer repless.

GW

Korba
04-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Thats a nice looking map and welcome to the forums. I particularly like the land colors but perhaps when you start tweaking you can match the river and sea color so they blend more.

The Tutorials Section (http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48) has loads of great tutorials for tweaking maps in Gimp and the like. You may also like to read Redrobes tutorial on How To Get your rivers in the right place (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822) if you are looking to make your map accurate (or leave it to magic :) ).

Korba

Gandwarf
04-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Welcome, and yep, it's a nice map.
All the rivers seem to be all right as well, I see no faults :)

Steel General
04-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Have some more rep for showing us a map in your intro post *bonk*

Korash
04-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Looking Good :)

I also believe this to be rep worthy, so to quote SG *bonk*

ravells
04-06-2009, 04:54 PM
It's great to have some FM maps here. Looking forward to seeing more!

Welcome to the Guild and thanks for your kind words!

NeonKnight
04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Looks good. Welcome to the Guild!