View Full Version : Does this tut exist yet?

04-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I was playing around a couple nights ago and stumbled across a ridiculously easy way to make maps that, frankly, look better than anything I've come up with so far. It mainly involves rendering a layer of clouds, duplicating it about a million times, and then doing various things to groups of layers: level adjust, emboss, threshold/alpha mask, and coloring in.

Thing is, I'm pretty new here and this seems simple enough that someone must have already done a tut on it by now, or deemed it too silly to require a tut, and I don't want to get laughed off the board for publishing something. ;)

Also, it's for Paint.NET, although it should translate to GIMP or any of the other programs with no trouble.

So... y'know... would that be worth putting together for y'all?

04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
There is a serious lack of tutorials for Paint.NET here, so please do write it up.

There are a number of clouds-and-threshold tutorials already for the Gimp and Photoshop, but each takes a slightly different approach, and I've found value in all of them despite the significant overlap. Yet another perspective on the technique is welcome.

04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I would think think that any tutorial that is not available for a program (such as almost anything for PDN) would be welcome. As someone who tries out "other prog" tuts in Gimp just to see how they translates, I for one would welcome this. I would also like to see what PDN can do. Another thing is that if there is one person who discovers something in a program, it is a safe bet that there are others who have been trying to figure out how to do it.

All that ramblin' aside, Yes, I think it would be worth while doing this. And do not fear being laughed at. We are a friendly bunch here (for the most part ;) )

04-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I haven't been laughed off the boards yet, in spite of some Seriously Silly things, so, no need to worry about that. Regarding your technique, post some results, give us a taste of what's in store. :)

04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Okay, I'll post, but only if you tell me what the Seriously Silly things consist of, Feralspirit.

04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
That's pretty decent. I don't know what all PDN can and can't do but I could see a few places where I could make a tweak here and there and get my usual style. Post it up, I know there are others here who use PDN so they'll shower you with hugs and praises :) Oh, and don't worry about looking stupid or silly; I do that at least once a day...just roll with it.

04-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey, those are nice. The first being my favorite (nice colors and land definition). Definitely post a tut to produce those. :)

As for confessing...um, er... I guess you could check out the software discussion forum for the Layer effects in GIMP thread, if it hasn't been deleted yet. :oops:

Cheers and Peace out, Heather! :)

04-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Look for something in a couple days. At the moment I have an insistent three-year-old at my elbow.

Steel General
04-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Oh, and don't worry about looking stupid or silly; I do that at least once a day...just roll with it.

If I don't manage that at least 2 or 3 times a day, I view the whole day as a failure :D

04-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey all,
Thanks for the encouragement! The text of the tutorial is finished, but it's currently missing images, and the links to go and download the various plug-ins needed to actually follow along. Those will need to wait another couple of days, though - busy weekend ahead.

Should I throw the text up here anyway, or wait till I'm actually, y'know, done?

04-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Should I throw the text up here anyway, or wait till I'm actually, y'know, done?

You are talking to a bunch of mappers here. Things are never done. At least to our own satisfaction. "I just need to tweek this just a bit more" or "I just thought of something else I could add" :D

Post what you got and add to it when you have time. Just make sure you mention that the tut is not complete 'cause there are a couple of Scribes looking for tuts to make PDFs out of and might be ticked if they have to redo the Tut PDFs over again ;)

04-11-2009, 01:58 AM
I'd wait until the pics are added in. I can certainly follow along with just text but it's nice to see the verification of what I'm doing as I follow along instead of just guessing. Either way, it's your tut...do with it as you will :)

04-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Well, it's up, under its own thread, and I hope it's at least easy to follow. (note the correct usage of apostrophes there)

So far it hsn't seen a lot of traffic, and I know that's in part because few people here use PDN, but still. The techniques should translate pretty well, and I'd like at least a little feedback.