PDA

View Full Version : This site helped me out at work!

Robbie
04-07-2009, 09:47 AM
As some of you may already know. I'm a systems engineer by day, and work with the Navy for Naval Survival Training. I work with a bunch of aerospace physiologists, and we deal with the physiological aspect of survival in relation to aviation. Anything from hypoxia to spatial disorientation.

Currently we're recreating some of the classic spatial-disorientation induced naval mishaps. for example, the CH-46E crash in 1999, and now the EA-6B Prowler crash near Aviano, Italy.

The way we're recreating these mishaps is kind of like a discovery channel approach, we're modeling and rendering the mishap in 3d, and playing them back from the pilots perspective to help demonstrate the spatial illusions that caused the mishap.

Anyways, on to how this site helped me.

A new user posted a link to a tutorial on getting DEM data from Google Earth here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5057

I used that to get the DEM data for the Cavalese valley, and surrounding area so that I can load it into 3d studio as a height map, and actually fly my aircraft through this valley. Here's a few renders from the VERY early stages of the valley recreation. I still have to texture it, and fire up Vue to get some vegetation, and of course put the Gondola and wire in, but its accurately lit based on the lat/long, and time of day/year.

Thank you Cartographers' Guild!

Midgardsormr
04-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Awesome! And someday soon you'll be able to say that the Cartographers' Guild is saving lives!

torstan
04-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Very cool indeed. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

NeonKnight
04-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Awesome. I love hearing how people use our hobby in the real world lives!

Steel General
04-07-2009, 12:21 PM
As a somewhat eccentric 8th grade science teacher used to say... "Neater Than Sneakers"

(he even had a rubber ink stamp with that on it) :P

Feralspirit
04-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Very Cool indeed. While I personally regard mapping as a hobby and past-time, usually bringing my real world knowledge to it, you have applied the information gathered here to your real world experience. Without meaning to gush, or anything, it's kind of exciting. Thanks for sharing that, Arcana. :)

Out of curiosity, what is the scale depicted there?

ravells
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Just goes to show the that the Guild is greater than the sum of its parts. It's amazing how far reaching different uses of mapping are. Can't wait to see a flythough, Robbie!

Ascension
04-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah. I'd like to see the fly-thru as well...if you can that is ;) Coolness.

Robbie
04-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah, its pretty cool stuff, I'm really enjoying the far reachiness of this site...saving lives indeed!

Out of curiosity, what is the scale depicted there?

about 33k meters both ways with about 3200 meters high max.

Sigurd
04-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Just goes to show -- Wherever you go...

There you are!

Sigurd

jfrazierjr
04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Just goes to show the that the Guild is greater than the sum of its parts. It's amazing how far reaching different uses of mapping are. Can't wait to see a flythough, Robbie!

Just make sure you make a version of the fly through were you blow stuff UP!!!!!!:)

Robbie
04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Here's a small update. No texture still, but a quick flythrough of the flight path. They went up the main river and missed their turn (about 3.5 seconds in, not visible)...decided to go over the ridge to get back on track into the cavalese valley, and flew through there.

This isn't speed coordinated or anything, and there's no banking or camera control really to speak of, just a plotted flight path thats going to need some further tweaking.

Hope you guys can see it, its an swf.

Steel General
04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
That is pretty cool Robbie!

Ascension
04-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Whoa, that's way cool! I've always wanted to learn how to do that sort of thing.

jfrazierjr
04-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Here's a small update. No texture still, but a quick flythrough of the flight path. They went up the main river and missed their turn (about 3.5 seconds in, not visible)...decided to go over the ridge to get back on track into the cavalese valley, and flew through there.

This isn't speed coordinated or anything, and there's no banking or camera control really to speak of, just a plotted flight path thats going to need some further tweaking.

Hope you guys can see it, its an swf.

Wheres the splosions????

Steel General
04-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Wheres the splosions????

They are classified :D

Robbie
04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Another update...still kinda early, but now there's some satellite imagery in place (still low res tho) and I added banking. Its still WAY fast, but I'm not worried about that yet.

Near the end you can see the ski lift launch point, and thats of course where the airplane clipped the cable as it flies by that building.

I think I'm coming a little too close to some of those ridges there, and may have to adjust once I get the aircraft model in place. We'll see how close they really are lol.

Anna
04-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Awww that is one great animation!!

Wanting to be back up in the air and feeling the speed when I watch something like that. Great texturing too.

Thank you for doing such a great work trying to prevent mishaps like that from occuring in the future.

Anna