PDA

View Full Version : Damothi

overlordchuck
04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
So, here's what I came up with whilst following Pyrandon's tutorial: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=530

It was quick, so there's not an extensive amount of detail. Just trying to get the basics of that tutorial down.

altasilvapuer
04-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Well, I must say: That Compass Rose is simply spectacular. ;)

I really enjoy the feel of everything. The only things I notice are the stark contrast between the forests and the hills and houses. I think the houses could actually use a tiny bit more definition, and the forests a tiny bit less. I'm not sure about the hills, yet, but I think they'll turn out pretty well as they are.

The water, too, looks amazing, but the river borders look a little abrupt, currently. Perhaps something to blend more smoothly from water to shore?

Is that a bazaar or a carnival in the Southern Quarter? Either way, I love the look of it. The sudden burst of colour adds something quite amazing to the city.

Looks really good for a quick run-through!

-asp

Ascension
04-09-2009, 12:56 AM
I'm liking it...it has it's own certain airy feel and atmosphere that certainly diverges from Pyrandon's tut while still retaining the basic floorplan of city map making. The bursts of light and color really add something for me. Pretty cool.

overlordchuck
04-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the input.

I really enjoy the feel of everything. The only things I notice are the stark contrast between the forests and the hills and houses. I think the houses could actually use a tiny bit more definition, and the forests a tiny bit less. I'm not sure about the hills, yet, but I think they'll turn out pretty well as they are.

As I said, this was mostly just a test, but I'm seriously thinking of either going back and touching this up a bit more or making a brand new map to build on what I learned. As I was writing this, I also realized that I posted this in Regional Mapping rather than City Mapping. Oops.

Is that a bazaar or a carnival in the Southern Quarter? Either way, I love the look of it. The sudden burst of colour adds something quite amazing to the city.

That is totally a bazaar. Glad you like it.

Greason Wolfe
04-09-2009, 04:54 AM
Very nice so far.

As others have said, the water looks great, but what really caught my eye was the subtlety of the buildings and roads along with what (at least to me) looks like some atmospheric shading from an unseen cloud cover. The smaller roads and alleys are there just enough to be seen without dominating the clusters of buildings.

The only thing that really struck me as looking odd was how abruptly the forested areas ended, almost as if some trees were cut in half. Then again, my eyes aren't what they used to be, so I could very well be seeing things.

All in all, thumbs up from me and I'm looking forward to seeing more work from you.

GW

NeonKnight
04-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Looks good. Personally would love a more detailed map. But then, that's me :D

Steel General
04-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I like it, but to me the compass rose tends to dominate the image, you might consider shrinking it down a bit.

Naeddyr
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I like it. What're the colourful bits in the square? Market stalls? Also, isn't that the compass that is also used in the forum banner? Neat.

overlordchuck
04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Again, thanks for the input. I agree with the compass, and I think I'm going to have to find a way to better that in the future. I can't remember where it is on the forums, but it's here alright.

Anyway, stayed up all night working on this one. Basically, I've tried making a new map for extra practice, following a couple of different tutorials and still just trying to find a style that really clicks. Think I'm getting closer...

Gandwarf
04-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Your style is evolving quite nicely, have some rep. I would love to see more city maps on this forum.

The buildings and streets in the city do not look fully natural yet. There's too much open space, buildings aren't aligned with the main roads, etc. But probably you already know this.

overlordchuck
04-10-2009, 01:41 AM
The buildings and streets in the city do not look fully natural yet. There's too much open space, buildings aren't aligned with the main roads, etc. But probably you already know this.

Yeah, unfortunately. Again, still just trying to find a method that really works. I think I'm getting closer, but there's still things wrong obviously, mostly like you said: Buildings and roads seem to be the main problem. They were a problem in the first incarnation as well. Oh well. Gotta keep trying, I guess.

CartoGeo
04-11-2009, 03:47 AM
Have you thought about using profantasy's CD3 to design the roads and layout of your city only and then import that into Photoshop and do the rest of the terrain/stuff as post production type work?

I am curious if (and I am sure someone has) done this and to what success you or anyone else has had with it?

Also... another tool which I have only played with for a short time is the City Map Generator which was out on the internet as freeware. Its very good IF you are just looking for a 'sketch' and something to go by.

overlordchuck
04-11-2009, 03:59 AM
I am not aware of this city generator, though if anyone knows where I can find it, I would greatly appreciate a link. The CD3 idea is not bad, but I have to say that I am CC3 retarded at this moment. I know my way around PS, but I'll be damned if I can figure out CC3.

But I guess that'll be good for future reference. I guess I'll have another map up as soon as I can just figure out how to work the stupid program.

pasis
04-11-2009, 06:59 AM
I like this second try more. The first had too soft/blurred hills, but this second one doesn't have that problem. I second to Gandwar about the buildings and roads and maybe you should consider a different texture to the city walls. And even with these small issues it's defenately worth reputation...Keep on doing this, I want to see more...

Gandwarf
04-11-2009, 07:26 AM
The CD3 idea is not bad, but I have to say that I am CC3 retarded at this moment. I know my way around PS, but I'll be damned if I can figure out CC3.

Did you watch the CC3 tutorials on YouTube? They should give you a nice start.

CartoGeo
04-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I am not aware of this city generator, though if anyone knows where I can find it, I would greatly appreciate a link.

Here is the link to the RPG Random City Generator 5.1 (http://web.archive.org/web/20071127062508/http://www.drachenzahn.de/city_map_generator/roleplaying_city_map_generator.zip)

Also... here is the download for it RPG City Generator 5.1 Update (http://web.archive.org/web/20071127062508/http://www.drachenzahn.de/city_map_generator/roleplaying_city_map_generator_update.zip)!

I have only played around with it once but I think I will be using it as a 'guide' to get some inspiration when it comes to the layout of a city, town, village...

Enjoy.

overlordchuck
04-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Here is the link to the RPG Random City Generator 5.1

This is a program of unspeakable power, sir, and I thank you for it.

overlordchuck
04-13-2009, 12:52 AM
So, after giving the map generator a spin, I discovered something. I am wholly unable to export the map. Does anybody know why this is or how I can fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind, problem solved. After searching the forums, I found a download of v5.40, which has the export feature, here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=48042&postcount=16

guyanonymous
04-13-2009, 01:12 AM
:O

in awe.

NeonKnight
04-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Bit of a thread jack here, and my apologies.

The one thing I have been witnessing in city maps of late is a little bit of a per peeve of mine.

In no way is any city or town, or even village a collection of individual buildings, each separate from the other. In the real world, and I am sure in the fantasy world as well, space is of a premium, and as a result buildings were and are clustered together, and built adjacent to each other, sharing external walls.

Here is a view of London showing row houses:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.47881,-0.114766&spn=0.003628,0.009656&t=k&z=17

A section of Paris:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=48.851197,2.333361&spn=0.003833,0.009656&t=k&z=17

Part of Athens near the Sea:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=athens+greece&sll=38.22092,20.983887&sspn=9.368387,19.775391&ie=UTF8&ll=37.927646,23.636404&spn=0.002298,0.004828&t=k&z=18

Rome, (Just north of the Collesium)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=athens+greece&sll=38.22092,20.983887&sspn=9.368387,19.775391&ie=UTF8&t=k&ll=41.893756,12.491015&spn=0.004337,0.009656&z=17

Del-ar-Beida Morroco

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=33.598392,-7.645508&spn=0.004852,0.009656&t=k&z=17

The point is, the buildings share adjoining walls, making them clusters of 'superbuildings" in a sense.

So, for me, while the City Generator does a good job, This is where I think the generator falls flat, as does making brushes in photoshop. The city ends up being a collection of individual buildings, and not the cloistered, claustrophobic place they actually are. The only place our modern cities have clusters of individual buildings separated from each other is the 'Suburb', the collection of residential houses we are familiar with.

overlordchuck
04-13-2009, 04:01 AM
Unfortunately, you are correct. The only problem is that to make it that realistic is an intensely more difficult process than using a pattern or a brush or a generator. I'm still trying to figure this whole town-mapping thing, so I haven't yet progressed really to the realistic house blocks. Instead, I'm just trying to get a feel for the process.

On a side note, I have tried a third map using Pyrandon's OTHER tutorial. Unfortunately, for good Sir Daniel, it was used with the generator and therefore has widely dispersed houses. I find I like this style a bit better, and I intend to keep working at this, refining the process and whatnot.

pasis
04-13-2009, 05:21 AM
The trees in forest texture are too big compared to the houses and it doesn't look natural. Try reducing the forest and maybe the fields texture too.

Ramah
04-13-2009, 07:20 AM
I know this is about the city and not the terrain but that loop of river looks highly unlikely.

Gandwarf
04-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Well, this layout looks a lot better, even though the houses are so tiny it's hard to see any details. It seems the city generator can be put to great use in creating farming communities.

Once you add walls to a city like this the layout doesn't work anymore. Buildings will then start sharing walls for sure, like Neonknight said.

Karro
04-13-2009, 10:30 AM
I know this is about the city and not the terrain but that loop of river looks highly unlikely.

Got to disagree. Real life rivers do that stuff all the time; even, perhaps particularly, at this scale. In fact, what seems more unlikely, to my eyes, is the long straight stretch in the northwest corner (particularly as that stretch looks like it punches right into some highlands, when there's a perfectly nice low-lying area right to the right where all the farms are).

Ramah
04-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Got to disagree. Real life rivers do that stuff all the time; even, perhaps particularly, at this scale.

Well I admit I'm no expert in rivers so yeah, I'm probably wrong but can a river double back on itself like that? The bit where the river splits is at an angle of like, 130 degrees to the current direction, and while I guess the lay of the land could maybe allow this (if there's a sharp drop in that direction maybe), I would imagine that part of the mouth leading up to it would be eroded. At any rate, such an offshoot would surely be much thinner than the river which spawned it?

Steel General
04-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Holy large # of bridges Batman! :)

Gandwarf
04-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Haha, now that you mention it. Yeah, it's a bit unrealistic. But Chuck is just experimenting.

Karro
04-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Well I admit I'm no expert in rivers so yeah, I'm probably wrong but can a river double back on itself like that? The bit where the river splits is at an angle of like, 130 degrees to the current direction, and while I guess the lay of the land could maybe allow this (if there's a sharp drop in that direction maybe), I would imagine that part of the mouth leading up to it would be eroded. At any rate, such an offshoot would surely be much thinner than the river which spawned it?

Oh, so you're talking about the section with the small island, and not the about face turn further downstream?

I'll concede that that part of the river could use a little work. Although islands do form in rivers, I'm not so sure that a branch that flows around such an island will commonly double back on itself before rejoining the main river.

overlordchuck
04-13-2009, 01:10 PM
The trees in forest texture are too big compared to the houses and it doesn't look natural. Try reducing the forest and maybe the fields texture too.

I see what you mean. Kind of missed that.

Obviously they are a race of skilled bridge builders :D If dwarves can always live in massive mine fortresses, there should be a race obsessed with building bridges, and lots of 'em.

I'll be the first to admit that the map's way off, but I'm mostly just trying to find a style that really works well.

Thanks for all the criticism and help and such, guys.

EDIT:

I'll concede that that part of the river could use a little work. Although islands do form in rivers, I'm not so sure that a branch that flows around such an island will commonly double back on itself before rejoining the main river.

Another explanation: The bridgebuilding race is also full of aquamancers :D Bridges and rivers walk hand-in-hand, after all.

Ascension
04-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Aside from the trees I think this looks great. I'd like to see it a bit bigger so that I can go in there and wander the streets (in my imagination).