PDA

View Full Version : The Shires of Somery

bernvill
04-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi all!

I stumbled over the forum a few days ago, and it is really an inspiring experience to browse through the posts and study all the efforts of the members of the community. It is apparent (from the posts I have seen so far) that the general interest is in fantasy maps, so I thought I would add a bit of ordinary "Ordnance Survey" style mapping. The Shires of Somery is a country that has been with me for more than a decade, but in 2001 I found an online roleplaying game called Vexillium that raised it from occasional pondering to a more thought through concept. The language spoken in the country is a sort of archaic English, or more specifically, the way English may have been spoken if William the Conqueror had not got out of bed that fateful day in the year 1066, and had not had his French-speaking nobility take over Anglo-Saxon England. That also means that some place names have an apparent Celtic origin, although most of them are Anglo-Saxon, or Somerish as the people of the Shires would call it.
Well, enough rambling for now. Here is a general map of the country. Comments are welcome.

Somery (http://bernvill.se/somery/maps/somery.jpg)

Redrobes
04-09-2009, 02:36 PM
You map is very nice. We don't have enough Atlas style maps on here. If you haven't already seen them the ones by 'Handsome Rob' are worth a look too. The place names are very good. All the Wold's and the Mere's are fun and I live next to several examples of each i.r.l.

torstan
04-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I like it a lot, and it's especially lovely to see the care and attention to the linguistic background.

Welcome to the guild.

Naeddyr
04-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Very nice, and more conlanging is always appreciated. :)

Steel General
04-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice job, very easy on the eyes.

Ascension
04-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Great stuff man. I hope you do more.

Shaelic
04-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey Bo,

This is Scott from Vex! I really love this map. Somery is one of the best developed and deep nations in the game and accompanied with a great website!

Looking forward to the super huge vector based PDF version 8)

Take care!

bernvill
02-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey all. It's been a while and the map has developed quite a bit. Here is a (very) big pdf (13.5 MB) of it http://bernvill.se/somery/maps/somery.pdf

Diamond
02-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Good lord! That's amazing...

arsheesh
02-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Holy Cow, just look at all the detail! That is just an insane number of names to have to come up with. Looks great though, very well laid out. Great job. Here's some rep.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Steel General
02-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Yikes! You have been busy haven't you? Nicely done! :)