PDA

View Full Version : *** April 09 Challenge [Sponsored] - A habitation for the CWBP ***

ravells
04-09-2009, 04:54 AM
Our apologies for the delay in posting up this month's challenge...but isn't anticipation a wonderful thing? :)

This month's competition has been kindly sponsored by Clercon who will donate a US$50 Profantasy voucher to the lucky winner*. We are excited to have other potential sponsored challenges in the pipeline for future monthly challenges.

Here are the rules for this month's competition:

Design and map a habitation for the CWBP (http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55) which has not already been mapped.

For those of you who don't already know, the CWBP, or the Cooperative World Building Project, is a Conworld created by members of the Cartographers' Guild. The objective is to map a Fractal Terrains world in sections of about 800 miles square. The first Region, [Region 1] has now been pretty much mapped by way of 25 or so maps, and we are now in the process of mapping the habitations (cities, towns, forts, mines etc) within it.

To choose a habitation to map, go to the CWBP main page (click here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)) and sort the threads by clicking on the 'thread' header in the brown bar at the top of the screen. This will sort the threads by regional maps and by cities / towns / areas within each regional map. Then select a regional map - There are about 25 maps to choose from (e.g. [Region 1][Map 01] Ash coast (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2174) or [Region 1][Map 06] The Thanelands of Skolvendun (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1779)) and scope out the habitations on it find one that you like (making sure that it has not already been mapped) and then start a thread with the town name and region where they can be clearly seen in your initial post (preferably in your thread title).

Example required info: [Region 1][Map 25][Town 4] - Port Magalie

Habitations must be chosen on a 'first come / first served' basis. That is, if someone else has already stated an intention to map a habitation by posting a challenge thread, you must map a different habitation. There should be plenty of habitations to go around.

That's it. No extra rules, no little extra requirements to trip you up. Although the prize is a profantasy voucher your map does not have to be made using profantasy software.

Do try to ensure that your town in in keeping with the general idea of the area you are mapping though! Check the CWBP Wiki (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Main_Page) for any details of the region in which your town is located.

Do not get hung up on what constitutes a 'habitation' - it's basically any built up area where people live. The voters will decide individually whether your map qualifies.

Best of luck to all for the competition!

* Subject to Clercon confirming on this thread that he is still up for sponsoring this month's challenge.

Clercon
04-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Well here is me confirming the prize. So yes I will give away a 50$ profantasy voucher to the winner of the April 09 challenge. Tis is a way for me to say thank you to all the members that helped me creating the maping style that later was published by profantasy as the April issue of the 09 annuals. The winner will have to PM me his mail address and I send him the voucher by mail. The voucher is in $, so if the winner is from outside the states he or she needs to have the voucher in . Then I have to convert the voucher....so the winner has to wait a bit longer for the prize.

Well good luck to everyone...and have fun :-)

ravells
04-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks Clercon! It was a while back when you made your offer, and given the amount that had passed, I didn't want to make any assumptions!

bryguy
04-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Im a bit confused....

Do we have to map an unmapped area in the CWBP?? Or what???

Sorry, Im getting easily confused today

Oh, and what is Profantasy??

Edit: I notice that [Region 1] [Map 2] has not been done. Would I be allowed to do that?

jfrazierjr
04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Im a bit confused....

Do we have to map an unmapped area in the CWBP?? Or what???

Sorry, Im getting easily confused today

Edit: I notice that [Region 1] [Map 2] has not been done. Would I be allowed to do that?

The idea is to find a region in the existing (even if said region has not been mapped yet) and create a map for a town/city/village which fits the theme of the region you picked.

Clercon
04-09-2009, 11:00 AM

Profantasy is a company that makes maping software. If you go to www.profantasy.com you'll see for yourself.

bryguy
04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
LoLz Just wondering (Again), but how do we title our entry for this month??

Something like April Entry: [Region 1][Map #][Something #] The Great Cavern??

Redrobes
04-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I would imagine that its titled much like all the previous months and that at the end of the month the threads will be renamed or copied.

I'll do thumbnails here again this month. Whether I have any time to do any mapping or not is in doubt tho. Pretty hectic, got some backlog and we've missed quite a few days already. Still the thumbs don't take too long now.

### New Challenge Entry:Korba,5102
### New Challenge Entry:Overwatch,5105
### New Challenge Entry:Bryguy,5106
### New Challenge Entry:Ascension,5111
### New Challenge Entry:Valarian,5116
### New Challenge Entry:Benarius,5117
### New Challenge Entry:Drahyden,5123
### New Challenge Entry:RogueLeader89,5126
### New Challenge Entry:Korash,5127
### New Challenge Entry:JoaoPaulo,5135
### New Challenge Entry:FeralSpirit,5136
### New Challenge Entry:SteelGeneral,5139
### New Challenge Entry:ajwa68,5173
### New Challenge Entry:Albrechtw4,5211
### New Challenge Entry:Koor,5235
### New Challenge Entry:ravells,5249
### New Challenge Entry:Map Vandal,5260

Steel General
04-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I hope I have time to come up with something, though my last city map about destroyed my shoulder. :D

Good thing this can be just a simple village.

industrygothica
04-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Eek! I guess it's about time I get back to it, there's going to be loads of new stuff to add to the wiki now.

Might want to make sure that everyone is aware that this contest is (or should be) limited to Region 1 only, since Region 2 is Gamerprinter's solo project.

Might be time to try out my new version of Photoshop now...

-IG

overwatch
04-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I never really looked at the CWBP before now. There is some very cool stuff.

Importantly: props to RedRobes for having an awesome link in his signature:
http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Indexes/CWBP_Index.htm

(navigating without it was a nightmare, haha)

Sagenlicht
04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
This might be a dump question but... by habitation you mean cities, castles etc. right? Or could be a larger part of that regional map, lets say I'll take a regional map with a lake and map that lake and its surroundings?

Redrobes
04-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Importantly: props to RedRobes for having an awesome link in his signature... etc
Cheers, I maintain about 3 indexes and the members map. One is of all the members intro posts which usually contain a little about themselves so I can go back and think - so who the hell was this guy again... aha that guy ! There is the CWBP one and I also do the over view map which I ought to inline here again cos its useful I think for this challenge. Then there is the index by keyword which was really useful but has since been overtaken by the tagging on the site but its still there anyways. And I hope you have yourself on the members map... thats just for fun and when theres some convention or other real world event that links people up if they feel like it. I'll go and get the CWBP overview map now - its prob a little out of date so mail back if you think so.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTiles_TN.png (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTiles.png)

Click for larger version...

Ohh 300 rep ! Do I get an extra +1 ???? Cool !

More edits: I have just updated all the indexes and realized that I also do the finished maps index too. In the same vein I also do the thumbnails for the challenges too so you will see my earlier post fill up with the entrants as well. The link to the thumbs is via the sticky thread at top of challenge topic.

ravells
04-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks Redrobes! That makes life a lot easier!

Ascension
04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Hey Red...would it be possible to do that map up as a web image map thingy? Each section then takes ya to the finished regional map...that way I can look at each map easily and find undone towns. It would be even cooler if each regional map was an image map where the finished towns had links.

industrygothica
04-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey Red...would it be possible to do that map up as a web image map thingy? Each section then takes ya to the finished regional map...that way I can look at each map easily and find undone towns. It would be even cooler if each regional map was an image map where the finished towns had links.

That's actually on my to-do list, I just haven't made it that far down. Guess I'll have to re-prioritize now that it's needed my more people than just me.

-IG

Gamerprinter
04-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I would love to participate with this one, but no time.

I haven't even got to work much on my Kaidan adventure arc and setting. I am working on 3 maps for Dementia 5. I am wrapping (trying) on Profantasy's Modern Map object set - got about 100 left to make. And I just got 3 maps for I.C.E. on commission.

Really all I want to do is spend time of Kaidan, and I can barely get to it.

Besides if I participated in the challenge, I'd be cheating and do something in Region 2... oh well :(

GP

bartmoss
04-10-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm so totally passing on this one, especially considering there were many much more interesting suggestions in the challenge suggestions thread.

ajwa68
04-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi

I am new to the board and returning to mapmaking after 20+ years

I have an idea for a wetlands/marsh small town but I don't know where to place it? does it have to be an existing habitation or make it up and plonk it in a likely place? Can someone point me in the right direction?

I am thinking marsh or wetland area, maybe a delta or on a navigable river. Marshland can provide good defence and economic viability (fish, agriculture etc) I am envisioning maybe a waypoint or trading station with inns, boat building, provisioning etc.

Any pointers welcome!

Cheers

industrygothica
04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi

I am new to the board and returning to mapmaking after 20+ years

I have an idea for a wetlands/marsh small town but I don't know where to place it? does it have to be an existing habitation or make it up and plonk it in a likely place? Can someone point me in the right direction?

I am thinking marsh or wetland area, maybe a delta or on a navigable river. Marshland can provide good defence and economic viability (fish, agriculture etc) I am envisioning maybe a waypoint or trading station with inns, boat building, provisioning etc.

Any pointers welcome!

Cheers

I think it needs to be an existing point already on one of the maps. Sounds like if you'll read up on the Thrubmorton Fens you might find something to your tastes...

-IG

ajwa68
04-13-2009, 06:56 PM
IG

Obviously really going by the name, I've been ploughing through the wiki and forums plenty of ideas going on here. I am now looking for a suitable location on the fens. Cheers!

Redrobes
04-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Hi ajwa68 & welcome,

Depending on what you have in mind for the Thrubmorton Fen thing the main thing to remember is that in that area most of the people are on the high ground and the lizard men infest the swamp. This is especially true to the North gravitating to the Deathchaser Fen where you have to be mad or somebody with a band of blood lusty viking types to go there.

If your looking for a more peaceful area with access to water then you could put a town / village down on the left of the tile under Knights tomb and have something going into that lake to the left of Snapgallows or on the rivers which go into the lake. That lake goes into Vronti Lake and onwards towards the sea so that there might be some chance of doing some goods shuttling to Villdoan or Harrle in the lands of Skolvendun.

I don't think it has to be an existing place. I always imagined that there were villages scattered among the maps too small to put a proper marker against.

Edit - possible locations on the Fens. To the left is Neons tile and he might be able to suggest locations for that too.

ajwa68
04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks Redrobes

I was thinking of the delta at the top of Lake Festas (do you have a name for that area?)

A small town (pop 300) of merchants and associated trades.

Redrobes
04-13-2009, 07:45 PM
You can do. You should note that there are a lot of Centaur on those plains who we have been told dont take to human encroachment too well. In my tile I have a few outposts situated on the tops of the hills looking out over the plains. There are lightly manned with guards on rotation to the other forts. Not much to do up there really other than to keep an eye out for an invading force. So if you can think of a way that this would integrate then you could do that.

Theres a map I am being hit with which is this Kalabar one too. I dont know quite what thats all about actually. I'll try to find out and add in. But its showing a 500+ pop village on the bank at the top.

Edit: Kalabari details over here...
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2188

(Theres nothing at all in the wiki for Kalabar so I think we should add something !)

ajwa68
04-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Just reading the Kalabar stuff, quite interesting and impacts on Lake Festas as a whole. I hadn't come up with a race or demographic but was heading towards a Norse type which fits with the Kalabari. It all sounds a bit complicated down there though. I like the locations below Knights tomb and the trade with Skolvendun.

The town (village) name I have been playing with is Gorsmering

Redrobes
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Thats cool. Well, you have a better idea of whats happening in the regions now.

The area under KnightsTomb is pretty virgin. Snapgallows the town is well done but the area surrounding was not detailed too much more. I think it would be good in general to have a shipping route from the sea into the Thrub region and that little area is the only sensible link to the sea.

Think about what fits best with your idea and start a thread.

overwatch
04-25-2009, 10:36 AM
What is the deadline on this month's Challenge? (if possible) We did get started on the 9th, and I've seemingly challenged myself by picking a city with a population of 20000! :o

ravells
04-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Its a about 2 or 3 days before the end of the month officially although we do sometimes overrun if were too busy to do the voting page. You've got a huge challenge to map something that big in so short a time.

industrygothica
04-25-2009, 12:30 PM
What is the deadline on this month's Challenge? (if possible) We did get started on the 9th, and I've seemingly challenged myself by picking a city with a population of 20000! :o

What about if you halved the population? There's no real details on the city yet; I'm sure whosever area it is won't mind too much.

Oh, wait.. that's me. ;)

Seriously, I had intended for it to be a major area, but whatever you need to do to make it work for you is cool with me. I'm just happy to see someone working on an area in the Witchlight Strand besides me.

-IG

Arcana
04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
We're running this one long. Firm Deadline is sometime mid-day April 30th. Voting will run into May, and overlap May's challenge.

ravells
04-28-2009, 03:44 PM
That works since it started late anyway, but should we tell the contestants that they have time?

Arcana
04-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Thats what this thread is for? Did you think this was still in CL discussion?

ravells
04-29-2009, 12:30 PM
LOL ! Yes I did!